Should I upgrade my pc?

Associate
i have had my pc for coming up to 3 years, the games run fine but when a lot of things happen i start to lag and go to 60-80 fps. I know i can upgrade my PC but i dont have a clue on how to do it and i dont want to risk the fact of breaking the whole lot.

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i5 6600K @ 3.50GHz
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel Unknown @ 1069MHz (15-15-15-36)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Z170-E (LGA1151)
Graphics
ZOWIE XL LCD (1920x1080@144Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 (ZOTAC International)
111GB Samsung SSD 850 EVO 120GB (SATA (SSD))
931GB Seagate ST1000DM003-1SB10C (SATA )
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSD0
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I want to get something better, but breaking my PC trying to upgrade it isn't my plan

Last edited:
Permabanned
I have a feeling his Memory is 2x that speed but whatever he read it with is reading the Actual Clock Speed not Double Date Rate Speed, because that would be DDR2 speeds.

Man of Honour
@lil harry btw

Hello and welcome,

Just a friendly heads up, we don't allow price checks outside of our Members Market (which you yet don't qualify for) but if you want to discuss potential upgrades etc then that's fine I'll leave the thread open as you've already received some helpful replies, but if you're asking for a price then I'll need to delete this thread?

Associate
As others have said - a new gfx card and some additional memory will go a long way to extending the life of that system.
That mobo supports up to 3466mhz ddr4 - as b00merang mentions the tool you're using to report memory is probably under reporting the actual rate)

You can also overclock the CPU quite a lot - quick Google and it looks like 4.4ghz should be quite achievable on air.

Associate
OP
What games are you playing?

The lag could be due to a bottleneck. Have you monitored cpu and gpu usage?

What res you playing at?

You could just upgrade the GPU, a 2060/2070s or 5700 would be a nice upgrade.
i play fortnite at a high level so in the later game it gets super laggy, i play on 1920x1080

Associate
OP
@lil harry btw

Hello and welcome,

Just a friendly heads up, we don't allow price checks outside of our Members Market (which you yet don't qualify for) but if you want to discuss potential upgrades etc then that's fine I'll leave the thread open as you've already received some helpful replies, but if you're asking for a price then I'll need to delete this thread?

sorry mate

Soldato
8GB of memory is too little in Wintoys10 era for heavy games, when memory is consumed by multiple GBs before you've even started the game.
Though prices were high (because of unpunished cartel of DRAM makers) it was bare minimum already when that CPU was new.

Again for new games 4 core/4 thread CPU won't become good no matter what.

Man of Honour
Since you have had the PC awhile, have you checked the temps and for dust inside the case? It could be throttling if the CPU fan is clogged up. You could also try tweaking the game settings, or even dropping the res, so that you can keep the FPS up.

Back
Top Bottom