Should I have put SP95 E10 into my golf ?

Associate
Road tripping at the moment through france and the petrol station didn't have any 98 , put by accident 95 e10 ( will be rotating between 98 and 95 fill ups) in my 08 golf gti , is this likely to cause any issue with this ethanol added fuel ?

Any help welcomed , thanks ! ( seems to be running ok at the moment !)

Soldato
Apparently all cars made after 2011 are specced for it. But it can be risky in older ones and you should never use it in really old ones (pre mid 2000s) as it can eat the fuel systems and seals. Though it's almost universally regarded as crap fuel and should be avoided.

The EU are pushing it hard and we will lend up with it soon, but in the US it's already fading away because not enough people are buying it (also you can't store it for as long).

Last edited:
Soldato
The EU are pushing it hard and we will lend up with it soon, but in the US it's already fading away because not enough people are buying it (also you can't store it for as long).

Not true - the EIA says that over 95% of gasoline sold in the US is now E10. I don't think I've seen a gas pump without a 'Contains up to 10% Ethanol' sticker on it recently.

Perhaps you're thinking of E85 which doesn't make much sense to use right now because of low gas prices?

Soldato
Not true - the EIA says that over 95% of gasoline sold in the US is now E10. I don't think I've seen a gas pump without a 'Contains up to 10% Ethanol' sticker on it recently.

Perhaps you're thinking of E85 which doesn't make much sense to use right now because of low gas prices?

From what I've been reading it's vanishing in states that don't require stations to stock it. But in a lot places it's all you can buy, which is why sales look inflated.

Soldato
Apparently all cars made after 2011 are specced for it. But it can be risky in older ones and you should never use it in really old ones (pre mid 2000s) as it can eat the fuel systems and seals. Though it's almost universally regarded as crap fuel and should be avoided.

That sounds like scaremongering to me. Literally everybody I know with a petrol car uses it and have done since it was released. None of them have had any issues with fuel systems or injectors, nor have I with the many cars I've used it with. It's still vastly better than the fuel found in many parts of the world where people happily run modern, relatively high performance cars with no problems.

Caporegime

Yeah, presumably he's confusing ethanol fuel that is rare as hens teeth in many places anyway and needs specific engines to allow its use with normal fuel blended with a small amount of ethanol (typically E10/15)?

That sounds like scaremongering to me. Literally everybody I know with a petrol car uses it and have done since it was released. None of them have had any issues with fuel systems or injectors, nor have I with the many cars I've used it with. It's still vastly better than the fuel found in many parts of the world where people happily run modern, relatively high performance cars with no problems.

It is a bit of a corrosive and it's recommended against for lawnmower engines (for example), although stabilizes help. For car engine afaik it's pretty much irrelevant, at least on cars younger than 2001.

https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_blends.html

Man of Honour

I'd agree. I've used M20 (20% Methanol) in a late 90s fuel system for just over 12 months and have absolutely no issues with fuel system leaks or corrosion (Methanol is more corrosive than Ethanol)

Edit: Only part of the fuel system that has been modernized is the injectors

Back
Top Bottom