Sharing folders/drives on network

Associate
Hi,

i have a laptop running xp that has some usb drives (and some folder locations) that i want to share with my desktop pc over my network.

What is the best way to do this, with read-write access from the desktop pc? I want to have a password on it, so only i can access these files/directories

thanks

Associate
OP
Hi,

How do i actually go about setting it up?
On my xp (pro) machine, i've set simple sharing off, and have shared a folder (i can't see password options, but i'll sort that out later).

On my laptop (named laptopname), if i go to \\laptopname\ i can see the shared folder, and see files, but can't write to that area (as i've set it only to read), so its kinda working on that end (but obviously its only local anyway).
if i go to \\win7box\ on my xp machine it waits a while then says "windows cannot find \\win7box\..."

if i go to \\laptopname\ on windows 7, it waits a while and just does nothing.
if i go to \\win7box\ on windows 7 (named win7box), same thing - it waits a while and does nothing

On my xp machine i'm running zonealarm, and on windows 7 im running "pc tools firewall" (couldn't get ZA on win 7). Do i have to open ports? or is it a case of changing settings in win 7?

thanks

Back
Top Bottom