Should I switch to NTL...

Soldato
OP
But you have to be in a Telewest cabled area :rolleyes:;)

Does anyone know the NTL 4MB upload speeds then?!

[edit] Looking at the Telewest website it seems the upload on their 4MB and 10MB packages is 384k. I assume it's the same for NTL? I was expecting more tbh, but better than 256k I guess!

Cheers,

Suman

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Just a follow up post...

Made the jump to NTL last week. Bit of a fiddle setting up (had to phone the dreaded tech support department!), but it's up and running now and been blazingly fast!

Very happy customer :D (so far!)

Suman

Associate
Sumanji said:
But you have to be in a Telewest cabled area :rolleyes:;)

Does anyone know the NTL 4MB upload speeds then?!

[edit] Looking at the Telewest website it seems the upload on their 4MB and 10MB packages is 384k. I assume it's the same for NTL? I was expecting more tbh, but better than 256k I guess!

Cheers,

Suman

Taken direct from my modem config page

Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 4096000 bps
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 400000 bps

Soldato
Third Opinion said:
NTL Broadband is totally hopeless. It seems over subscribed at peak hours.

NTL must also have the worse customer service I have ever dealt with. My service was totally unreliable and unusable for six months before they fixed the problem.

ive never had a problem tbh....

edit - theyve changed it and not told me... was supposed to be 3gb limit for 2mb... looks like they dont do 2mb now... ony 1,4 and 10mb. im on one meg. :) phew... unlimited usage... :D

and both times ive had trouble ive gotten through to someone who was knowledgable enough to help within 5-10minutes.

Speed Test Results

Downstream 966.0 Kbps ( = 0.9 Mbps )
Upstream 94.5 Kbps ( = 0.1 Mbps )

Last edited:
Soldato
Is it only possible to get NTL broadband if you also sign uo to there phone line or TV service as a new customer?
In other word's has anyone signed up to the broadband service only? above 512k connection.

Soldato
tolien said:
Home2000's been perfectly reliable (and I don't see the issues being ironed out), it would mean either migrating (and Zen's on the whole decent) or being stuck with a 50GB cap, and I'm not desperate to change my 877 :p

But this is mostly off topic.

I thought the 877 supported ADSL, Max and ADSL2?? Thought it was only SDSL that you need to upgrade to the 878 for?

Soldato
Lonewolf said:
Is it only possible to get NTL broadband if you also sign uo to there phone line or TV service as a new customer?
In other word's has anyone signed up to the broadband service only? above 512k connection.

yes me, 4mb broadband, no phone, no tv

Soldato
Lonewolf said:

Yeah, they used to tie you into having at least the phone line, but now you can have BB on its own.

You will just get X amount of junk mail from them telling you to join up for their 3 services.

Back
Top Bottom