Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Man of Honour
OP
devils advocate - its the weight of brass and thermal inertia that carries it during the brewing process, can the boiler heating/electronics really contribute during those 20s or so ?
I've never heard if there is much variation in PID type algorithms.

It's less about the thermal inertia of the components and group head and more about the temperature of the water in the brew pipe.
In a Heat Exchange machine the boiler heats the steam water to about 127C, the brew water passes through this boiler in a coper pipe, if its sat there too long it will get to 127C when you really want it at 90C.
This is why you typically need to do a cooling flush on a heat exchanger to purge that 127C water in the brew pipe, wait for a bit for the brew water to hit 90 and pour.

I'm not sure what the MaraX is doing to keep the temperature in the brew pipe down, but it seems to work according to all the tests i've seen...

Soldato
In a Heat Exchange machine the boiler heats the steam water to about 127C, the brew water passes through this boiler in a coper pipe, if its sat there too long it will get to 127C when you really want it at 90C.
which is why 5 posts ago I had said marax does have a distinctive feature in that respect -
The maraX ability to prioritize brew temperature and, thus, avoid having to do cooling hx shots, appeals to me,
that's big on my list on known unknowns, given that I don't use steam a lot, it's an angle where my previous silvia might be more stable.
yes ok , perhaps not avoid ;

Associate
Sorry if this has been covered before, but I've been handed down a DeLonghi EC680M coffee machine and I'm now looking for a grinder to go with it. I don't particularly want to spend a fortune, but am open to anything based on the merits. Anyone got any tips or recommendations?

Man of Honour
OP
which is why 5 posts ago I had said marax does have a distinctive feature in that respect -

yes, sorry missed that :)

I'm in the same boat, in so far as I don't do milk. The dilema is that single boiler machines tend to be lower end, HX tends to prioritise the steam and you have to faff to get the brew water right and dual boilers are large & expensive when your ignoring the steam boiler. The Sage is probably the cheapest but they seem to treat them as throwaway so if anything breaks your out of luck.

I kept an eye out for the ecm puristika but there have been no updates all year so gave up waiting.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I've been handed down a DeLonghi EC680M coffee machine and I'm now looking for a grinder to go with it. I don't particularly want to spend a fortune, but am open to anything based on the merits. Anyone got any tips or recommendations?

depends on the budget, i'd be looking at the MC2, the lelit fred (which is the same machine with a different body) or a Mignon Manuale - if your happy to go second hand then your options open up a bit but Grimley is right, second hand Mignon is a good bet.

Soldato
Soldato

I've got an MC2 in the office and a Mignon at home. For the price the MC2 is great. It's a faff to change the grind, but I rarely do that in work so it's not an issue for me. The Mignon is a much better machine but also costs a lot more!

I've been after a new Moka pot for work and while looking at all the different versions, noticed they do one (Mukka) that can make cappuccinos. The reviews seem a bit hit and miss so was wondering if anyone here has any experience of one? I much prefer drinking cappuccino to normal coffee but only ever have it at home with the Gaggia. If the Mukka can make a reasonable cappuccino, I'd be happy with that for work but I don't want to blow £60 on it if it's rubbish.

Soldato
I've got an MC2 in the office and a Mignon at home. For the price the MC2 is great. It's a faff to change the grind, but I rarely do that in work so it's not an issue for me. The Mignon is a much better machine but also costs a lot more!

I've been after a new Moka pot for work and while looking at all the different versions, noticed they do one (Mukka) that can make cappuccinos. The reviews seem a bit hit and miss so was wondering if anyone here has any experience of one? I much prefer drinking cappuccino to normal coffee but only ever have it at home with the Gaggia. If the Mukka can make a reasonable cappuccino, I'd be happy with that for work but I don't want to blow £60 on it if it's rubbish.
I've always wanted a DeLonghi Alicia. Electric mokka pot. That and an electric frother?

Soldato
I've always wanted a DeLonghi Alicia. Electric mokka pot. That and an electric frother?

I've got a little Bialetti Moka Express but I've only got one so if I want to use it at home over the weekend, I have to remember to bring it home. Very much a first world problem! I was just going to buy the same again as I have no problem with it, but noticed Bialetti seem to make half a dozen different versions now and spotted the Mukka. Another Moka Express and milk frother would work though.

Soldato
Read the last few pages of this and my head is spinning a little bit. Not even sure if this is the best place to ask but I am an uncultured man and drink instant coffee. (black, no milk or sugar)

I am sure there is flavour and texture I am missing out on but where do I start? I normally drink a couple mugs a day, not a huge fan of espresso but do like a flat white.

Where do I start?

Seen a few guys in the office use a french press and aeropress, are those good 'entry' points?

Soldato
Read the last few pages of this and my head is spinning a little bit. Not even sure if this is the best place to ask but I am an uncultured man and drink instant coffee. (black, no milk or sugar)

I am sure there is flavour and texture I am missing out on but where do I start? I normally drink a couple mugs a day, not a huge fan of espresso but do like a flat white.

Where do I start?

Seen a few guys in the office use a french press and aeropress, are those good 'entry' points?
IMO I tried a few things and liked them when I got into coffee - french press, bad espresso machine, capsules etc.

Then the biggest change was getting beans and grinding myself. So I'd recommend a simple hand grinder and an AeroPress, and it'll open you up to tons of flavour and also choice/variation.

Soldato
IMO I tried a few things and liked them when I got into coffee - french press, bad espresso machine, capsules etc.

Then the biggest change was getting beans and grinding myself. So I'd recommend a simple hand grinder and an AeroPress, and it'll open you up to tons of flavour and also choice/variation.
AeroPress and a grinder looks a good start, I have been reading its best to go for beans and grind so I could definitely give it a go. Might put them both on my christmas list as the missus always pesters me and I have never got a clue what to go for.

Just getting some fresh beans and making filter will be a huge step up from instant.
Definitely, I think im gonna jump in with the aeropress and fresh grind and see how this goes!

Associate
Read the last few pages of this and my head is spinning a little bit.

@Biz.Kid09 I would recommend reading the thread if you have the time. It kept me entertained for a few weeks during lockdown and has been really informative. Some coffee discussion forums can be a bit of a minefield.

I think im gonna jump in with the aeropress and fresh grind and see how this goes!

I'm still very much an espresso n00b but this is the way I started. Taking an espresso machine into the office wasn't an option, so it wasn't until working from home became a long term prospect that I made the jump to an espresso appliance.

I would also recommend trying a moka pot with the hand grinder for variation. I found this to give a more intense flavour and bigger caffeine "hit" compared to the Aeropress.

Soldato
@Biz.Kid09 I would recommend reading the thread if you have the time. It kept me entertained for a few weeks during lockdown and has been really informative. Some coffee discussion forums can be a bit of a minefield.

I'm still very much an espresso n00b but this is the way I started. Taking an espresso machine into the office wasn't an option, so it wasn't until working from home became a long term prospect that I made the jump to an espresso appliance.

I would also recommend trying a moka pot with the hand grinder for variation. I found this to give a more intense flavour and bigger caffeine "hit" compared to the Aeropress.
Thanks for the reply, yeah I have been reading back a few more pages and starting to pick up bits and pieces. I do need to dive in and just start doing it really before I can truly see what I need/want to do.

Soldato
Thanks for the reply, yeah I have been reading back a few more pages and starting to pick up bits and pieces. I do need to dive in and just start doing it really before I can truly see what I need/want to do.
Definitely, get stuck in. So much of coffee is about slowly refining what you can do and what you like. It does sound ***** but it's a journey. I didn't really develop the palate to appreciate differences between coffee, or even good Vs average coffee, until well after I'd started experimenting with making coffee at home.

Soldato
(rocky) grinder seemed to be delivering coffee a bit slower, so, undid the burr carrier last night and cleaned oily coffee residue from the pathways,
I usually use a piece of wood to scrape any residue from metal/alloy/brass pathways, and soapy water for plastic parts...
anyway noted some burr blades, caught the light, probably indicating some blunting, and an unusual angle at the blade tips, nothing excessive,
afaik I've not ground any stones, so I was surprised, should I replace ?

A picture probably wouldn't have captured it, and was too eager to get it back together for the days coffee.

Back
Top Bottom