Shin pain after running and need new shoes

Soldato
OP
dmpoole said:
Can you imagine that service in JJB?
You'd need your best trackie on with a fag in one hand and a bag of chips in the other while you walk up and down the aisle while the 16 year old salesgirl tells you they look cool.

Not at all mate. Exactly what I was thinking. I got one on one help from someone who obviously knew what they were talking about (and are sponsored by Mizuno) and got to try them on a treadmill and get my stride analysed. Not only that, but every pair of shoes I tried on were already laced up and ready to put on, unlike every pair I've ever tried on anywhere else. They also had half sizes which was a revelation for me :)

Honestly, if you're thinking of buying running shoes, do it! I can highly recommend Up And Running as well www.upandrunning.co.uk

I've only had a bit of a run on their treadmill and done some skipping tonight but they're absolutely great - amazing heel cushioning.

kdd

kdd

Soldato
Buy asics running shoes, i've been a runner for 14 years and wouldn't wear any other trainer tbh. Buy a decent pair about 50-60 quids worth, they'll be better for your feet and legs and more comfortable to run in than any nike air etc. Btw lower leg pain is common on returning to running, just stretch properly before and after and it should ease up after a short while, if not see your doctor.

Man of Honour
My dislike of JJB began about 7 years ago when I was going to do my first marathon. I went in with my two daughters who wanted some fashion trainers and there were two middle aged women in there shopping for running shoes. One of them picked out something slightly better than flip flops and asked if they would do for the Potteries Marathon that was coming up soon. The assistant confirmed they would be suitable and the women thought they had a bargain at £10. About 2 minutes later I had to open my gob but I don't know if they took my advice.

Associate
IceBus said:
My shins were absolutely killing me when I got back, but I don't think it's shin splints as the pain is on the outside of my shins in the muscles that run up on the outside of my shinbone not the inside.
The muscles are the peronei (pear-row-knee-eye) which are peroneus longus brevis and tertius.
Their function is to stabilise the ankle in side - side direction but also can lift the foot up and down (dorsiflexion and plantarflexion).
If you are getting pain in this area it could well be because of overuse of this muscle group. This could be due to weak Calf muscles, weak muscles on the front of your calf, excessive rolling out of the foot on impact (ie running), footware, running on uneven ground or less likely over activity of some of the hip muscles (specifically the lateral rotators).

Sometimes simple changes can help such as using the top lace hole when lacing up your running shoes (which affords the ankle more side - side support), adding eccentric calf strengthening exercises to your training (raising on tiptoes and SLOWLY lowering ~ 5 secs) med-high reps or changing footware or your running route.

The problem sounds biomechanical in origin so your best bet if it persists is to see a podiatrist for a full biomechanical assessment.

Soldato
OP
Just another quick update.

I ran for my first time in my Mizuno's yesterday and I have to say I can now understand why people derrive enjoyment from running :D

I had no pain in my shins at all yesterday or today, my calves are just a little tight in a 'you've completed a good workout' way. It was absolutely great to be running yesterday and only have to stop when I felt puffed out as opposed to because my legs were hurting. Hopefully I can get my time up to a more respectable 30 minutes now. I'm going to try and get it up by 2 mins a week if I can.

Back
Top Bottom