***Show us Your 3D Printing Setup***

Don
@Rilot Very neat....and yet it still looks maintainable! I recognise the 3-lever (and 5-lever) Wago blocks and I can find that there is a DIN rail holder for those that looks nothing like yours. Presumably you've 3D printed yours so they're at an angle rather than pointing straight up in the air?
There are a multitude of Wago products that fit onto DIN rails (like 216 pages of them!). So I'd be curious to know what model those are if you wouldn't mind sharing?
Also, what are the smaller terminals that you're using for your stepper lines?
Presumably that's a 24V PSU for the printer and a smaller 5V PSU for the Pi or 12V for fans?
Not that I'm trying to do much the same* thing you understand! :D

*same but shoehorning into a much smaller box and with significantly lower standards as a result!

The DIN mountable WAGO blocks are the following: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/20PC-Wir...111688?hash=item5b77556f48:g:lJMAAOSwOahe7Gie
The normal 4 and 3 way WAGOs are mounted to din rails using these adaptors: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2761624 but some of them are custom that I designed.
The little ones are these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/fivekim-Te...rds=din+rail+connector&qid=1596485958&sr=8-22

The PSUs are a big 24V item to power the heaters and main electronics. The little one provides both 12V and 5V to power fans and other 5V logic items such as the Arduino and the Neopixel rings.
The Pi is powered from a separate 5V supply to keep it isolated from the hot-side electronics. The main reason for this is that I can still control and see things if the main PSU is off. I can also kill power to the entire enclosure using the Sonoff mini directly from the Pi in the event of a heater fault.

Soldato
@Rilot Cheers, that'll come in useful. Don't have room for many of those niceties in this build but the build that I bought the 3D printer for, should be possible to spec a bigger box to lay it out nicely.

Soldato
Here's my little print farm:

C0gnlR5.jpg

This one started out as a Geeetech i3 Pro W. All that is left of that is the steppers that drive the Z axis. This was the first printer I got.
The frame is the AM8 which is a 2040 extrusion frame for the Anet A8.
Specs:
Duet2 Wifi (genuine)
Paneldue 5" (clone)
Bondtech BMG extruder (genuine)
E3D V6 hot end (genuine)
Prusa MK3 heatbed (clone)
HiWin MGN12H rails for X and Z
Inductive probe
250x210x250 build volume
Raspberry Pi3 B+ running OctoPi
Custom optical filament sensor

0ALpgs9.jpg

This one started out as a Geeetech i3 Pro B. All that remains is the power switch and an endstop microswitch.
The frame is again the AM8 which is a 2040 extrusion frame for the Anet A8.
BTT SKR V1.4 Turbo
TMC2209 drivers
TFT35 V3
Bondtech BMG extruder (clone)
E3D V6 hot end (genuine)
Prusa MK3 heatbed (clone)
Clone MGN12H rails for X and Z
BLTouch (genuine)
250x210x200 build volume
Raspberry Pi3 A+ running OctoPi
Custom microswitched filament sensor

7VzhRt2.jpg

And my ground-up build of a BLV MGN Cube with many modifications of my own design.
Custom enclosure designed by me.

Duet2 Wifi (genuine)
Paneldue 5" (genuine)
Bondtech BMG extruder (genuine)
E3D V6 hot end (genuine)
Creality CR10 heatbed
HiWin MGN12H rails for all axis
0.9 degree steppers for X/Y
Inductive probe
Optical endstops
Dual PSUs (24V and 12V+5V)
Neopixel rings that indicate bed temperature, hotend temperature, and printer status.
320x310x365 build volume
Raspberry Pi3 A+ running OctoPi
Custom optical filament sensor

8UYnzHM.jpg

KV0Mbqq.jpg

I've censored what the hot end says. You can guess though.
c4apPEd.jpg

4ALRzlF.jpg

All machines are on their own Tasmota smart switches so I can control power from OctoPi or kill power in the event of a fault.

What the hell do you print with all them?

I ran out of things to print after 8 months :)

Don
All sorts. I'm constantly designing and printing things. I can see how it would lose its appeal if you don't do CAD though.
I sell a lot of things that I print. I also take commissions from people who want something printed but don't have the time or inclination to tune a printer of their own.

The main reason for having 3 is so that I can have 2 different materials ready to go depending on what I'm printing. The one on it's own on the left usually has PETG loaded in it, the big Cube has PLA or ABS. The one underneath is my play machine. Anything new I've designed for printers gets tested on that one so it's usually in various stages of being built.

Soldato
All sorts. I'm constantly designing and printing things. I can see how it would lose its appeal if you don't do CAD though.
I sell a lot of things that I print. I also take commissions from people who want something printed but don't have the time or inclination to tune a printer of their own.

The main reason for having 3 is so that I can have 2 different materials ready to go depending on what I'm printing. The one on it's own on the left usually has PETG loaded in it, the big Cube has PLA or ABS. The one underneath is my play machine. Anything new I've designed for printers gets tested on that one so it's usually in various stages of being built.

That's a great way of using a 3D printer.

I gave @Vince all my 3D printer stuff and parts as I never used it.

So I'm looking at getting the Elegoo Saturn when it comes out this year.
If I can find nice things to print :)

Don
I'd love a resin printer but man, the effort involved in post processing and dealing with toxic resins. I just can't be bothered with that.
I'm waiting for SLS printers to come down in price. When I can get one for £2k I will bite.

Man of Honour

And im super grateful :) - I have been slowly ploughing through and have organised most stuff into storage boxes. Very soon I will commence with breaking the printer!

Soldato
And im super grateful :) - I have been slowly ploughing through and have organised most stuff into storage boxes. Very soon I will commence with breaking the printer!

Once you get the BLTouch body in the right height position.
Bed levelling will be easy\auto.

Have you used the IP cameras?

Soldato
I'd love a resin printer but man, the effort involved in post processing and dealing with toxic resins. I just can't be bothered with that.
I'm waiting for SLS printers to come down in price. When I can get one for £2k I will bite.

If I get one I will use the washable resin and home made curer.
But yes. It's a lot of messing about and extra cost.

Man of Honour
Once you get the BLTouch body in the right height position.
Bed levelling will be easy\auto.

Have you used the IP cameras?

I have used one of them... But only to spy on my cats so far. I'm in the process of building a little cat camera because "where does daisy go?". I'm having a ton of fun with them but still havent tied any of it into the smart home stuff. Im thinking they would make perfect print watching toys!

Soldato
I have used one of them... But only to spy on my cats so far. I'm in the process of building a little cat camera because "where does daisy go?". I'm having a ton of fun with them but still havent tied any of it into the smart home stuff. Im thinking they would make perfect print watching toys!

:D

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

I have a Saturn on pre order, I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives.

Associate
Not up to some of the hi spec modded machines i have seen on here lol but heres my printer if anyones interested.. https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1250x938q90/924/PVXBZq.jpg
I started out with the creality 10S 400x400 which was a great printer in all honesty but limited to what materials you could print in its standard state and i sold that to my bro last year and bought the flashforge back in March and im really enjoying using it.
Largest print was actually my PSU shroud in my present wip .. Thermaltake 91 chassis... designed in blender and printed out originally in two parts but ran out of material with 22mm to go on second part as the run out and resume feature was turned off in main settings sigh... so had to print further seperate 22mm part :) https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1667x938q90/922/PTjUtS.jpg
So a little bonding later heres how it fits before painting.. https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1250x938q90/922/tUlso3.jpg
And here tiz finished.. well bar a few coats of matt laquer. https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1250x938q90/922/xalEJX.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I've just grabbed a Mars 2 Pro as my step into Resin. I know the Saturn is coming but the bigger build plate comes with more risk!

For £275 it seems to print very well!

I set mine up yesterday along with the Mercury plus wash station (real game changer).

Really impressed with the printer so far loads of great detail coming out on my prints, been using an FDM for nearly a year now so no stranger to 3d printing.

Cheers all

Back
Top Bottom