*** Show Off Your Apple Hardware ***

Man of Honour
JeBR5oL.jpg

My 10.5" iPad Pro has been demoted to serving as a document reader for my setup :p bit overkill but it's not worth selling with how much I'd lose. Was close to ditching my new iPad Pro in favour of a surface book, but with so many online code editors popping up, it's actually serving me pretty well now.

Barely turn my PC on any more, my MBP serves me perfectly well as a desktop for everything but gaming. It's not the i9 as I didn't want the thermal issues that were being talked about when I bought it last year, but now those are kind of resolved, I do wish I'd have spent the extra

Soldato
My 10.5" iPad Pro has been demoted to serving as a document reader for my setup :p bit overkill but it's not worth selling with how much I'd lose. Was close to ditching my new iPad Pro in favour of a surface book, but with so many online code editors popping up, it's actually serving me pretty well now.

Barely turn my PC on any more, my MBP serves me perfectly well as a desktop for everything but gaming. It's not the i9 as I didn't want the thermal issues that were being talked about when I bought it last year, but now those are kind of resolved, I do wish I'd have spent the extra

Surprised at you having gaming issues?

My i7 is holding my pretty well with my eGPU and Vega 64 in Windows Bootcamp.

Solid 70fps on my Superwide running DayZ and stuff.

Associate

Loving the setup. How do you find the Logitech Craft keyboard? Easy switching between Mac and PC?

Man of Honour
Loving the setup. How do you find the Logitech Craft keyboard? Easy switching between Mac and PC?

Yeah it's a fantastic keyboard, really is. The buttons make it so simple to switch between, and if you use Logitech Flow, then it switches the keyboard automatically with the mouse.

My only complaint, and it's very minor, is maybe once a fortnight, I'll lose Bluetooth connectivity with the MacBook so have to turn Bluetooth off and on again, but as I say, it's rare and it's not enough to take away from it being a fantastic bit of kit

Permabanned
IMG-3768.jpg

IMG-5005.jpg

Will sort out the cable management when I get my new bigger white desk and will put the Mac Mini & eGPU under the desk on brackets so everything is hidden.

The Vanhaus gas powered arm is fantastic for these 32" monitors.

Soldato
Can anybody recommend a minimal iPad Pro 11" Stand? I tend to run my devices naked because I like to ask for trouble. I have the smart keyboard case, but I don't like the clutter that it causes on my desk in terms of there then being two keyboards. I'm potentially weighing up the smart-folio case but wanted to check out cheaper alternatives as I don't really want to spend £89.99 on a stand.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Recently added the following hardware to my setup.

Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT
Huawei VR 2 cable

You can see the Razer Core X under the desk, I have it in a vertical orientation to allow me to use the 0.5m passive TB3 cable to the Mac mini above. I did have it on my desk but I prefer to have it under the desk as it's quieter. The Huawei VR 2 cable allows me to connect the Display Port out on the 5700 XT, combine it with USB-A and output to USB-C to drive my 23.7" LG UltraFine 4K monitor.

Windows has been installed in boot camp allowing me to play games on there as well using the 5700 XT. This is pretty much my perfect setup.

XSJZusG.png

XoPY9K6.jpg

Associate

Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT
Huawei VR 2 cable

You can see the Razer Core X under the desk, I have it in a vertical orientation to allow me to use the 0.5m passive TB3 cable to the Mac mini above. I did have it on my desk but I prefer to have it under the desk as it's quieter. The Huawei VR 2 cable allows me to connect the Display Port out on the 5700 XT, combine it with USB-A and output to USB-C to drive my 23.7" LG UltraFine 4K monitor.

Windows has been installed in boot camp allowing me to play games on there as well using the 5700 XT. This is pretty much my perfect setup.

This looks and sounds fantastic!

Do you ever have any issues with lag, streaming the Mac Mini audio to the HomePod using Airplay? Also, when in Windows, what do you use for audio output?

Many thanks.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
This looks and sounds fantastic!

Do you ever have any issues with lag, streaming the Mac Mini audio to the HomePod using Airplay? Also, when in Windows, what do you use for audio output?

Many thanks.

I only use it for AirPlay from Apple Music rather than all audio. I may try sending all audio from Mac mini and report back.

I use the speakers on the monitor otherwise.

Associate
I may try sending all audio from Mac mini and report back.

Yeah, if and when you get time, it'd be interesting to find out if you can use the HomePod/Sonos as audio output from PC/Mac.

I guess because you're using the USB-C connection, it carries audio from the Mac to the monitor, but if you were using DisplayPort then it wouldn't. (Does DP do audio, never checked?).

Associate

Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT
Huawei VR 2 cable

Very nice indeed. I did seriously consider a setup like this back when I upgraded my gaming PC but the bang-for-buck once you've overcome all of the compromises still didn't make sense.

It's a lot closer now though, so I think I will be tempted in the future.

Soldato

Razer Core X
Sapphire Nitro+ 5700 XT
Huawei VR 2 cable

Similar to me, best of both worlds IMO.

Just watch out for the latest Windows update, it bricks eGPUs (Code 12)

Might have a look at the Huawei VR 2, I'd like to downsize my super widescreen.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Similar to me, best of both worlds IMO.

Just watch out for the latest Windows update, it bricks eGPUs (Code 12)

Might have a look at the Huawei VR 2, I'd like to downsize my super widescreen.

I've moved on my eGPU setup already. It was good at what it did, but like when I had a gaming PC I cannot for the life of me enjoy playing games. The added performance in macOS was nice, but massively overkill for my usage.

I do have the cable still which I'm planning to sell. If your interested let me know and I'll stick it on MM.

Soldato
I've moved on my eGPU setup already. It was good at what it did, but like when I had a gaming PC I cannot for the life of me enjoy playing games. The added performance in macOS was nice, but massively overkill for my usage.

I do have the cable still which I'm planning to sell. If your interested let me know and I'll stick it on MM.

Yes please! Link me up.

Back
Top Bottom