Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Soldato
noted you can still pick up refurbed BE's for £330 at XS items, 1 yr warranty. (not sure if its model with non-pressurized baskets)

Associate
I'm actually looking for an upgrade at the moment. I have an ESAM2800 B2C and have been watching too much of the Hoff and reading too many pages on here...! I'm currently getting 18g in, 40g out at about 15 seconds on the finest grind setting and am fully aware I can't expect any more from the machine.

My budget is £200-£350.
A classic and MC2 the only real option? I really like the look of the BE and is probably my preference.
How much of a difference is there between a classic setup and the BE?

I use it for espresso, Americano and the odd flat white.

FYI I'm using a range of beans from Wogans.

Last edited:
Soldato
Are cheap hand grinders worth buying or would buying pre ground from the roasters be better?

I use my aeropress at work, at home have a B2C machine so normally only buy beans. Would be nice to take beans and grind as necessary.

Soldato
Are cheap hand grinders worth buying or would buying pre ground from the roasters be better?

I use my aeropress at work, at home have a B2C machine so normally only buy beans. Would be nice to take beans and grind as necessary.
Define cheap? The two popular Hario models are great IMO, at around £25-30.

Soldato
yeah id class those as cheap, under £30 really. i know others might class £100 as cheap though.
I really enjoy the Hario Mini Mill and it looks like prices haven't gone mad since covid. I did a couple of simple mods to make mine more consistent (just tape around some parts to fit tighter). It's a really handy size and style, and versatile. Highly recommend it :)

Soldato
I really enjoy the Hario Mini Mill and it looks like prices haven't gone mad since covid. I did a couple of simple mods to make mine more consistent (just tape around some parts to fit tighter). It's a really handy size and style, and versatile. Highly recommend it :)
Cool cheers. Will take a look at it.

Underboss
Can anyone recommend a good sample pack for beans? I've got a french press but not found a bean I would like to stick with yet and fancy a bit if variety, I was thinking a sample pack would be a good idea but there seem to be many of options, is there a best?

Soldato
Can anyone recommend a good sample pack for beans? I've got a french press but not found a bean I would like to stick with yet and fancy a bit if variety, I was thinking a sample pack would be a good idea but there seem to be many of options, is there a best?
Do you have a local roasters? Always worth firing them an email or paying a visit. They might be able to hook you up with some samples.
I’ve not seen any in my travels but tend to stick with a 250gr bag as it doesn’t last all that long anyways.

On the subject of recommendations, has anyone got a travel mug they’d recommend?

Soldato

I used to use a Hario Skerton in work to grind my beans but if I wanted more than one cup a day it took ages and was a bit of a faff. Last year I thought I'd treat myself and got an Iberital for the office. It's not quite as good as my Mignon at home but it's so much less hassle than the hand grinder!

Back
Top Bottom