Should I stay or should I go?

Associate
Well, not me, but a mate.

His system specs are something like p4 3.2 (socket 478), 2gb ram, 9600xt which is dying rapidly, MSI 875p mobo (AGP). He can't decide whether to upgrade the lot now or just get a tide-me-over graphics card (9800/850) and wait a few months. He's leaning towards upgrading I think, I would possibly lean towards the tide-me-over option. What say you? Ppl on here seem to pretty much in the know in terms of new stuff coming out and what it'll do for prices in a couple of months ... is it worth a full system upgrade now? Problem with just a gcard replacement is that its a lot of money for a card that ain't gonna be worth squat in a short while due to agp being phased out. Risk with a full upgrade is that it could well be gotten for a lot less in a few months time - I know this is always the case but will the release of the x1900 and the new athlon processor (the M2 is it?) seriously bring down the prices of 2nd gen stuff like 7800 series cards, and dual core processors?

Or do I really not know what I am talkin about?! :p

Last edited:
Permabanned
Bellboy said:
p4 3.2 (socket 478), 2gb ram, 9600xt

I'd just update the graphics card for now and wait for the bugs of AM2 to be smoothed out in 6-8 months time and obviously then update the whole rig. I'd get the 7800gs or 6800gs, those specs should last you a few years.

Last edited:
Associate
its a decent spec system
as long as it had a decent MB and ram
then id just get a new gfx card

depends what he uses it for as to which card he should get
although if hes currently only using a 9600 im guessing hes not much of a hardcore gamer

non gaming early geforce cards are fine
if you dont game i cant really see the point in spending over £20 on a gfx card

Associate
OP
I believe he is a gamer to a degree, dunno if he plays the latest ones though. I've suggested a 2nd hand 9800 (or an x800 for the sort of price above is pretty good too), and upgrade in 6 months - seems like the best option then

Back
Top Bottom