shuttle air cooling solution

Soldato
right, iv just installed my x800xt pe(into my sn95g5v2) , its a beasty card and it doesnt half give off a lot of heat, all of which gets dumped inside my system..
Basically Id like to start overclocking my rig now (3500 newc, 512x2 geil value 3200) but im a bit worried that its going to fry. I began to suspect that the chipset was overheating aswell the other day, so im looking to mod this SOB with some better cooling, preferably quieter though, or even better, CONTROLLABLE!
The shuttle smart-fan seems to be completely useless, i want to be able to control my fans so every so often i can 'vent' the case of hot air by turning the fans up onto full blast for a minute or so, im looking at maybes replacing the PSU fans with 2 quieter 40mm ones, as iv read that thats a big cause of noise. Im also looking at perhaps installing a different chipset cooling solution, maybes a passive heatsink(wait for it.) Then perhaps mount a few low spinning 40mm fans inside the case towards the front bottom of the case blowing the air under the hdd rack, past the chipset solution and towards the ICE+exhaust. This would be complemented by another two small 40mm attatched to the case covering on the mesh bits, slow spinning pulling a constant intake in supplying the other 40mms with cooler air.
I wouldnt mind being able to have control of all these to be able to properly vent the air sometimes(during gaming sessions) but id like to be able to have them low(when im watching a film with the mrs)
Also concidering the 120mm on the back, after removing the grill.
Bit stuck for gfx cooling ideas, getting the hot air out the case... i dont really want to physically hack at the exterior of the case!
Would anyone think blocking all the mesh around the side was a bad idea, i want to control the airflow more, have it coming in at the front and going out at the back, trying to direct all heat in that general direction...\

/end-of-essay

Soldato
for your graphics card use atitool. i use it to control my X800pro. its got a temp monitoring option and fan control option on it, plus v.good for overclocking

regularly run my pro at XT PE speeds nicely :)

as for the rest of your system, id advise against any 40mm fans except for the power supply. they really are a waste of space and time, just make noise and push barely any air. if anythin, get a quiet 80mm fan in. you should be able to fit on inbetweent he front of the chassis and graphics card. ive got one here in my SN85G4V3 that pushes air out, but you can easily haveit sucking it and over your hard drives and hten out the back over the ICE. Ive actually got a 120mm fan on the inside sucking air off *** ICE and pushing it to the front of the case, where the 120mm sucks it out the case as ive cut a window in the side so i could fit an arctic cooler on too :) works very well

also could try the zalman NB cooler, i got one of these too, is quite a bit better than the stingy little thing that it came with.

also ive modded a few switches on the front of mine with a circuit i made on some vera-board to control my fan speeds, switch between 5v and 12v, works very well :) but if ya dont want anythin like that, then speedfan wil be your best bet

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
i was looking at making some switches like you'v got, lets me have more control during gaming sessions etc. Hmmm well i was thinking 80s wouldnt fit where i wanted em too, and there wasnt much point having an 80mm as intake as its a lot bigger than the mesh opening. Pulling air out the front over the ICE? *** the..? dont think i quite understand you here... ?
yea i looked at the zalman NB also.

It'd be great if sum1 made sum small longer fans that are designed like the coolermaster aero7s, they'r great, and if it was a little strip it'd be ideal for mounting on the front end of a shuttle pressure the air into the back of the case to be pulled out via the ICE

Soldato
basically ive taken the shroud off the ICE heatsink and put a 120mm fan on ther that sucks heat away fromt he heatsink (the opposite way round to the stock fan). this then blows the air over the NB with the zalman on and hard drives, then i have the 80mm fan that sucks this out the side. contrary to wht you may be thinking (wont this be pushing hot air over everything) it doesnt, cos of the ammount of air the 120mm fan pushes, it is relativly cool, id say slightly above ambient temp. also found that sucking heat away from the ICE rather than blowing through it worked better by a few degrees :)

as for the switches, these are mine and the circuit i made:

dsc000639vo.jpg

just a simple molex in, the yellow and red wires go off to the switches to switch between 5v and 12v. the fan connects to the 3 pin header, the yellow and black wires go to the mobo headers to provide an RPM reading. the last header on the right side is for my blue LED, just a simple 12v blue LED that also goes to a switch to turn it on and off. also included a molex on the other side so it can be used as a kind of extender, came in very handy for providing a molex to my graphics card whilst keeping it neat and tidy :)

dsc000620rt.jpg

then the 3 switches on the front of the case on the left (sorry for my poor camera work lol)

Back
Top Bottom