Should I sell my 40D to pick up a 5D?

olv

olv

Soldato
And getting better shots at a wedding that you could add to your portfolio to show off your work and potentially get you more work in the future, if you are indeed serious about making money from this, wouldn't be a good thing?

Caporegime
OP
And getting better shots at a wedding that you could add to your portfolio to show off your work and potentially get you more work in the future, if you are indeed serious about making money from this, wouldn't be a good thing?

After speaking to my cousin, no.

I've been told it's not your 'typical' wedding - Only having a very select few at the wedding and then the after party is just the after party. And I'd rather have the equipment already if I was going to start doing weddings, rather than hiring it everytime.

Man of Honour
I've not read the whole thread, only skimmed but....

It sounds like you don't need the 5D mkII due to not knowing what it fully offers and not being 100% sure on your shooting style.

I certainly would not swap my 40D for a 5D mkX, heck the 1Ds I used the past week would not even sway me away from my 40D, with 7.8FPS it's too valuable an action shooter and fast at everything it does.

I'd have to keep the 40D and buy another body for FF/Movies etc.

A 5D won't help your photography, it will make you feel better for a short while but it won't get you better pictures.

I suggest practising your photography until you're fully confident in your own style and requirements :)

Caporegime
OP

I know what your saying don't get me wrong the 40D is an amazing camera, but there is SUCH a pull to go full frame and I definately will. Just figuring out either now or later :p

The way things seem to be heading I can see myself heading down the portrait road, I thoroughly enjoy it, I'm confident with people and want to improve on it.

I wouldn't get rid of the 40D mate. Mastering exposure/lighting will make a 300D deck your 40D for photographs in ideal hands.
The 5D would produce better skin tones but within your style I wouldn't say this is a massive issue.
The technicals of both cameras would sway more towards your 40D. You'll loose the fun of live view and the handiness of onboard flash.
The Frames Per Second of the 40D are gonna come in super handy when you do your wedding in the fall. You'll wanna be firing off a couple of shots as quick as possible to bypass those eyes that are gonna be closed in a few of your pictures (being your first wedding it may happen more than you'll think)
Glass always outweighs a body. You'll be making 2mp over your 40D whereas the clarity of an image/better quality will come from the performance of the optical lens.

5D mark II for its sheer excellence, Yes
5D you simply wont see the difference.

You're the photographer regardless of what kit you have. 40D, 17 - 40L, 24 - 70 2.8 L. 50, F1.4

Hello weddings and portraits. Invest in the 24 - 70. Look at upgrading your 50mm one day or even the 85 1.8 (might be too much tele zoom on a 1.6x though so stay with the 50)

You can kiss your 55 - 200 off on a FF camera. It wont even be a joke.

Hope this helps

Soldato
I suppsoe you dont do photography as a full time job and more of a hobbyist like all of us.

I looked into this idea and if you got the cash (without selling anything) then go for it.
But if you tight with money at the moment and your making yourself sell body + lens and looking for other income then you really can't afford it.

Its like buying a high maintenance car on finance :(

Like most of us are saying - save money till you feel you really need it and buy it without struggling.

Soldato
Being a 5d owner myself I say yes, the 5d is a great camera and I'm sure you would be very happy with it, the IQ still amazes me

Back
Top Bottom