Siliconslave's how to make espresso thread

Caporegime
the weber EG-1 was the expensive niche before the niche existed ;) - theres defiantly a part of me thats very temped for £1160, if it weren't for the crazy tax bill i just had :(

My accountant told me actually i don't own the tax I thought i had to pay this July...I could use the money i put aside for it but i think it would be best upgrading the Gaggia instead.

Soldato
you haven't been writing off your coffee + machine expenses as WFH expenses.
... I'd have a konig k30, design and functionality
I don't need grinding speed at home, though, so, other things being equal, would take a £500 grinder that takes twice as long as a £1K.

OPV valve adjustment - you've bought a pf pressure guage - or, inbuilt one with a blind basket ? (still not managed to get the spout off, myself)

Soldato
haven't gone back to porcelain ... was going to post yesterday they were just £5/pair ... and may soon return

re-educated, & now paying more attention to hx cooling shot, the pause in flow I sometimes get after ~60ml, is steam in the hx tube, so its real hot

took the plunge on some glasses - melitta 80ml's double wall, amazon, after price drop

51147996886_c6f575ea76_o_d.jpg

Soldato
Does any one use a metal filter for their aeropress? Amazon is full of them from £20 to a fiver. Any recommendations?
I tried but found pretty much what people say: it lets more oils through but also more very fine grounds. I think with aeropress I'm aiming for a "cleaner" cup so didn't stick with it very long.

I actually got a twin pack with the finer perforated metal, and the mesh filter. Happy to dig out the brand if you like, I probably aimed cheap-ish.

Caporegime
So I have 2 Tampers.

1 - is a Hasbean branded one, 58mm and it's convex
2 - is a Motta branded one, it's a "competition" tamper which is 58.4mm and it's flat.

The Motta is a perfect fit for my Gaggia Classic and VTS basket, however I have noticed a slight problem with the Motta and it is partly to do with the Niche dosing cup. The Dosing up fits inside the basket and when you pull it out, there is a ring or a gap all the way round the edges. I can knock it side to side to level it but when I feel that no 360 degree is fully filled with the grind and i think there is always a channel around the edges.

With the less well fitted but convex 50mm tamper, the curve pushes the grind evenly outwards ever so slightly which makes a better seal.

Has anyone noticed this?

Man of Honour
OP
I've not got a convex tamper, but recently got a dosing cup and know what you mean about the gap ring - my solution is to knock it down a couple of times onto a cloth on the counter to re-distribute the grounds in the PF - seems to work ok & I don't think i'm getting any channeling round the sides.

Caporegime
I've not got a convex tamper, but recently got a dosing cup and know what you mean about the gap ring - my solution is to knock it down a couple of times onto a cloth on the counter to re-distribute the grounds in the PF - seems to work ok & I don't think i'm getting any channeling round the sides.

It's kinda difficult knocking from the bottom with a single sprout portafilter though lol

Associate
bottomless ftw - although can't you tap the leading edge on the side of your counter?

I never felt I had a major issue with edges, but I do agree it much easier levelling a bottomless one though.

I got given a cheap knock off levelling/distribution tool and despite being sceptical I’m actually a convert and it is more consistent

Associate

i really like the look of this. if i had the spare cash i would back it. but for now i'll wait for the reviews

The Crem One machines look really good, I nearly went for the dual boiler machine but the supplier basically said they couldn't recommend as there isn't enough in circulation to gauge reliability etc. Not that there was anything wrong he just wasn't prepared to go out and recommend one.

i noticed that Bella have stopped doing it as well. which kinda makes me worried about buying off them. as they seem to get in what reads like a good machine for around a year. and next thing they drop it. were does that leave you in terms of support

Last edited:
Caporegime
WTD tool - easy enough to make one with pins and a cork to try it out, although apparently acupuncture needles are better as they can be smaller...

I don't drink don't have any cork, I get a feeling it will cost the same making a DIY one vs buying one with wood and stainless steel properly made for £8 isn't worth it.

Soldato
That Weber grinder just looks like a vertical version of their existing one?

I could never bring myself to spend that much on a grinder. I'd rather drop the money on some burrs and a motor and use my mate's workship to build one for a fraction of the price :D

Back
Top Bottom