1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

silencing a desktop drive

Discussion in 'Storage Drives' started by squiffy, 9 May 2006.

1. squiffy

Banned

Do hd silencers work? I would like to get laptop levels of noise from a desktop drive. Seed isn't important (shame 5400rpm 3.5" are no more) but would like high capacity and quiet noise levels.

ta

2. cavemanoc

Mobster

The full enclosure ones do exactly what they say on the tin - you can lop 90% of the noise off with something like this:

SilentDrive
    [​IMG]

and

Silentmaxx
    [​IMG]

The suspention method works reasonably well, but is not as comprehensive as it only cuts down on the case vibration, not the head (clicking) noises.

I have one of each of the picks above and they're both great - they both silence and cool - but bear in mind they are only rated to 10k and even then I'd be reluctant to put a Raptor in the Silent Drive.

3. pcoltrane

Hitman

A suspended samsung spinpoint is as quiet as some laptop drives. The problem with most of the enclosures is that you risk overheating the drive.

Maybe a daft question - but why not just buy a sata laptop drive?

4. squiffy

Banned

thanks, quite expensive. :( at around 30 quid. As for why not get a laptop drive, can you even get 250 or 320 gb? And under a ton? I need near silence plus high capacity.

5. cavemanoc

Mobster

In that case - Tha Samsungs are for you - you can get mounts from the shop like these

[​IMG]

Between them and the Spinpoint it will be whisper quiet :p

(Though I picked up 2 of those SilentDrives 2nd hand for about £15 - well worth it, and they do a reasonable job of cooling as well as quietening)