Shimano Xt Deore

Associate
Running Shimano XT 10 speed rear 11 -36 with 24/32/42 front chainring, anyone recommend going over to single chainring with new rear groupset, many benefits of just a single chainring?

Soldato
It's quite an expensive upgrade.

Pros:
Lighter weight
Less components so less clutter and arguably less maintenance

Cons:
Price to change
Argualbly less gear range depending on configuration. My ex has 1x11 sram nx and its fine for mountain biking but you do tend to run out of gears on the flat if you want to get some speed up.

Personally I wouldn't bother, replacing chains and cassettes is quite a bit cheaper for 9 or 10 speed cassettes.

If I was buying a new bike I'd be looking at a 1x12 group set. But I just don't think it's worth the faf and cost to 'upgrade' just to keep on trend. Money would be better spent on new forks/wheels/tyres.

Just my opinion though

Associate
OP
mattyfez You have confirmed my original thoughts, I will keep exactly how it is, it gives a better range, and apart from a little more maintenance keeping the shifting exact, it generally works well. thanks for input

Soldato
I bought some aftermarket jockey wheels on my last bike, aluminium rather than plastic and they had a proper bearing cartridge rather than a Bush. They seemed to run better but a bit more noise in terms of chain clatter than the plastic bushed ones they replaced.

Not sure if deore jockeys are bushed or have bearings...plastic jockeys with a bearing rather than Bush I guess I'd prefer.

I'm on the fence really with that.. If standard like for like replacement is cheaper I'd probably do that.

Soldato
Although how much is a new deore 10 speed mech? If yours is warn the springs might be a bit tired too, might be cheaper /less hassle to just buy a new mech depending how tired yours is..

Associate
OP
Everything is good apart from one jockey wheel , so will try new jockey wheels, changing and gear selection were great before, but had few issues and found the jockey wheel which are bearings had failed

Caporegime
Everything is good apart from one jockey wheel , so will try new jockey wheels, changing and gear selection were great before, but had few issues and found the jockey wheel which are bearings had failed

The metal ones make an annoying noise and the plastic ones are proper cheap.

Back
Top Bottom