Sim racers - what are you running?

Soldato
I came from Logitech pedals but found the v3's a massive upgrade so I'd be interesting to know if the sprints are another step up.

Hope you enjoy your P1x too. I don't know what you're coming from but a proper rig with no flex is lovely.

Soldato
I own Sprints and have tried V3's on numerous occasions. Now granted I have my brake pedal on the sprints tuned to my specific liking. Howeve, I have never really liked the feel of the V3's. I feel the pedal arms are too short, and the brake feels wooden and overdamped with the damper kit. I just have never got on with the feel of them.
Dont get me wrong, I'm sure the V3's would be great if I tuned them to my liking, but I feel I'd just be trying to make them feel like Sprints.

Associate
I've recently gone from tp3a pros with a richmotech load cell mod to sprints and for me they are a massive step up.
I'm still trying to dial them in to exactly how I like them. I think that's the thing that really makes them shine, the adjustability along with the quality is top notch.

Soldato
My daughter had bought two wheel sets for her xbox and got fed up with them braking so with her savings she's bought a fanatic set you can see the quality of the build right out the box I should hope so it cost her over £800 for a wheel Base and pedals.

Associate
My daughter had bought two wheel sets for her xbox and got fed up with them braking so with her savings she's bought a fanatic set you can see the quality of the build right out the box I should hope so it cost her over £800 for a wheel Base and pedals.

What model was it?

I want to get into it but won’t pay £800 for now, ideally £500 tops. Any recommendations on that budget? Fed up of waiting for t300 rs gt stock..

Associate

What model was it?

I want to get into it but won’t pay £800 for now, ideally £500 tops. Any recommendations on that budget? Fed up of waiting for t300 rs gt stock..

Associate

What model was it?

I want to get into it but won’t pay £800 for now, ideally £500 tops. Any recommendations on that budget? Fed up of waiting for t300 rs gt stock.

Associate
Im looking at getting back into sim racing and had a few questions on rig/displays to use.

1) I live in a top floor flat, has anyone had issues with noise/vibrations etc, i'll be setting it up in a carpeted room and i plan on getting the NLR f1-GT rig with the fanatec CSL elite wheel (will be upgrading to a LC at some point but not right away), would you recommend getting another mat.

2) For display i plan on playing ps4(mostly gt sport) and pc games(mostly iracing and possibly some rally games and ACC, been out of it for awhile so any recommendations for sims would also be welcome)so is going ultra wide worth it or better off with a tv/bigger monitor

3) I will be building a new pc at some point in the near future also, if i was to go ultra wide(1440p) what kind of GPU should i be looking at for iracing, just to run well, won't be too bothered about max settings.

rjk

rjk

Caporegime
You won't really have any noise issues unless you include tactile feedback elements. Bass shakers make a bit of noise. Your wheelbase and pedals should be fairly quiet.

Ultra wide monitor over a TV all day long but check it will work with consoles as I don't think that consoles support UW resolution. (I could be well off the mark here)

1440p UW resolution will need something fairly substantial to play most racing games at good frame rates. I wouldn't even entertain something lesser spec than a 2070S if ACC is on your to do list. Iracing won't need anything as crazy but your mileage may vary. Doesn't seem worth buying a 1440 UW panel then running it off a GPU not good enough to get the most out of it.

Soldato
I'm really starting to get into sim racing at the moment, but I'm finding the lack of granularity on the controller annoying. Are belt driven wheels that much better than gears? Initially I was looking at the Logitech G29, but I saw a lot of recommendations for the Thrustmaster T300RS GT. Is it worth the price jump?

Soldato
Some of the pros attributed to belt driven wheels is simply because they're a better (and more expensive) wheel. For example, most (if not all) belt driven wheels have a higher peak torque than gear drive wheels - higher peak torque is a good thing but this is down to the manufacturers choice of gear/pulley ratio and motor(s) to use rather than being specifically attributable to a belt is better. With that said, gear driven wheels and belt driven wheels work on the same principle of a small motor with a small gear or pulley driving a larger gear or pullet attached to the wheel. This means they suffer most of the same cons; lower FFB torque, slower rotational speeds and some tiny torque inconsistencies due to gear lash and belt tension when FFB oscillates. As said though, these cons apply to both though so can't really judge which is better on these. There is one advantage belt wheels have; smoothness and as a consequence, noise. Because of gear lash (the small gaps between the gear teeth) when the FFB engages and closes this gap there can be quite a clunk noise and over something like a kerb that causes oscillation of the FFB it causes a rattle. As a belt pulley is designed differently, there isn't the requirement for this lash and so are quieter in their operation.

With respect to your specific question, objectively the T300RS GT is a better wheel; as above it's belt driven so will be quieter (though the fan on the TM still makes some noise), a quick google shows the peak torque being almost twice that of the G29 (3.9Nm v 2.1Nm), the T300 is 1080 vs G29's 900 degree rotation, there's more customisation options with the TM as you can change wheels rims if you want as well as being able to expand the TM to include a h pattern shifter (which is far superior to the Logitech offering) and a handbrake/sequential shifter if you want one too. Finally, the t3pa pedals are better than the Logitech offering too - this is arguably subjective rather than objective but it's hard to find someone that says otherwise so I'm counting this as objective too.

How much you 'value' you attribute to all of that is your personal opinion and somewhat governed by what you like to race. In my opinion though, the price difference isn't insignificant but it is worth it.

TL;DR - Is it worth the price jump? IMO, yes.

Soldato
Some of the pros attributed to belt driven wheels is simply because they're a better (and more expensive) wheel. For example, most (if not all) belt driven wheels have a higher peak torque than gear drive wheels - higher peak torque is a good thing but this is down to the manufacturers choice of gear/pulley ratio and motor(s) to use rather than being specifically attributable to a belt is better. With that said, gear driven wheels and belt driven wheels work on the same principle of a small motor with a small gear or pulley driving a larger gear or pullet attached to the wheel. This means they suffer most of the same cons; lower FFB torque, slower rotational speeds and some tiny torque inconsistencies due to gear lash and belt tension when FFB oscillates. As said though, these cons apply to both though so can't really judge which is better on these. There is one advantage belt wheels have; smoothness and as a consequence, noise. Because of gear lash (the small gaps between the gear teeth) when the FFB engages and closes this gap there can be quite a clunk noise and over something like a kerb that causes oscillation of the FFB it causes a rattle. As a belt pulley is designed differently, there isn't the requirement for this lash and so are quieter in their operation.

With respect to your specific question, objectively the T300RS GT is a better wheel; as above it's belt driven so will be quieter (though the fan on the TM still makes some noise), a quick google shows the peak torque being almost twice that of the G29 (3.9Nm v 2.1Nm), the T300 is 1080 vs G29's 900 degree rotation, there's more customisation options with the TM as you can change wheels rims if you want as well as being able to expand the TM to include a h pattern shifter (which is far superior to the Logitech offering) and a handbrake/sequential shifter if you want one too. Finally, the t3pa pedals are better than the Logitech offering too - this is arguably subjective rather than objective but it's hard to find someone that says otherwise so I'm counting this as objective too.

How much you 'value' you attribute to all of that is your personal opinion and somewhat governed by what you like to race. In my opinion though, the price difference isn't insignificant but it is worth it.

Thanks for your insight, I appreciate it.

Soldato

To expand on this - I went from a G25 (gear 2nm) to a Fanatec CSR wheel (belt 2.5nm) and it was a massive jump for me in feeling. Howver I've recently had a CSL elite wheel (belt 6nm) and that feels incredible compared to the others.

Soldato
I'm really starting to get into sim racing at the moment, but I'm finding the lack of granularity on the controller annoying. Are belt driven wheels that much better than gears? Initially I was looking at the Logitech G29, but I saw a lot of recommendations for the Thrustmaster T300RS GT. Is it worth the price jump?

I went from a G27 to a TX and then bought its brother T300 so could play PS4 titles (same base different DRM chip). I like that at this price range you can use different rims of which I even made a couple of my own since the quick release system is easy to print off and you can use an Arduino to mimic the wheels buttons so it all works PnP with the correct mappings. One is a Nissan GTR LM syle and the other just a 330mm eBay special with my own button box.

Soldato
Thank you both. Yeah, I did like the interchangeable wheel idea. If I go the Thrustmaster route, I may well get an open wheel as I'm really enjoying F1 sims, the extra buttons would be good as I turn off more assists.

Soldato
I've got a TM TX and it's pretty good, quite a step up from the G25 I used before. The interchangeable wheels are nice, it's just a pity that the encoders on the F1 wheel are just for show :(

I'm trying to psyche myself up to get a DD wheel in a year or so

Associate
I've just bagged a 5 month old T300 RS set on FB Marketplace for £180 and its blown me away to be honest.

Came from a G29 which was ok but noisy as hell, those gear cogs make a hell of a racket and feel clunky to drive. Sold it and got a TMX which was ok, a bit weak in the feedback but none the less still a decent entry level wheel.

The T300 on the other hand is like night and day, its completely changed my approach and reinvigorated my love for sim racing. To step away from the usual Project Cars and Dirt Rally i decided to dip in for a month's IRacing sub, i really didn't want to like it due to the monthly subscription basis but I'm hooked, I am feeling every bump, kerb and the immersion with the T300 is amazing.

Soldato
I've just bagged a 5 month old T300 RS set on FB Marketplace for £180 and its blown me away to be honest.

Came from a G29 which was ok but noisy as hell, those gear cogs make a hell of a racket and feel clunky to drive. Sold it and got a TMX which was ok, a bit weak in the feedback but none the less still a decent entry level wheel.

The T300 on the other hand is like night and day, its completely changed my approach and reinvigorated my love for sim racing. To step away from the usual Project Cars and Dirt Rally i decided to dip in for a month's IRacing sub, i really didn't want to like it due to the monthly subscription basis but I'm hooked, I am feeling every bump, kerb and the immersion with the T300 is amazing.

OH man...
I feel sorry for you already lol..
The next step for you is a full rig if you dont have one, then a direct drive wheel! Then a divorce :)

Iracing can be the best thing ever, or the absolute worst! I would recommend getting our of rookies as fast as possible! Just get your D licence and progress to Skippys but be prepared to spend money for some tracks. Practice practice practice!! Try and "race" with others during practice so you get the feel of being close to others. Make sure your spotter is turned on and your F3 black box is always showing.
Even better install Crew Chief and the spotter there will take care of that, also updates you on track and car cionditions.

If you want to feel better feedback through your wheel, try ACC. The feedback from iracing isn't that good to be honest, there is irffb which takes the iracing telemetry and upscales it to 360Hz instead of 60 that iracing produces and gives you more feedback.

Good luck man.

Associate
OH man...
I feel sorry for you already lol..
The next step for you is a full rig if you dont have one, then a direct drive wheel! Then a divorce :)

Haha, are you speaking from experience?? My Mrs just rolls her eyes at everything i buy these days so I'm used to it.

I have a feeling iRacing is going to be a go to for a while whilst i get used to it all, its completely different from anything ive played, and am already looking at DD set ups, whilst she's not looking....obviously!!

I have most, if not all the current sims and am still in the early stages of testing with the T300 so will go back to ACC for another blast.

Soldato
What are you driving in iracing?
There is nothing else that matches the online experience and the heart pounding moment when you win a race.. I'm jealous that you still have top experience that!

Haha.. There is no need to spend thousands on a DD setup, I use sim-plicity DD wheel, 10Nm strength. More than does the job, you can pre-order them for a fair bit cheaper than next day price.
https://sim-pli.city/

The one thing you need is crew chief, not only spotter, but does fuelling, tyres etc etc.. Great little app..
Any advice needed, feel free to ask away.

Back
Top Bottom