1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I buy an MP3 player for my Backpacking trip?

Discussion in 'Sound City' started by hp01jpc, 3 Feb 2006.

1. hp01jpc

Wise Guy

Really in two minds about this. OCUk have the Zen Micro on special this week, for £150 which is reasonable. I wouldn't really want to spend any more than that.

I'm just thinking of those 13 hour flights with nothing to do, the long train journeys and such. A few thousand tunes and some podcasts could really be handy in those situations.

BUT... is it just something else that might get nicked, broken, stolen, lost? It also means having to carry around the charging gear, and I'm kinda lumped with the music I put on it before I leave. Could always get a bigger capacity one, but that's more money I guess.

What say yous? Should I avoid the Zen Micro or is it good for the money?

Cheers

Oh... I leave on Wednesday, so if I make my mind up this evening, and order it for next day delivery, it should be processed on Monday and arrive Tuesday right? Just want to be sure as I need to leave the house at 5am on Wednesday :eek:

2. SexyBetty

Mobster

Id say not, how will you charge it?

3. Rotty

Don

after serious consideration I have decided that the answer is "it's entirely up to you"

4. Mr_L

Mobster

Could always get a wind up/solar powered radio, they're quite snazzy.

5. hp01jpc

Wise Guy

Indeed... I would have to get a travel adaptor and plug it in at hostels and stuff like that. Too much hassle? Part of me thinks so, the other part thinks how great it will be when I've bugger all to do. I could just read lots, but music... well... it's just good.

6. DiG

Wise Guy

I don't leave the house without my MP3 player very often, but it depends on how much you like your music From what I've seen though, Zens are good players

7. hp01jpc

Wise Guy

Heh, I was hoping someone who had been backpacking could jump on here and say:

"You lunatic, how can you comprehend going away without taking a music device of somekind"

or

"I took one with me and it was a pain in the ass, what with the infrequent charging and the scratches I got on it etc etc."

Sorry... I'm so indecisive (although I will probably invest in a suit from that tailors you told me about Rotty) ;)

8. fatiain

Sgarrista

Ipods > *.*

(Not being an Apple fanboy, just because mine was free)

9. Wryel

Wise Guy

You could get a cheapo one and bring a couple of DVDs with you, change tunes at every town - most will have an internet cafe.

10. vaultingSlinky

Mobster

Personally, if i was going backpacking, i would not leave until i was sure i had my mp3 player with all my music on was with me. Ive spent a lot of time on trains etc, and it definately helps with those long journeys and i never get bored of my music (ive got a relatively small amount compared to others at 1100ish songs/something like 65hrs worth)
    But thats just me, plus ive not had to take it backpacking so im not sure if it could present a hassle, personally i would get one, and find out if it causes me hassle...get one big enough for all your music though for fear of getting bored of the same tunes.

11. Carzy

Sgarrista

Get the Zen Touch, it's fine in terms of size, and just get the 20 gig version, for about £170. It's a lovely piece of kit, and you won't need more than 20 gig really (I can't fit all my music on by a long shot, but it doesn't matter, because I can always take stuff off, put new stuff on etc).

12. vaultingSlinky

Mobster

Lol how much music do you have carzy :s...I can recommend the zen touch...24 hr battery life is 'lush' only thing about it is the charger, and the player itself is a little chunky compared to competing players.

13. hp01jpc

Wise Guy

Ok well I'm going to take the plunge and get the Zen Micro 20Gb version. I'm also going to get some Creative EP-630 earphones to go with it, as a mate of mine has them and they're brill.

Thanks all for your input on this... I just hope they arrive before I leave!

14. fatiain

Sgarrista

Where you going? Pics, postcards and duty free when you get back please!

15. Naffa

Capodecina

nothing like good friends ;)

16. Carzy

Sgarrista

Oooh, didn't realise they did 20Gig Micros now, yea, that looks good.

A lot :p

17. lloydt

Associate

I wouldn't go anywhere without my ipod mini. But saying that, the battery life is shocking so I'd look at a mp3 player that uses AA batteries.

18. hp01jpc

Wise Guy

Backpacking mate, South East Asia, Aus, NZ, Fiji, States. 7 months. Don't know about duty free, but I can try and smuggle a Thai Bride past Immigration control if that's your thing ;)

One which takes AA batteries would be fantastic as my digital camera takes AA rechargeables, but I don't think you can get ones with big capacities that also run on AA batteries?

19. Carzy

Sgarrista

Well the Zen Touch I have lasts for ages, I recharge it once every 4/5 days, and that's with me using it every time I go out, and when I go to sleep.

20. hp01jpc

Wise Guy

Darn it, maybe I should have got one of them. Have to say I liked the aesthetics of the Micro better, but ho hum...

It says 11 hours battery life on the Creative website, that should keep me going as long as I can find places to charge it back up.