Should have a good day tomorrow...

Soldato
That zorst should change the whole look of the car, and should sound nice as well.

Aye, I'm going to do my front discs and pads soon (well a mate is helping me).

The most I've done is installing ICE and fixing a leaky hose from my screen wash reservoir which involved jacking up the car, taking the wheel off, arch liner out and having a fiddle.

Soldato
I admire your attitude, I'd be similar, but mines got FSSH so its going to Prosport for its oil change.

Think I'll do anything non-service though, if I can build the confidence :)

Big problem is, no haynes for mine.

Zip

Zip

Soldato
andi said:
I admire your attitude, I'd be similar, but mines got FSSH so its going to Prosport for its oil change.

Whats FSSH
I think ive seen guides for it selling on Ebay :)
Have a look around there and you might find one :)

Soldato
Dunno if i can make it down tomorrow, depends what time ive got this shed to take care of at... and i cant use the "my cars being fixed" excuse with work again!

Let me know how long your sump gasket change takes and how much mess it takes before i weigh up trying it on the new drive....

Soldato
Full Subaru Service History.

Got all the Workshop Manuals, but they're designed for someone with a bit more of a clue than me, so it tells you what to do, rather than how.

Soldato
agw_01 said:
I find the Haynes a real help. I don't take it word for word (as there are shortcuts you can normally use) but it's pretty helpful to get a rough idea of the tasks involved.

When I lived at my Dads', I had to do any work on a fairly busy road with cars parked either side. This made it very annoying to replace brake pads for example. Having to stop every 5 minutes to let a car past.

Where I live now, it's a nice quiet estate, with a car every 10 minutes... if that. The house has a driveway, but my mum won't let me work on the car on it... not even to do something as simple as a brake pad change!

I feel quite smug in seeing the brand new driveway covered in oil spots from my leaky sump gasket :D Ah well, just one of the quirks of owning a Rover I guess!

I will be round your way tomorrow perhaps, could pop over and see how it's going :)

Tom.

Soldato
andi said:

It is SUCH an easy car to work on Andi..

So far i've done (bare in mind i was 17 when i did all this, first car, no idea !)

oil
fuel filter
air filter
spark plugs
cambelt and tensioners
brake fluids
changed to 2pot turbo brakes, so disks, pads, calipers, bled the brakes
backbox
manifold

give it a shot, it's simple ;) but dont blame me if you kill it :p hehe

Kosta

Soldato
I just wish Nissan had made the oil filters on Primera GT's accessable to anyone with hands bigger than a 5 year olds. :p

Soldato
OP
Lashout_UK said:
Looks like you got a busy day mind, hope it goes well

Cheers Lewis. My only worry is getting the backbox off. I'll either have to struggle with the backbox to centre pipe or the lower arm bolts. If I can get them undone, I can apparently swing the lower arm out of the way to drop the 'zorst.

I hope my exhaust spits flames out :D Especially with the de-cat.

thedazman67 said:
Looks like somebody will be having fun tommorow :D , as will i time for me to venture in to my rear crankseal replacement

Good luck with that Daz. You getting a few mates to help you I take it? Let me know how you get on :)

Andy (thebrasso), thanks mate. I can't wait to see the car with it fitted. I'm hoping it'll refresh the look of the rear end. The 3.5" tip should fill the gap perfectly, and yep, I'm hoping it'll sound nice too.

I used to love loud exhausts (my dads' for example), but having to put up with mine for the last month, I just want something that's quiet and yet free flowing... hmmm, is there such a thing. Good luck with the brakes btw.

andi, if you want a hand or anything checking out (or even a quick check under the car/engine) give me a shout. I'm only 10 minutes away from you.

Tom, that's not a problem mate. Although, if I'm already under the car when you arrive, don't expect me to be a master of conversation ;) If I look busy, I'm not being rude :)

Berger, shame you might not be able to make it. But yeah, I'll let you know about the sump gasket. I reckon you'll have to drop the downpipe though... otherwise it'll be a pain in the bum to get the sump off. I'm sure I'll be able to find out for myself though tomorrow.

Soldato
hehe andy. My busy day that was meant to be tomorrow has been postponed to tuesday, when we can get the spring compressors to do it :)

springstyreswheels.jpg

springs.jpg

Depressing having the parts, but not on the car :(

Tom.

Soldato
Spent all day cursing the shed, was heavier than thought, and a pain to move.. :(

How did you get on then, any problems? All the nuts on mine are rather tight, DRZ and ripz can vouch for that.

Soldato
OP
Was just going to update this thread actually...

There's still a large pile of parts in my room :(

I think the problem was only having an 8" bar to try and remove bolts. The downpipe to manifold, or subframe to suspension bolts weren't going anywhere!

I couldn't even undo the downpipe to cat, or cat to centre pipe bolts!!

And because I couldn't get the downpipe off, I couldn't do the sump gasket. There's no room for movement without the downpipe off.

The only jobs I did get done were to fit the new exhaust manifold gasket, my NGK Iridum plugs and Magnecor leads. I also got my new volt gauge (Autometer Smoked range) so fitted that as well.

The new leads and plugs also seem to have cured the misfire from cold, so not a completely wasted day. Hope to try again when I get a big breaker bar.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Send one over ;)

/Looks up into sky waiting for big piece of metal piping to fall

Turns out I might not be coming down for the RR so can't collect then (plus, I'll probably have one by then) but don't want to say until I'm 100% sure.

Soldato
agw_01 said:
Send one over ;)

/Looks up into sky waiting for big piece of metal piping to fall

Turns out I might not be coming down for the RR so can't collect then (plus, I'll probably have one by then) but don't want to say until I'm 100% sure.

MSN?

Soldato
OP
True :(

Bet it was comical for the neighbours to watch. Try one thing, end up red faced, move to another part of the car, try another thing, end up red faced, get under the car, bang a few things with a hammer...

:p

Back
Top Bottom