Sid Meier's Pirates on Steam

Soldato
I started up steam to see if it required any updates and to my suprise discovered that Sid Meier's Pirates was available for sale. I'd been looking for it for ages, but as no doubt a lot of you will know its pretty hard to come by and when you do find it online its often quite expensive. Anyway purchased it from steam and while its not cheap considering its an old game it was certainly worth it as its brilliant :) Havent had this much fun in a game for a long time. Currently got a little armada of around 8 ships, lol

Soldato
It's a really good game and I've replayed it a few times as the different nations. I prefer going Dutch as they start with very few territories so it's a bit of a challenge. I find the family story annoying and only ever done two or three family members.

Should be a lot cheaper buying from a shop as it's a fairly old game now and I think should be available in the bargain price range.

Soldato
OP
afraser2k said:
It's a really good game and I've replayed it a few times as the different nations. I prefer going Dutch as they start with very few territories so it's a bit of a challenge. I find the family story annoying and only ever done two or three family members.

Should be a lot cheaper buying from a shop as it's a fairly old game now and I think should be available in the bargain price range.

Thats actually not the case, its almost impossible to find. If you do find it online, especially on auction sites and the like its very expensive as its got a bit of a cult following. All the usual suspects never have it in stock.

Soldato
It's okay for a day or two, then the repetitiveness really gets on your nerves and you will never go back to it again! A bit of fun while it lasts though.

Soldato
ah that games aswome fun been thinking of playing it again recently :)

little tip cap a nice frigate with 38 guns and your laughing it pwns the big galleons :D

Soldato
$30, pfft.

Thought steam was going to be bringing us cheaper prices?

as Teal'c would say

Indeed!

14at6.jpg

Just shows the developers revealing their true colours.

Associate
nero120 said:
It's okay for a day or two, then the repetitiveness really gets on your nerves and you will never go back to it again! A bit of fun while it lasts though.

I had much the same experience, I was totally addicted initially but it wore off quite quickly. Still a good fun game though.

Soldato
melchy said:
Thats actually not the case, its almost impossible to find. If you do find it online, especially on auction sites and the like its very expensive as its got a bit of a cult following. All the usual suspects never have it in stock.

Strange that it's the case, would've thought by now it'd be £10-£15. Must be more popular than I thought. :)

As for the game itself I usually prefer keeping a Royal Sloop rather than the Galleons until I get a Large Frigate. I think the best ship is the frigate that belongs to one of the higher-up pirates (forget his name), fast, maneuverable and loads of guns/crew.

Dancing is a pain at first but gets easy quickly.

Associate
nero120 said:

Na, it's good for a blast every now & again - just dont play it on easy for long, it's a much better game when played at a higher level :)

Man of Honour
I agree with the comments above - for a few days/week it plays fantastically, really addictive - but eventually after wiping out all the other pirates and obtaining all the items I got kinda bored. Sailing against the wind is a bit of a drag and the animation sequences (fights/bars) get kinda dull and repetitive after a while.

IMO this is the perfect game to rent - it's the kinda game where after a few hours of play you are thinking "WOW - 90%+ title here", but in the longterm revised down into the 80s.

Man of Honour
$30 for the download version?

I only paid £25 for the full collectord edition with map and tshirt when it was relelased!

KY Jelly is in the cupboard - just bend over and relax!

Simon/~Flibster

Soldato
melchy said:
Must be recent. I bought it for a fiver new a few months back. Haven't played it since the initial "PIRATES! :eek:" wore off.

Back
Top Bottom