1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shuttle SN25P Expansion Slots

Discussion in 'Small Form Factor and Single Board Computers' started by Pinkeyes, 28 Mar 2006.

1. Pinkeyes

Wise Guy

I am in the process of buiying a new system based around this shuttle.

I was thinking of putting a graphics card and Audigy sound card in, but just noticed they don't have a standard PCI Slot.
    Is that right ? not one ! - Just PCI-Express and PCI Express 1x ?

Anyone know of anything useful you can plug into those 1x slots ?

I thought an Audigy would be better than onboard sound, are the shuttle ones more than acceptable when it comes to sound in games ?

2. Goksly

Capodecina

Yup just one PCI-E x16 and PCI-E x1 - its a small case, dont ya know :p

Think Creative do a sound card but its been showing compat issues (see sffforum).... TV tuner seems a popular choice... but remember a dual slot cooler will mean u cant fit nowt in it.

3. wyatt gates

Wise Guy

the envy audio chipset which onboard with sn25 p is the best that you can get not worth getting a soundcard at all ;)

Last edited: 28 Mar 2006
  4. Pinkeyes

Wise Guy

Thanks for the replies.

Have found 1x cards for RAID, TV Cards, USB cards, TV Card is about the most useful but think I would go the external TV via USB if needed.

5. Goksly

Capodecina

I think the onboard sound is "average" tbh. For example, if I want to play my mp3s through all speakers (5.1) i have to turn on an option... with this option on the 3d surround sound in games is a bit...megh.
    Even with the option off its hardly above average. soundstorm slayed it - so its not as if onboard solutions cant do it. But PCI-E solutions are thing on the ground and I have a dual slot cooler.
    :(

6. Pinkeyes

Wise Guy

I would do the opposite of that. I wouldn't want to hear music in anything more than 2.1 (through a music amplifier), but would want to listen to games in 5.1 (I have the Medusa 5.1 headphones).
    You are worrying me a little as to the sound quality of this shuttle. Is it really that noticably bad ?