Should I wait for Ryzen 3000 reviews or buy straight away?

Man of Honour
normally i'd say wait and see...but...
upgrading from a 975 to anything is a massive leap in performance, so it's a win-win situation for you.
if you preorder and don't open the chip/mobo until reviews are out, it's probably the best of both worlds i suspect...at least then you have 14 days to return

Soldato
if its pre-order. I'd order it ! can always cancel .

my reasoning , firstly stock levels... ryzen 3000 is expected to be huge and its a global release for ryzen , resellers will sell stock in July .
Like intel, demand will outstrip supply and then resellers like OCUK once they have gotten rid of their first batch of in-stock or first batch pre-order can increase pricing above recommended resell price. Distributors aren't allowed to do this, but they are allocated stock and then told who can have them!
If its pre-order and first reviews come out and arent to great, can cancel or send back the CPU within 14 days un-opened etc .
One distributor was looking to increase their warehouse or buy a second purely because of AMD and Q3/4 hardware releases such as Corsairs new water gear which is fantastic

Its the boards that will be the reviews your truly looking out for . how they perform, features , looks etc

Associate
For me I would wait for reviews etc. as much as you could happily return or cancel if the reviews aren't to your liking and I don't think the ryzen 3000 series will be a disappointment, there are definitely unanswered questions that could affect your choice after the fact. Ryzen 1000 series launched with just the 8 core parts, and while I am very happy with my own, my brother who bought at the same time would in retrospect have benefitted from waiting for the 6 cores and saved the money just based on what he uses his PC for.

There's also question marks about the motherboards. It would be mostly guess work as to which of the new motherboards would work the best and we don't know if there are any down sides to using older motherboards with the new chips. Again with first gen ryzen we didn't really know how motherboard choice would play out and I think a bunch of people overspent on X370 boards, hoping that they would get better overclocking, when a B350 would have worked just as well and saved them money

Soldato
Can you spill any info, Orbi?

You know you want to... :hypnotic eyes:

(wouldn't post in Ryzen thread for a while - it's about to kick off again.)

ditched main OEM to supply everything and have pretty much picked out the best makers for different parts with Corsair styling . Promo Materials looks better then what Board vendors send out to media by a hell of a long way !

ha, just mentioned about asus posting up a tease, I know of their VRMs but wasnt sure about chipset cooling, seems its confirmed on high end boards it shouldn't be used, or strix at least and EK making waterblock of Formula model - which isnt surprising and has z390 looks

Soldato
ditched main OEM to supply everything and have pretty much picked out the best makers for different parts with Corsair styling . Promo Materials looks better then what Board vendors send out to media by a hell of a long way!
Interesting, only use them for friends builds - but still like the style/space they bring to a build - especially ITX.

ha, just mentioned about asus posting up a tease, I know of their VRMs but wasnt sure about chipset cooling, seems its confirmed on high end boards it shouldn't be used, or strix at least and EK making waterblock of Formula model - which isnt surprising and has z390 looks
Posted, to give you some company...

(wouldn't post in Ryzen thread for a while - it's about to kick off again.)

EDIT: Too late :D

Poster has edited his post so all should remain calm.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom