Show Us Your Motors!

Caporegime
Check out my orange, banana and apple peel:

To be fair, it isn't the best, there is a bit of orange peeling going on!

qrf.jpg

Soldato
Didnt think the orange peel was that bad, to be honest. Nor do I think its that bad in general, and nowhere near as jarring as swil marks and marring...at least with orange peel you can only see it close up, whereas swirl marks can be visible a mile off. And orange peel just gives the paint a textured effect...not desirable, but arguably not horrendously unattractive.

Caporegime
Didnt think the orange peel was that bad, to be honest. Nor do I think its that bad in general, and nowhere near as jarring as swil marks and marring...at least with orange peel you can only see it close up, whereas swirl marks can be visible a mile off. And orange peel just gives the paint a textured effect...not desirable, but arguably not horrendously unattractive.

On some modern cars you can see it from a mile away. My friends mum bought a new Fiesta in some metallic gray colour, and I was sitting in my car outside my friends house on the other side of the road, and could see just how abysmal the paint quality was on it from where I was sat.

Mentioned it when my mate got in the car and he said "I know, its awful, but Mum doesn't see what I'm talking about"

Which is why they can get away with it... :(

Caporegime
Oh. I've only ever noticed it close up, and even then rarely think much of it.

Most aren't that bad. But I've done rattle can jobs on my driveway which end up with less orange peel than some new cars. Mercs are another one I've noticed are pretty bad at times.

I don't know when it started or why, what painting method changed etc? Cars never used to be orange peely.

Soldato
Most aren't that bad. But I've done rattle can jobs on my driveway which end up with less orange peel than some new cars. Mercs are another one I've noticed are pretty bad at times.

I don't know when it started or why, what painting method changed etc? Cars never used to be orange peely.

Water based paints and reduction of all the use of solvents etc is the main reason.

Back
Top Bottom