Sick of Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P due to Endless Problems

Associate
A long time ago, I purchased the 8Pack X99 bundle which included the i7-5820K, 16GB,AIO and Gigabyte X99 Gaming 5P. This particular board has been nothing short of a nightmare with black screens, boot loops and going faulty quite often. Recently, I RMA'd the motherboard with Gigabyte via OCUK and it took exactly 28 days despite having the RMA centre in the UK. Eventually, I was told the motherboard was repaired with no additional information about the nature of the fault.

Now, I've had the CPU replaced by Intel with a brand new one and was looking forward to building a new system. Annoyingly, the faults have come back once more.

This time, the system fails to post an powers only for a second before powering down, almost like a power cycling. I've tried two SuperFlower PSUs with the same result. Also, attempted, reseating the cooler, only using 1 memory stick, removing the CMOS battery. and tightening the screws to stop any shorts from happening.

The weird thing is when the system first powered it loaded the splash screen and showed an image. This was only for a brief moment though and the power keeps cycling. Additionally, I've tried different AC cables, sockets and tried powering on without the PSU as well as testing the power supplies with a 24-pin switch.

Surely, the motherboard is at fault given the previous stability with the same memory and brand new processor. My concern is another RMA will take ages and I can't afford to be without my machine for this period.

I'm close to cutting my losses and ordering a Z370 motherboard longside the 8700K. Really disappointed in the quality of Gigabyte's x99 motherboard. If you have any ideas to fix the cycling power, that would be appropriated.

Associate
In case you haven't tried this already have you run at the stock bios setting , i.e no overclock no xmp ?

Have you also tried to boot with just one memory stick ?

I have had similar issues on x99 with power cycling and it was always memory related.

A lack of a post code display is a huge drawback for any x99 board, without one i would have been left banging my head against a brick wall many a time.

Associate
OP
In case you haven't tried this already have you run at the stock bios setting , i.e no overclock no xmp ?

Have you also tried to boot with just one memory stick ?

I have had similar issues on x99 with power cycling and it was always memory related.

A lack of a post code display is a huge drawback for any x99 board, without one i would have been left banging my head against a brick wall many a time.

Can't access the BIOS, yep tried powering on with no ram inserted too.

Thanks.

Associate
OP
Hello..

I can make sure the board gets looked at for you ASAP, sorry to hear you are having so many problems. If you let me know the serial number I can also try and find out what the original repair was too and give you more details.

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response. I'll get the serial number sent to you today and look forward to an update. If possible, it would be preferred to get this resolved within a quick period, as I have been without a working motherboard/system for some time previously. From my experience, this particular board tends to work fine on moment, then randomly die.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom