Should this be covered under my new build Warranty?

Soldato
I bought/moved into a new build in October 2015.

Just recently, my heating system has gone crazy. Boiler not turning off when it should and constantly running (Unless physically switched of on the wall), causing the central heating to be on constantly. Also the boiler isn' feeding the hot water tank meaning no hot water.

Also the doorbell has stopped working.

The building company said the warranty expired in 2017 so **** off. I was under the impression there was a 10 year warranty and things like the heating system should be covered?

Soldato
What does your paperwork say?

Would have thought you'd get a warranty document with your boiler. Failing that check out their website and see what they offer.

Associate
10 year NHBC (or equivalent) only applies to the structure e.g. covers against subsidence issues. As said above, you will have to deal with manufacturer of the boiler, if there is any warranty left after 2+years.

Don
normally non structural will be 2 yrs, boiler may have a better warranty but that will be dependant on proper servicing having been done

Associate

Just recently, my heating system has gone crazy. Boiler not turning off when it should and constantly running (Unless physically switched of on the wall), causing the central heating to be on constantly. Also the boiler isn' feeding the hot water tank meaning no hot water.

The building company said the warranty expired in 2017 so **** off. I was under the impression there was a 10 year warranty and things like the heating system should be covered?

Sounds like maybe the zone valve is stuck - doorbell if mains probably the bell push or chime solenoid - try taking bell push off and shorting the contacts to test if its the push

Associate

What builder?

If you had reported it before you could say its re-occuring which may get them to come out again.

Associate
Our warranty is 2 years for things like the boiler and then a further 8 years (to give you the 10 year warranty) for structural things (i.e. not the boiler or doorbell)

McB

McB

Associate
Depends on the builder - we had 5 year comprehensive for internals with David Wilson Homes and the 10 year structural NHBC warranty is more of an insurance policy the builder buys. They try and wiggle out of everything after the first few months, especially with heating needing annual service otherwise won't look at it. Also warranty is not normally transferable - had friends move into a house 18 months old on same estate and they wouldn't cover heating issues and leaks as they weren't the original owner.

Don
It seems you probably only had a 2 year warranty on appliances. The 10-year will apply to the structure itself.

It sounds like the water valve that diverts water to the central heating or water tank has seized up (the boiler stays on permanently because it's trying to get the hot water up to temperature, but the water is being sent to the CH instead).

They usually look like this:

40003916-003-800x600-1.jpg

That little lever at the bottom sends water to CH, hot water or both. Try wiggling it / moving it to the other side and see if you get heat to the hot water tank instead.

Back
Top Bottom