Sharepoint 3.0 migration

Associate
hi I have been tasked by my manager to set up a testing environment of an existing sharepoint farm on our network. this has to be setup in our development domain I have tried to build it from scratch and trenspose the databases over using backups but they are not being exepted bacause theyes were biult on a different domain and the database passwords and usernames are not accepted.I think the problem is the diferent domains.

I am at a lose end and my bossis already shouting deadlines can anyone hel
p

thanks

Soldato
You using STSADM? Does the migrateuser flag help at all?

Something like:

STSADM -o migrateuser -oldlogin PROD\MD -newlogin TEST\test0r -ignoresidhistory

Aint tried it personally, our test farm was on the same domain.

Associate
Take a backup from Central Admin on the live system. Install SharePoint and SQL in the test environment, try and use the same server names then restore sharepoint in central admin. Obviously things like the AD sync will be different and you may get issues with Site Permissions etc.

Associate
Are you running WSS 3.0 or MOSS (sounds like the former).

I would create a new farm in the development domain, restore the content databases to the development SQL server and manually create the Web Apps for the dev environment using the restored content DBs. That's what we did when we moved our MOSS environment over from one AD domain to another. You'll have to clean up site permissions, and reconfigure Central Admin settings but this is no biggy.

Another thing to check if the databases will not restore is what service pach level you're running, these need to match as service packs and major updates will modify the database schema.

Back
Top Bottom