shooting

Soldato
I used to in my ye olde army cadet days.

I was on the Target Rifle team for about a year, which was 7.62 rifle target shooting at 500m, I considered myself a farely good shot, or did, I'm kind of out of practice having not fired a weapon in 4 years. Also obviousely 5.56 Cadet GP ,
an SA80 with gas parts removed so it only fires a single shot and iron sites, fairely decent to shoot but slightly annoying as it's practicaly impossible to keep in the same position having to **** it after every shot, this isn't helped by the cocking handle being changed so its done with the right hand like your starting a bloody lawnmower.

Really was great fun though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I used to in my ye olde army cadet days.

I was on the Target Rifle team for about a year, which was 7.62 rifle target shooting at 500m, I considered myself a farely good shot, or did, I'm kind of out of practice having not fired a weapon in 4 years. Also obviousely 5.56 Cadet GP ,
an SA80 with gas parts removed so it only fires a single shot and iron sites, fairely decent to shoot but slightly annoying as it's practicaly impossible to keep in the same position having to **** it after every shot, this isn't helped by the cocking handle being changed so its done with the right hand like your starting a bloody lawnmower.

Really was great fun though.

I remember the old L98A1 which was fun and i agree about the cocking!-much preferred the SLR when i was a cadet and i even remember a female corporal bursting in to tears when the recoil nearly took her shoulder off:D, oh how she made my life rubbish after that for laughing during the range visit (at least until i got her drunk at a cadet xmas party and things went a little too far-but that is another story! :D:D:D)

Soldato
I just sold my CZ Varmint .17 HMR due to lack of use!, every time i reached in to my cabinet a .22 LR would emerge although it was a great bit of kit for 100 yard plus although a tad loud even when moderated. Go for it mate and enjoy!:D

I've fired the .22lr as my dad has one, I want the HMR for the crazy 100+yard range with minimal bullet drop :D

I've also just realised that the Hawke website I linked you to, are the people who made the Chairgun software :o

Soldato
Air rifle for rabbits and shotguns for geese :)

Air rifle is my old HW77 that i got back in mid 80s....still shoots as good as ever esp after a vmach tuning kit :)

In process of getting shoty ticket so looking forward to getting my own gun instead of borrowing and being under supervision all the time.

Makes a nice change from computers:)

Caporegime
Id like to get back into rough shooting again, i used to go out every saturday of the season for about 4 years, after my german pointer dogs passed on i sort of gave it up, started getting into clays on a regular basis, mainly dtl trap shooting. Thinking of geting another german pointer to train.

Associate
Never thought about going out shooting real ones and suchlike? Much more fun, plus you get to take home some free food for your ferrets and/or dogs.

I have a couple of friends who do it, and went with them once a year ago, but never thought of taking it up myself. I shoot clays with my dad, and I don't think he'd fancy shooting real ones regularly/at all. We also don't have any dogs or ferrets. :p

I don't doubt it's probably more fun, so I might take it up one day. :)

Associate
I just shoot air rifles these days - nothing serious though - mostly use .177, though I have a .22 as well. I've shot .22 rimfires and 5.56 in the past, but not for a few years.

Never tried clay shooting... I guess I should give it a go sometime.

Soldato
I go pistol shooting with friends now and again, I've actually got pretty good and can shoot 10 rounds in a group about the size of a saucer or side plate at 20m.

We almost always just shoot 9mm stuff like the various flavours of Glocks, K100 Grand Power, CZ 75 but occasionally we get an AR-15 chambered for 9mm. I've fancied trying something that fires .45 ACP but the ammo is almost twice the price so haven't bothered.

Associate
I Do

Vermin and pest control for the local farms.
As well as a few shotguns and rilfes, my fav has to be my FAC air arms sl410 air rifle.
36 ftlb power 40 shots and very accurate out to 60 yards+ with bisley mag pellets.
The crows hate it.;)

Associate
OP
I go pistol shooting with friends now and again, I've actually got pretty good and can shoot 10 rounds in a group about the size of a saucer or side plate at 20m.

We almost always just shoot 9mm stuff like the various flavours of Glocks, K100 Grand Power, CZ 75 but occasionally we get an AR-15 chambered for 9mm. I've fancied trying something that fires .45 ACP but the ammo is almost twice the price so haven't bothered.

I read somewhere that there is a world shortage of .45 ammo?????, might explain the cost (not that we can shoot pistols here in the uk anyway!)

Back
Top Bottom