*** Show us your Dogs ***

Soldato
Thanks all. I’m not taking this well, despite having three other dogs and 4 cats.

They sleep on and around the bed.

A few years back, looking proud

870996-A1-BCF7-4-B3-D-95-FF-A122665-DBD8-E.jpg

7 years ago in Scotland

427-E3-AF9-2-C79-43-E2-BB29-AE8-CE3-CF3341.jpg

Hours before the vet today, you wouldn’t think that anything was wrong.

77-BAF890-64-BE-42-B0-8-AC5-E02945515-F19.jpg

Soldato
I had a Staffie with my ex wife and then another with my subsequent partner who I was with for a while. Suffice to say my current mrs wasn't keen on the idea of me getting another which is understandable. They are a wonderful dog and quite frankly massively understood due to their image. A wonderful, affectionate and caring breed. Sorry to hear about your loss.

I went with a Whippet this time as it's a breed my mrs likes, plus, I've been around them all my life as my mum used to breed them. I also think they're awesome dogs. Plus, I am a Yorkshireman so perhaps as I approach my 40's that's coming out and I'll end up wearing flat cap and getting another!

New Whippet puppy is settling is extremely well, we picked him up yesterday around 2pm and he threw up in the car 3 times during the 35 minute journey home which is to be expected. Unsurprisingly he was off food and water for most of yesterday as he was finding his feet. He's been as good as gold most of today save the expected whining in the crate which I think should pass within a few weeks. He's not messed in the house yet and his whining in the crate has reduced vastly throughout the day. Alarm will be set for 4 am so I can let him out and I'll slowly push that out to a full night. Just before his dinner we were playing with him in the garden as the sun had gone down and he was responding really well to basic instructions and has borderline learned how to play fetch (reduced distance due to the heat of course). He then came in, had some water and his dinner and we let him roam around in the kitchen for 5 minutes with one of his toys and he went to the back door and let out a few whines. I took him to the garden where he had a wee straight away followed by another few minutes of playing before I put him back in the crate with no whining and he's gone straight to sleep.

The only thing we are not 100% on is his name. We want to call him 'Bruce' because his white chest looks like the Batman symbol but like I said, we aren't 100% and fully realise we need to make our minds up moving on with him.

Love him to bits already, such a bundle of joy and I've not had a dog since my ex and I split in 2014.

Whipped - like owner, like dog :p

Associate
Mia left me today, a few hours ago at the vets. Very peaceful.

Very sorry for your loss, RIP Mia.

Having dogs brings us some of the best times we will experience, but also some of the saddest. This just shows how lucky we are to have had them be a part of our families lives and always in our memories, I'm hopefully they had the best time possible whilst with us!

Soldato
Thank you! Just going through the minefield of food at the moment. The breeder is currently feeding him with this so we've bought a 15 kg bag for now.
That doesn't seem bad. I don't agree with the comments above about it being expensive. That's what you'd expect to pay for high quality grain free food. Deffo go with what the breeder used at least for first couple weeks.

I would not use any foods bulked out with cereals/grain/ lots of crap. Theres a website (forget the name) which identifies dog food quality im sure someone can link

Man of Honour
Pet Insurance... another minefield I guess! We have free cover with the Kennel Club as well as Ageas as part of the Microchip registration which runs out next month some time. I know PetPlan used to be good albeit pricy and I have heard that Asda is also good and cheaper. But apart from that I'm not too sure. Any recommendations/experiences?

Soldato
Pet Insurance... another minefield I guess! We have free cover with the Kennel Club as well as Ageas as part of the Microchip registration which runs out next month some time. I know PetPlan used to be good albeit pricy and I have heard that Asda is also good and cheaper. But apart from that I'm not too sure. Any recommendations/experiences?

Im currently with boughtby many. Significantly cheaper than pet plan and numerous options. They paid out for my parents vet bill within a week or so of getting the policy (unexpected freak accident with ball breaking a tooth).

As I understand it, for most insurers other than pet plan is you'll have to pay the money upfront then get it credited back later. As long as you can handle a couple K cash flow I don't see the issue (and credit cards may sort it).

Soldato
I've never heard of them until recently but they seem to be hammering the adverts on the radio lately and I've seen a a few people recommend them here. I'll have to check them out when mine is up for renewal.

E1SaqhBh.jpg
Yeah I guess the proof is in if the renewals quote comes in similar each year and/or if they pay out if theirs an accident! Generally from what I've read on Facebook responses have been positive.

P. S. Nice dog. Collie?

Associate
Im currently with boughtby many. Significantly cheaper than pet plan and numerous options. They paid out for my parents vet bill within a week or so of getting the policy (unexpected freak accident with ball breaking a tooth).

As I understand it, for most insurers other than pet plan is you'll have to pay the money upfront then get it credited back later. As long as you can handle a couple K cash flow I don't see the issue (and credit cards may sort it).

^This is my situation. I was with PetPlan last year but the renewal cost went up significantly, I got better cover for less money with Boughtbymany. As mentioned, the only downside seems to be that I would have to pay up front and claim back any vet fees. My daughter works in the claims department validating claims for Boughtbymany clients so I have a good idea how well the look after customers, they do pay out on claims as you would expect.

Associate
I'm insured with Direct Line. Policy wasn't the cheapest, but the extra cover provided made it worth paying. However, it's at annual renewals they all seem to get you - even if you've not claimed. We have had a claim and it jumped to £45pm at renewal (I'll try to find out what it was originally.) We're still paying it, but there will come a time when I think saving the money ourselves and 'self-insuring' will be the way to go. That's actually what our breeder recommended and does herself.

We've got our second dog show tomorrow in Leeds. If he does as well in this one as he did the first one, there's a chance he could qualify for Crufts! But tomorrow is a lot bigger show and there'll be more competition. Wish us luck!

Last edited:
Associate
I'm insured with Direct Line. Policy wasn't the cheapest, but the extra cover provided made it worth paying. However, it's at annual renewals they all seem to get you - even if you've not claimed. We have had a claim and it jumped to £45pm at renewal (I'll try to find out what it was originally.) We're still paying it, but there will come a time when I think saving the money ourselves and 'self-insuring' will be the way to go. That's actually what our breeder recommended and does herself.

We've got our second dog show tomorrow in Leeds. If he does as well in this one as he did the first one, there's a chance he could qualify for Crufts! But tomorrow is a lot bigger show and there'll be more competition. Wish us luck!

Another issue with PetPlan for me was that they didn't cover pregnant dogs, didn't even offer it as an optional extra. I was planning on Hazel having a litter so had to find an alternative policy anyway.

Oh, and good luck with the show!

Thanks all. I’m not taking this well, despite having three other dogs and 4 cats.

They sleep on and around the bed.

A few years back, looking proud

870996-A1-BCF7-4-B3-D-95-FF-A122665-DBD8-E.jpg

7 years ago in Scotland

427-E3-AF9-2-C79-43-E2-BB29-AE8-CE3-CF3341.jpg

Hours before the vet today, you wouldn’t think that anything was wrong.

77-BAF890-64-BE-42-B0-8-AC5-E02945515-F19.jpg
I'm so sorry for your loss. Beautiful photos to treasure.

I lost one of my mini sausage dogs (I had 2) on the 28th May and it was heart breaking.

I'm still trying to come to terms with it but it's hard and not easy at all.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom