1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I upgrade and what should I upgrade? 2013 config..

Discussion in 'New to PC gaming & upgrade advice' started by nxnje, 13 Jan 2019.

1. nxnje

Associate

Hello everyone!
    I had much time to think these holidays and i decided to move towards an upgrade.
    My doubt is very big
    What should i upgrade?
    I usually play pubg, overwatch, rainbow six, battlefield (sometimes), fortnite (very few times).
    I even produce music with ableton live so audio editing is one of the things i need.

I actually have:
    I7-4770
    8gb ram ddr3
    Stock cooler and stock motherboard from Asus M51AC
    Gtx 1060 6gb

I see i can't get 144hz in many games while in pubg i always get fps drop and even in fortnite.
    I even get much fps drop in battlefield 1 and even more on bf5.
    I play in 1080p (overclocked my monitor to 75hz but i'm getting some flickering) and i plan to buy a new monitor (75hz/144hz)

What should i upgrade?
    Is the oldish here the CPU or the GPU that is making me a little bit less "competitive" in these games?
    My first thought was waiting for zen 2 and upgrade to a ryzen build but i'm really confused about what can i do actually.

I don't have much money but i'm collecting info in order to start thinking what do to and what to plan.

2. ilc72

Gangster

It really depends on your budget, the GPU you have should in theory be OK for 1080p gaming and the next meaningful upgrade would be either a Vega 56 or an RTX2060 so £350+. The Asus Strix Vega 64 is a great buy right now at £410.

The CPU side is more challenging as it’s a new CPU, motherboard, and RAM. So realistically you are talking £400+ for that as a minimum.

Zen 2 will be out some time June at Computex.

You could try improving your cooler and try overclocking your CPU?

3. nxnje

Associate

My i7-4770 is non k version so i can't overclock it and that's why i do not have an aftermarket cooler.
    I was in fact waiting for the ryzen 3 3600x but we got news we'll not see it until this summer.
    About the gpu, i always play competitive games so details are always all low, then i think now maybe i can stay with my 1060.
    My objective is to play competitive games at 144hz (overwatch, r6 siege, counter strike)

I really don't know if to wait ryzen 3 or just change the block now (cpu, ram, motherboard) with a 9600k + mobo + ram

4. ilc72

Gangster

To be honest you be mad to go with that, you’d be best off with a Ryzen 2600 or 2700 with a decent motherboard, as the 9700K has shown some worrying stuttering and at 1080p you are generally CPU bound.

With the Ryzen 2600 at £150 with an MSI B450I Gaming Pro Carbon AC is the best deal. It’s ITX but available, good quality VRM solution, and with decent RAM will be a good solution.

5. Rroff

Man of Honour

For a lot of games not sure the 2600 is going to be a huge upgrade from his 4770 albeit if it isn't overclocked might be a bit more in it.

6. orbitalwalsh

Capodecina

push 2700x or ryzen 3*** , even if not more cores your pushing for Speed and hopefully ram speed increase :)

i'd also just slam in RTX 2060 from tomorrow