Silly question...will my 1080p content look ok on a 4k tv powered by PC?

UEX

UEX

Associate
Feel like a grandpa asking this, but ive only ever been on 1080p, never even plugged a PC into a 4k display. so ive always streamed my media at native res. Now im going 4k later this week ive started looking at upscaling technology and the more i look the less i understand my own circumstance.

I will have a decent PC powering the TV itll either have a 1080ti or a 1660 super in it. What im wondering is when i play 1080p content on the TV, @ 4k desktop resolution will my PC be doing upscaling or will it be stretching it? Everywhere i look i see "get nvidia shield" or "buy a tv with a good upscaler" and im thinking "well surely my many hundred pound graphics card should handle this." Am i right?

Cheers

Soldato
In my limited experience a decent 1080p movie will not need upscaling, it'll look just fine on most 4k TV's...for example a 1080p bluray will look better than most 4k streams (Netflix ect). If it's just for TV and movies there is no need for a "beefy" graphics card...if you plan on gaming that's a different story..

Soldato
It will need upscaling or it will only take up 1/4 of the screen lol. Either let the tv do it or manage it before the tv

You our of course correct, I just keeping it simple (as I'm no expert!). To be clear I meant you'll not need to do anything either the TV will do the work - if you plug in Sky or virgin 1080p feed, the picture will fill the screen without any fuss, or if you do plug the PC into the TV, the 1080Ti or above will set up in native 4k. I have a 1080GTX powering a B9OLED, I think I set up HDR (within Windows 10), but the 4k just worked.

Back
Top Bottom