Shall i go to uni?

Soldato
Hate to say but its not in most cases, agreed in some certain areas you absolutely have to have a degree but in my experience, (talking to previous and my current boss) a prospective employer will take job experience in the relevant field over a qualification every time

Ive got both now, so Im sure a prospective employer we take me over some one with just one of those attribute.

What happens if Mr experience gets the job? Will he get a degree while he works there? No, but it does work vice-versa.

Soldato
I mean what are you going to do if you don't go to uni in all fairness?

Lol

Ive got both now, so Im sure a prospective employer we take me over some one with just one of those attribute.

What happens if Mr experience gets the job? Will he get a degree while he works there? No, but it does work vice-versa.

thats a win win situation and not what the original statement was about, if you have both your onto a winner (unless there is a better candidate) but as I said job experience > a degree

Permabanned
Im really stuck at the moment guys, and am turning to you :)

Basically, in my 2nd year of sixth form, getting by, im not going to get brilliant grades, i mean, all B's would be awesome for me.

Now i dont know if i want to go to uni or not, and if i do what i want to do :(

I get the feeling if i dont go to Uni, ill be missing out on loads of fun, and i might end up working at Bennetts (Part time job) for the rest of my life.

If i do, i feel i might come out with a degree thats cost me LOADS and doesnt really get me anywhere :(

So basically, bit of a rant, but just after some ideas of courses that you guys do, at the moment i thinking architectural design, as ive always loved the designs of old buildings and the way theyre built etc.

Anyway, throw some ideas at me please,

Cheers,
Dan

Guessing you're not doing well in English? :D

Architecture's fun, though I would think studying it in a classroom type environment isn't fun.

I've worked in an Architectural environment for about 2 years now, I'm now an CAD/Architectural Technician (looking for work though :().

While I was working, it was great, I regularly took the incentive to take my own direction and put it in to the work I was doing.

Soldato
OP
Guessing you're not doing well in English? :D

Architecture's fun, though I would think studying it in a classroom type environment isn't fun.

I've worked in an Architectural environment for about 2 years now, I'm now an CAD/Architectural Technician (looking for work though :().

While I was working, it was great, I regularly took the incentive to take my own direction and put it in to the work I was doing.

Posted off my iPhone, so cant see the full message ;)

Soldato
To be fair, it does seem like he isn't sure what he'll be doing if he doesn't go to uni.
Well it's basically either go to uni or get an apprenticeship if you ever wanna be earning good money.

I don't fancy a dead end mcjob really. And theres not much to advance in without real qualifications. Military isn't an option seeing as I'm anti war.

Some people can deal with having a dead end job, me, I want to be earning good money.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
To be fair, it does seem like he isn't sure what he'll be doing if he doesn't go to uni.

Kind of true if im honest, sure ive got a dab hand in IT and understand networks, but what is that going to get me, a boring bottom end IT support job, and in all honesty, apart from music thats my only speciality (And im not good enough at music for it to be speciality :()

Permabanned
Kind of true if im honest, sure ive got a dab hand in IT and understand networks, but what is that going to get me, a boring bottom end IT support job, and in all honesty, apart from music thats my only speciality (And im not good enough at music for it to be speciality :()

If you are interested in Architecture, go for it.

I wouldn't recommend a university course for it though, an apprenticeship type of thing is going to be far more beneficial than any work you do in the class room.

I've met Architects who know less about architecture, design and construction than I do.

If you're interested in it, feel free to add me on MSN, we can have a chat about it if you want. :)

Soldato
OP
If you are interested in Architecture, go for it.

I wouldn't recommend a university course for it though, an apprenticeship type of thing is going to be far more beneficial than any work you do in the class room.

I've met Architects who know less about architecture, design and construction than I do.

If you're interested in it, feel free to add me on MSN, we can have a chat about it if you want. :)

Added :)

Soldato
Well it's basically either go to uni or get an apprenticeship if you ever wanna be earning good money.

I don't fancy a dead end mcjob really. And theres not much to advance in without real qualifications. Military isn't an option seeing as I'm anti war.

Some people can deal with having a dead end job, me, I want to be earning good money.

You are so unbelievably deluded it's almost sad, but hey, all the best to you.

Man of Honour

It amazes me that nobody manages to realise this bar you.

Every time the Uni threads come up the 'I didnt go to Uni but I dont care because experience is everything' crowd arrive, under the mistaken apprehension that 3 years experience is some sort of amazingly awesome attribute.

News flash: It's not. Further news flash: Just because you have 'experience' doesn't make you any good. I have over 10 years experience in playing CS and I'm still crap at it. I had a guy with 25 years windscreen fitting experience turn up to my house 2 weeks ago and proceed to completely ruin the front wing and bonnet during the complete hash he made of the job. Experience is often over-rated.

10 years after you graduate you have 10 years experience and a degree. Your mate who didnt bother has... 13 years experience. Not such a big advantage now, eh?

Soldato
I'd take a gap year, do a little work maybe try get some exposure to the kind of job you think you want to do. This could be via some form of voluntary work experience.

I would definitely recommend uni though. I wasn't going to go and am immensely glad I did, it changed me completely. Uni is not just about education, you learn life skills.

Associate
I was just like you 2 years ago, I wasn't 100% sure what to do at uni and even if I wanted to go. Luckly for me a got an apprenticeship only 5 min away from my house doing electrical but if I hadnt got it I still may still be here thinking about uni.

I had to go to surry uni with the girlfriend as she is about to go uni next year and it did look good and made me a bit dissapointed that i will never go as it looked very good.

But to be honist im happy doing what i'm doing now. Learning and getting paid :).

I know you would have heard it 100 times but don't go if you're not sure on what to do or where to go, you may not like it. There is always the year after aswell. Don't rush into it.

Back
Top Bottom