1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I stay or should I go?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Bellboy, 17 Feb 2006.

  1. Bellboy


    Joined: 28 Jan 2005

    Posts: 347

    Well, not me, but a mate.

    His system specs are something like p4 3.2 (socket 478), 2gb ram, 9600xt which is dying rapidly, MSI 875p mobo (AGP). He can't decide whether to upgrade the lot now or just get a tide-me-over graphics card (9800/850) and wait a few months. He's leaning towards upgrading I think, I would possibly lean towards the tide-me-over option. What say you? Ppl on here seem to pretty much in the know in terms of new stuff coming out and what it'll do for prices in a couple of months ... is it worth a full system upgrade now? Problem with just a gcard replacement is that its a lot of money for a card that ain't gonna be worth squat in a short while due to agp being phased out. Risk with a full upgrade is that it could well be gotten for a lot less in a few months time - I know this is always the case but will the release of the x1900 and the new athlon processor (the M2 is it?) seriously bring down the prices of 2nd gen stuff like 7800 series cards, and dual core processors?

    Or do I really not know what I am talkin about?! :p
    Last edited: 17 Feb 2006
  2. Turbanation


    Joined: 18 Oct 2005

    Posts: 788

    Location: London, UK

    I'd just update the graphics card for now and wait for the bugs of AM2 to be smoothed out in 6-8 months time and obviously then update the whole rig. I'd get the 7800gs or 6800gs, those specs should last you a few years.
    Last edited: 17 Feb 2006
  3. hhhhbk

    Wise Guy

    Joined: 1 Apr 2004

    Posts: 1,125

    its a decent spec system
    as long as it had a decent MB and ram
    then id just get a new gfx card

    depends what he uses it for as to which card he should get
    although if hes currently only using a 9600 im guessing hes not much of a hardcore gamer

    non gaming early geforce cards are fine
    if you dont game i cant really see the point in spending over £20 on a gfx card
  4. Martynt74


    Joined: 20 Feb 2004

    Posts: 16,048

    Location: Higher Walton

    Well my x800pro sold on ebay for £87 the other night so if he gets something similar he should be happy with that for now
  5. Bellboy


    Joined: 28 Jan 2005

    Posts: 347

    I believe he is a gamer to a degree, dunno if he plays the latest ones though. I've suggested a 2nd hand 9800 (or an x800 for the sort of price above is pretty good too), and upgrade in 6 months - seems like the best option then