Short holiday break ideas for wifes 30th birthday

Associate
Hey everyone,

I'm just after some help getting ideas for locations to treat the missus for her 30th birthday coming up at the end of April.

I am really bad at planning this kind of thing, it's usually the other half sorting this sort of thing out but she has suggested that she would like to get away from the kids for a couple days/weekend but I have no real idea as I haven't really travelled that much.

Obviously, it's not worth going too far away as can only get 2/3 days away max due to child care so I've been looking at city breaks in Europe or anywhere that's only around a 2/3 hour flight tops.

Some places that I've looked a little into are Oslo, Geneva and the obvious places in England also not sure if Italy is a bit too far, potentially Rome or Lake Como/Garda.

So I was just wondering if anyone has recommendations for hotels and locations?

The budget? Ideally would be nice to keep it under £600/700

Thanks

Soldato
did Rome a couple of years ago for the wifes birthday on a 5 day break, flight is only 2 1/2 hours.
flights & a hotel in the financial district came to £600
Had a great time & would recommend it.

Staying in the UK, Bath is nice, Lincoln is also good but it really depends on what you are looking for while away?

Man of Honour
did Rome a couple of years ago for the wifes birthday on a 5 day break, flight is only 2 1/2 hours.
Had a great time & would recommend it
Surely top that up by at least £250 each on tours / food.

Associate
OP
Barcelona, Prague or dubrovnik (Croatia). All very doable on those budgets. (varying mileage)

Thanks, was thinking about Dubrovnik but it seems to me it's a place that deserves a bit more time and money spent if possible

Yeah - forget Rome for that price :p

Fair enough :)

Had a great time & would recommend it.

Staying in the UK, Bath is nice, Lincoln is also good but it really depends on what you are looking for while away?

Thanks for your comment.

I guess it would be somewhere that's quite relaxing, decent shopping, plenty of restaurant options etc somewhere to just chill really :)

I have looked at Lucknam Park (went with work on an away day) in Bath but pushing £1k for 2 nights seems a bit crazy to me lol

Soldato
Thanks for your comment.

I guess it would be somewhere that's quite relaxing, decent shopping, plenty of restaurant options etc somewhere to just chill really :)

I have looked at Lucknam Park (went with work on an away day) in Bath but pushing £1k for 2 nights seems a bit crazy to me lol

try Aspley House Hotel in Bath, we stayed 2 nights there in the Wellington room for £390 including a fabulous breakfast.
Easy walking distance to the town centre via the park & crescent. Some very nice restaurants of an evening plus cafes during the day.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
try Aspley House Hotel in Bath, we stayed 2 nights there in the Wellington room for £390 including a fabulous breakfast.
Easy walking distance to the town centre via the park & crescent. Some very nice restaurants of an evening plus cafes during the day.

Thanks for the suggestion, will check it out.

Caporegime
Berlin?

Loads to do, more than enough to fill 3 days. Should be cheap for flights too. Have a look at Airbnb if your trying to save a few bob too.

Though I'm off to Prague soon, been before but only for 2 very short days. I feel like I can justify going back. Very pretty city.

Soldato
Paris? Flights can be had for about £50, Eurostar sub £100. Your only issue is hotels but I'm sure you could get two nights in a decent one within your budget. If you want to keep food costs down my partner and I used to visit the local bakery etc and then picnic by the Eifel Tower to save on food costs. You can also buy a travel card and attraction card I think if you're planning on visiting museums etc, can't comment further as I've never used it myself.

Soldato
We did lake Garda last year for 5 nights, it's only just over a 2 hour flight from Manchester. We hired a fiat 500 too which was great. Look on teletext holidays, we paid just short of £500 for both of us in a nice hotel (Grand liberty Riva Del Garda). Stunning scenery, lots of good food and shops.

Associate
doing the same for the mrs, in may as it's her 30th. however we're going even cheaper as we still have to pay for the honeymoon this year (october).
we're heading to stockholm for the weekend. neither of us have been and we have seen most other cities we'd like to see already in europe.

geneva is fine, however it's expensive as is most of switzerland :p

Caporegime
geneva is fine, however it's expensive as is most of switzerland :p
only thing cheap in switzerland in cigarettes.

anyone going there should take loads of ibuprofen and antiseptic throat lozenges with them in case they need any.

you don't want to see the crazy prices for them at swiss pharmacies compared to UK supermarket branded ones

Soldato
I was just in Dubrovnik for two nights. Plenty of time to see everything, it's really small.
However I was also in Budapest for a bit before Dubrovnik and Budapest is the answer. It's cheap, lots to do but it's compact. She'll love the thermal baths, great architecture, beer is cheap, hotels are very cheap (you can get a room in the Ritz Carlton for £150 - i stayed in a £8 hostel...) and great food. Plus flights are cheap and plentiful.
If you want to push the boat out, Copenhagen is amazing. But so expensive.
I'm in the airport in Rome right now, you need to visit it but Budapest is a much better shout.

Back
Top Bottom