Single Speaker Amplifier

Associate
Hi there,

This might be a strange request but I'm looking for an amplifier for a single speaker.

We have a radio at work which we have connected an extra speaker too. This has been done quiet crudely by splicing in an extra speaker with 20m of speaker cable.

The problem we now have is the 3rd speaker is considerably quieter (as expected) than the other two.

Is there some form of amplifier which can be placed in-front of the additional speaker to give it an individual volume control and amplify the sound? I'm not looking to swap the stereo for anything fancy or mess around with expensive solutions, I was just curious to see if there's a cheap and cheerful answer.

Thanks,

Ant

Soldato
Because stereo amplifiers are common they are probably still your cheapest option here, by getting a second hand one from the bay or similar. Unless you fancy a DIY project build!

Either way, the amplifier will be taking in a high level speaker output and you might find that even with the volume wound way down that the output is clipped/distorted. It depends if it has passive input switching and volume control or if it's active, active will be more likely to clip. Not something you could easily find out except that if the amplifier has an LCD readout for volume it is most likely active.

Back
Top Bottom