Show Us Your Motors!

Associate
Previously had a 2010 Toyota Auris Hybrid but I was going to die from boredom driving it.

Upgraded to this. 370Nm Torque is much better round town and off the lights.

S1OJdKL.jpg

Associate
What age and mileage has the Ampera done? How are you finding the battery-only range?
2014-143K; Private buyer for 5G so kind of a steal with no issues so far.

Only had for 2-Weeks but am getting 40 miles on a 50p charge then 40mpg on motorway cruise afterward.

Commute is 27 miles round trip so perfect for that plus the 200-miles needed for the monthly folks visit.

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Hate the insignia style interiors on those (amperas), but i do find them to be very interesting cars. It seems a shame to me that more petrol-electric cars don't exist. The i3 being the other obvious one (and one which appeals a lot more to me).

Caporegime
Hate the insignia style interiors on those (amperas), but i do find them to be very interesting cars. It seems a shame to me that more petrol-electric cars don't exist. The i3 being the other obvious one (and one which appeals a lot more to me).
Agreed, since buying the Passat GTE it’s highlighted how many of my journeys I could do on electricity alone, with around 60-80% more range I’d comfortably get back from work if the chargers were out of action or all in use. The Ampera is interesting with its theoretical 50mi range. I’d have contemplated an i3 ReX but I find myself thinking sod it, just get a full electric i3S if going for an i3.

Soldato
These were some way ahead of their time - if it was launched today it would fit right in with the current crop of PHEVs and Range-Extenders.

Jez - I wouldn't have said the interior with the haptic-feedback buttons etc was particularly like an Insignia?

Last edited:

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
These were some way ahead of their time - if it was launched today it would fit right in with the current crop of PHEVs and Range-Extenders.

Jez - I wouldn't have said the interior with the haptic-feedback buttons etc was particularly like an Insignia?

Definitely, when these were launched i don't think anyone really understood them. A very interesting car which as you say, would likely do much better if launched now. Its a shame that so few petrol-electrics are built it really is. :)

The interior is just my personal dislike for "modern" Vauxhall interiors really, i inherited an Insignia (2010 model) which was without doubt the most horrible car which i have ever driven - the Ampera looks so similar aesthetically, it scars me whenever i see one! Such a shame as i have had 2 Vectra C's, and an Omega, my father has had Senators and Carltons, i really liked all of those. It seemed to me as though the quality of the modern cars has taken a massive nosedive.

Agreed, since buying the Passat GTE it’s highlighted how many of my journeys I could do on electricity alone, with around 60-80% more range I’d comfortably get back from work if the chargers were out of action or all in use. The Ampera is interesting with its theoretical 50mi range. I’d have contemplated an i3 ReX but I find myself thinking sod it, just get a full electric i3S if going for an i3.

As more people outside of the internet start to drive electric, it really is subtly changing the mindset for me when it comes to shovelling endless diesel into my cars. As you have found since getting your hybrid, it is dawning on me just how much diesel we burn through short journeys which would be covered by even the worst of the EVs - i did over 150 miles this weekend in my Cayenne and X3 diesels just popping to the shops, taking my boy to drama and tennis classes in town, etc - all of these were the ~15 mile round trip to town, repetitive local journey only. This week added to that i'll no doubt do another 45+ in the same fashion just grabbing beers and bits and bobs.
Unfortunately due to my excessive commuting, going all EV as a household isnt quite there yet (i tend to do 100+ every day, and it is unpredictable). The petrol-electric drivetrains change this prospect for me entirely as the range becomes a non issue. As such for me the BEV i3 just becomes another small uninteresting car and a different prospect to the REX.

Back
Top Bottom