1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Show us your drawings/artwork

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by shifty_uk, 19 Apr 2011.

1. gord

Capodecina

You may have explained your process already elmarko (in which case I need to find it), but are you using a lightbox/grid system? Your creations look deadly accurate.

2. elmarko

Capodecina

I put it a few pages back, it's just a case of isolating the layers using photo-shop (by playing with contrast brightness) - then drawing those layers onto paper (taking regular measurements in the key areas such as the eye to eye distance, eye to top of page, bottom/middle chin to bottom of page etc) - pencil sketching the black section after you have measured out the key marks (Gestural lines first (two layers of gestural) then fine detail lines (erasing the extra lines), block shading the black, then doing the other shades pretty roughly.

As I only use black & 4 or 5 shades of grey - it's easier to isolate the shades so you can just add them on one layer at a time.

The only part I'm meticulous with is the black layer, the rest is adlibbed - but no, I'm not using a light-box (not really much point as you don't learn anything doing that) - if you look at the hair sections close it's pretty obvious (I suck at doing hair).

Last edited: 11 Jun 2013
  3. BlackCoat2k10

Hitman

Would pay lots of money...

4. elmarko

Capodecina

I don't sell art for cash, but I do have a thread which I sent art in return for donations to Shelter via my just-giving page - that ones still available.

5. Delvis

Caporegime

Started another one tonight, no idea how it's going to turn out, we shall see!

6. BlackCoat2k10

Hitman

Fantastic, I will take a look at that thread.

7. Delvis

Caporegime

Meh meh meh.

[​IMG]

Hate hair, no idea where to start with it. Probably going to leave this one now.

8. TheMeekon

Wise Guy

Baby Big ead WIP. Lots to finish and other bits to add.

[​IMG]

9. PooBrain

PermaBanned

You are sick meekon..needs more vein.

10. TheMeekon

Wise Guy

I do have problems. Aye more veins, pores etc Only painted the base so far.

11. seabiscuit

OcUK Staff

Impressive TheMeekon. Even more impressive is that the legendary Rick Baker is saying that it should be friends with his latest sculpt, over on ZBC.
    I prefer your Cletus character. He's got more charm and character. Think they're both great though, and wish I had the skill and talent to be able to anything like that.

12. cHk4

Sgarrista

How on earth do you guys draw so good? I struggle with a stick man!

13. TheMeekon

Wise Guy

holy cr*p I didn't realize who that was posting! Yeh Cletus is stronger, got to match that.

14. elmarko

Capodecina

Really good as always!.

You should try a thin old wrinkly man, with a banjo or shotgun on a rocking chair - chewing straw.

Need to get the time to do another one, but at 11 hours for the last one I don't feel I can go back to the lower complexity stuff & the sketching for that one took hours :(.

It's important to follow the rule of "Each piece must be better than the last", which is hard to keep up as the time requirement increases which each one (more care drawing, more checks on proportions etc), I'll also have to get more than 5 shades of grey somehow, or cross-hatch/dot shade with those 5 to get another 5 shades odd.

I've still got a Captain Kirk to draw.

Last edited: 18 Jun 2013
  15. TheMeekon

Wise Guy

Do you post any work yourself?

16. seabiscuit

OcUK Staff

No, I'm about as artistic as a breezeblock. I still enjoy trying and playing. I bought Zbrush back at version 2, and it was too complex back then. Now it's a beast of software. Glad all updates have been free. Scultptris is just fun though, love that.

17. TheMeekon

Wise Guy

I hated Zbrush with a passion at first but pushed through and now I'm in love. I feel the stress just drop off me when I close Maya and open Zbrush. I'm hopefully angling my way out of the typical 3D role for this reason. If I didn't have commitments I would of binned Maya a long time ago.

Sculptris is great, its pushed me to give Zbrush another go in 2011.

18. LanceCrossfire

Hitman

Looks good Meekon ^^

Some more Zbrush practice from me...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. TheMeekon

Wise Guy

Human head looking really good now. Drop the symmetry on them and you will find your work develop even better.

20. ikillbears

Mobster

something i painted for the girlfriend for her birthday. bit of a rip off but im quite proud of my self seeing as i have only ever painted something once before and that was a year ago for the same reason

[​IMG]