Show Us Your Racks

Soldato
There's 2 rows of racks behind these ones that has cables crossing the aisle. It actually looks like a funnel web spiders nest of cat cabling. I tried to get a picture of that one but they were politely bundling me out by that point. Perhaps when I go back as its a more dramatic picture than the one above.

Associate
Hmm, now you mention it, looking back at your pictures that is a bit of a short rack. Looks too long for just for switches though so a bit of a strange size?

I'm a pragmatic person, i'll claim i did it on purpose so i have somewhere to put my cup of coffee when i have to do any work in there.

Permabanned
We're moving to a managed office. All we have to do is bring our existing switch and router and they'll plug it into their infrastructure ...

rack.jpg

I would sack any technician that cables like that! Ask for a weekend to get that tidied up man jesus bloody christ!! Makes me sick that does!

Soldato
Wait till you see the other side, hopefully I'll be able to get another picture. Lord knows where our kit will be placed but ultimately its not my problem.

Caporegime
I'm probably going to re-cable the server room as overtime on a weekend somewhen. It isn't my job to do it, but it annoys me so much as someone who has to work in that room sometimes, that I will do it.

It is only a small server room, there is one rack which looks as messy (if not worse) as those above, and two further racks which have servers in and are a little more tidy. However all of the cables are the same colour, and none are labelled...

There are even cables going from cab to cab OUTSIDE of the cable routing holes, for NO GOOD REASON, meaning that multiple cab doors can't close. Really annoying... Sorted two of those cables today and closed three cab doors, and hopefully will get all the doors closed soon... :rolleyes:

Associate
My home server setup:

Routing:
ASA 5505 for internet and remote vpn (connected to BT fibre modem).
Cisco 3750G 24 (for internal routing, vlans and vrf for dmz/isa)

Server:
Running ESXi vCloud Ent V 6.1 update 1 (running 25 vms from DC, DFS, exchange, WEB IIS, WSUS, Vcenter, sharepoint, SQL, remote access, TMG)
HP DL360 G7
2 x X5650 XEON
172GB DDR 3 RAM ECC
2 x SAMSUNG EVO 1TB SSD
Areca 1880X 16 port raid card - connected to 4 x 4TB WD RED drives (Raid 5)
additional quad port gigabit nic for backup (ether channel)
2 x 460W redundant PSU

Backup server:
DL180 G6
2 x E5620 XEON
32GB RAM
HP 440i raid card connected to 12 x 3.5" HDD in RAID 1+0
12 x 2TB (mix of WD ent and green drives)
2x 750w redundant psu

Backup power:
APC 1500 rackmount PSU

Remote management:
Avocent IP KVM

Rack: Startech 12u frame based rack.

I will post some pics when I get some time.

Associate
My home server setup:

Routing:
ASA 5505 for internet and remote vpn (connected to BT fibre modem).
Cisco 3750G 24 (for internal routing, vlans and vrf for dmz/isa)

Server:
Running ESXi vCloud Ent V 6.1 update 1 (running 25 vms from DC, DFS, exchange, WEB IIS, WSUS, Vcenter, sharepoint, SQL, remote access, TMG)
HP DL360 G7
2 x X5650 XEON
172GB DDR 3 RAM ECC
2 x SAMSUNG EVO 1TB SSD
Areca 1880X 16 port raid card - connected to 4 x 4TB WD RED drives (Raid 5)
additional quad port gigabit nic for backup (ether channel)
2 x 460W redundant PSU

Backup server:
DL180 G6
2 x E5620 XEON
32GB RAM
HP 440i raid card connected to 12 x 3.5" HDD in RAID 1+0
12 x 2TB (mix of WD ent and green drives)
2x 750w redundant psu

Backup power:
APC 1500 rackmount PSU

Remote management:
Avocent IP KVM

Rack: Startech 12u frame based rack.

I will post some pics when I get some time.

bit over kill for home use?

Soldato
Been having a crack at tidying my rack up a bit. Not achieved much, but to be honest it couldn't have been much worse!

No picures as couldn't be bothered as ached so much, but here is the current contents, bottom to top:

2x 1500 APC UPSs for the severs and tape library
Dell TL4000 tape library, currently with 2x HH LTO4 and 1x HH LTO 5
HP DL380 G7 with E5620 and 18GB RAM - Hyper-V server 2012 R2. Currrently running 2 VMs - VEEAM server and Monitoring software server. 2x 300 GB drives internally.
HP DL380 Gen8 with 2x E5-2620 V2 and 64GB RAM - Windows Server 2012 R2. Currently running 6 VMs (DC, File server, etc.) 8x 1.2TB drives internally.
Blade G8124 10Gbe switch
1x 1500 APC UPS for ancillaries
HP D2700 disk shelf - currently 10x 1TB WD RED for the backup server's storage.
BT Modem thing and Sonicwall TZ205 on a shelf
HP 1920 16 Port switch

Planning on upping the number of VMs on the Gen8 as and when I can afford licences. I've still got some stuff running on a microserver which will be migrated over for example.

Last edited:
Soldato
Oh, and sitting on top is an HP 4/8 FC switch which I didn't actually need for the tape library, and my now redundant as replaces with the G7, HP P4000 G2 "unified NAS Gateway" - a 1U HP server with Storage Server 2008 R2 COA. Nothing wrong with it, but not enough expandability for me so will be selling it.

Associate
We're moving to a managed office. All we have to do is bring our existing switch and router and they'll plug it into their infrastructure ...

rack.jpg

I can relate to that, the server room in work is not to that scale, but still one hell of a mess. There is even an extension lead going across the floor in there as it was only realised after the install that the CCTV wasn't connected to the UPS!

Back
Top Bottom