1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shrapnel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sinque, 17 Oct 2009.

1. Sinque

Soldato

I've started accumulating stacks and stacks of 1 and 2 pence coins. I don't see the point of these coins at all, all the 99pence things we buy and get 1pence change which is usually thrown on the floor or the bin. Is there actually any point to these apart from being all over? Surely rounding the price of goods to the nearest 5pence would make shops more efficient due to not having to give hundreds of people 1pence change.

2. Vonhelmet

Caporegime

You throw pennies in the bin or on the floor?

That's stupid.

3. Beerbaron

Soldato

save them all as it surprising how quick they add up

4. Sinque

Soldato

No, else I wouldn't of accumulated stacks of them :p The majority of my friends do though!

5. Yas786

Caporegime

I tend to throw them away myself...i dont keep shrapnel...i only keep shiny silvery coins:p

Actually lately ive been giving them to my mum, who likes hoarding them along with £2 coins...shes got over £100 in £2 coins bless her:p

6. Russinating

Capodecina

I usually just shove them all in a dish at home and **** off takeaway delivery drivers with them.

7. Stormar

Hitman

i stick mine in a jar then nip down to a supermarket and stick them in a exchange machine last time i got £77 in 1s 2s and 5ps...:)

8. Cosimo

Man of Honour

I don’t have a problem with small coins they get chucked into a large jar then taken to the bank.

9. Russinating

Capodecina

You know they take ~8% commission yes?

10. Efour

Caporegime

Pay for everything by switch problem solved..

Give them to/ put them in charity boxes,dont throw them away... that's what i do

11. deano_deano

Gangster

We used to price everything to .95p but am swaying back to putting things to .99p. It's easier with pennies rather than 5p.

Also instead of putting small coins into the exchange machine, buy some goods and put them in the self service counters if they don't have a limit on small coins. That way you won't loose a percentage.

12. Tomsk

Soldato

If the shop has a collection tin by the till, my coppers go straight in.
    Anything I bring home is put into a jar until full, then I give the whole lot to a local charity shop.

13. JBuk

Capodecina

yep, I started doing this months ago and now I have about 37 pence

14. Amp34

Caporegime

Not really, i've been collecting my coppers for about 4 years, quite a weight but I counted them out a couple of months ago and it was a grand total of about £4.:p

Having said that I do put a reasonable amount in chaity boxes if there is one next to the till.

15. Camalot

Soldato

i put my 1ps 2ps and 5ps in a jar, 10ps and above i put on my food card for work.

16. MikeHunt79

Capodecina

I glue all my 1 and 2 p's together and make a big ever expanding heatsink... :p

17. semi-pro waster

Man of Honour

It comes down to basic psychology, something at £4.99 looks to be more of a bargain than an equivalent product at £5.00. Even though people know that the difference is negligible there is enough of an attraction there for it to be a worthwhile practice for shops to continue with.

I tend to chuck my spare change in a couple of Pringles tubes and take it into the bank when I've got a reasonable sum/can be bothered. It probably works out to be £20 every few months which is better than a kick in the teeth and it also means that I don't carry round loads of change all the time.

18. zooankski

Hitman

My stepdad tries to pay his council tax with his shrapnel as much as possible!:D

19. Jotun

Mobster

Yeah it gets a bit annoying, I've got a nice stack of them.

I loved the currency in China, notes for everything. They use the yuan which is around 10p, and then have a smaller note that is 1/10th of a yuan, so roughly 1p.

I only got 1 coin from the 2 trips I took there. Made me feel pretty rich with my wallet stuffed with notes, even if the total was only £30 or so :p

20. marc2003

Capodecina

i'd rather pay that than count all the change into plastic bags and take it to the bank. :)