1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy a Pioneer DVR-110 ?

Discussion in 'Optical Storage & Writing' started by Yebraw, 9 Jan 2006.

1. Yebraw

Gangster

I may order it from that famous auction site....

I've been googling and read very mixed reviews on performance and reliability. :eek:

Anyone got one ? any pros/cons I should know about ?

Cheers

2. dannyjo22

Caporegime

Love mine, had to return a new nec burner because it was rubbish, wouldnt read old sics I had burnt and wouldn't run at the required quoted speeds. Never fails with the pioneer. Ive always brought Pioneers, thought i'd change and it bit me.

3. pegasus1

Soldato

Thinking the same, ive got a pioneer 107 and its outlasted two sony's that have given up on me. Decent price as well.

4. Fred_Or_Dead

PermaBanned

Nope! Pioneer lost the plot after the 108, the 109 and 110 are far from the best now.

Get either:

Benq 1640 (Or clone)
    LG GSA-4167

Personally I would get the BenQ, top drive and the fact Plextor and many other manufactures are re-badging them speaks volumes ie admitted defeat :p

5. smids

Soldato

Hmm I disagree. I've had NEC's and an LG and this 110D is by far and away the best burner I've had. Yeah, the BenQ is good - everyone knows that - but this Pioneer really does produce some quality writes, is VERY quiet and does everything I ask of it well - including now DVD-RAM (since I flash unlocked it).

6. Fred_Or_Dead

PermaBanned

Got some PI/PIF scans to back that up then ????

7. toy_soldier

PermaBanned

jesus thats going a bit far isnt it!

To dannyjo22, which NEC drive did you have?

8. smids

Soldato

I'm too lazy for that - but if you head over the CDfreaks, I'm sure you'll find some lying about.

9. mattfigaro

Associate

Talking out of your hat mate
    Yes the Benq 1640 is a good drive, dont know about the lg, but if the reviews are anything to go by they cant beat the Pio 110 for burn quality.
    They may equal it in some cases but they do not beat it

My drives
    Philips 1640 @Benq1620
    Nec 3520
    Pio A09xl
    2 x Pio 110d @xl
    Liteon [email protected]@1653

detailed review on the 110 at speedlabs.org

Last edited: 10 Jan 2006
  10. micnic

Gangster

Sorry peoples, must agree with Fred or dead, pioneer drives (in my opinion) are really awfull now, I used to swear by their drives but the 110D I have now must be the worst drive I've ever used, I was talking today to a well respected computer buff, he reckons any samsung 16 speed writer is the one to go for at the moment, I'm going to chuck out the pioneer and search for a better drive right now. :eek:

11. smids

Soldato

Well having come from a NEC and LG, the Pioneer 110D @ XL I have now is far superior to the other drives I have owned. I suppose it comes down to 1 minute difference in burning time but GREATLY improved writing quality. Quite frankly, I don't mind waiting an extra 30s on a CD or 1 minute on a DVD for the writing quality.

12. micnic

Gangster

Have the NEC drives cured the poor reading problem they used to have, this is part of the reason I don't like the pioneer 110D.

13. smids

Soldato

Not on my 3550 - which incidentally also broke/died taking my Windows XP Home CD with it. Drive started clicking, 3 seconds later -BOOM.

14. micnic

Gangster

I saw that once, bloke I sold a writer to bought it back saying the drive was faulty, took it out his machine and gave it a shake, amazing how many pieces an exploding dvd disk can produce, he later admitted he had a lot of trouble getting the dvd out of the case it came in, only takes one little crack in it at the centre. :)

15. smids

Soldato

Wasn't the disk in my case, used once Windows XP CD. The drive began to make the noise. It was preceded by the disk failing to be read in that drive. I was having problems installing windows (going for a RAID at the time, couldn't figure out how to get it going) so I put it in my DVD-ROM drive. Read fine, but couldn't get it going. Went into my working sata windows to burn a hdu diag cd so I did that (again using my DVD-ROM as it is faster at reading CD's). So I just left the windows CD in the RW - after diag finished, booted from the RW. Read errors occured, causing Setup to restart, comp rebooted and I booted again from the RW. It wouldn't spin up properly and then spun up only to slow down again immediately. I thought stuff this, when it reaches the main screen I'm quitting setup - never made it to setup. 3 seconds later BOOM.

16. Grouchomarx

Gangster

Alternatively, you could order one from a very famous Jersey based company known more for selling DVDs and CDs for just £29.99 inclusive of p&p ;)

17. Sumanji

Sgarrista

Erk...

One of my NEC 3500's is temporarily living in my HTPC while I wait for my Pioneer 110D to arrive. Had a lot of trouble installing Win MCE, disk looked perfect no scratches or anything, but I kept getting BSOD's at in the initial phase where it detects your drives+partitions. The drive would make a repetitive clicking (a bit like an FDD when it's trying to read a bad disk), and then after a while it would give up and either freeze or produce a BSOD! Could the drive be on it's way out?! May be a coincidence but I flashed to a Liggy's custom firmware (to make the drive quieter while playing DVD's) a few days before this started happening...

Also what do you guys mean by 110D @ XL? I can't find the 110XL model on the Pioneer website... can only see R100, 610, 110D and 509 (which is best out of this lot?). What's the best firmware to use at the moment? I'd like it to be RPC-1 and as quiet as possible since it's for my HTPC.

Cheers,

Suman

18. [Death]

Wise Guy

Pioneer 110d Black here, works flawlessly, not had 1 bad burn yet, hightly recomended!

19. smids

Soldato

It could be the drive on it's way out - mine was a NEC when it did the above :rolleyes: -with regards to [email protected] - I crossflashed my 110D to a Pioneer A10XLA (i.e. a better Pioneer DVR-110 - note, not the 'D' version). So now it has unlocked DVD-RAM features on the drive and added support for the Quiet-Drive technology - all in 4 minutes :D.

20. james.miller

Capodecina

i've got a 4550. no read problems, not a coaster made so far (burnt about 50dvd's i suppose). Not a single problems with it, unlike my mate and his 110D:).

the burn quality is spot on with this drive