1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single ultra wide versus 3 monitor surround question?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by ToTheMax, 28 Apr 2019.

1. ToTheMax

Hitman

Couple of years ago I had a triple 27" setup and loved the extra screen real estate and the odd game that supported it was amazing. Desktop multi tasking was second to none. Upgraded to a single 40" monitor and also loved it but the back light died just now and it's out of warranty so now upgrade time again.

All of the above was at a lowly 60hz, and everyone raves about high refresh rate nowadays. I was considering maybe a single ultra wide like the LG 34GK950F but have concerns with desktop multi tasking on only one screen, gaming will probably be amazing though.

However for less money I could get say 3 AOC CQ32G1's with Nvidia now supporting freesync, have both high refresh rate gaming, great multi tasking, and the occasional surround game using Nvidia surround. Desk space isn't an issue.

Am I mad to consider surround setup again given the above? What's the current state of multi monitor support in gaming?

2. pp111

Hitman

The market certainly seems to be going towards larger and larger single monitors, although I still prefer a second monitor so I can keep an eye on other things while gaming.
    The one thing you have to consider though is what graphics card do you have and what games do you play? I have a monitor similar to the one you are looking at, and it's a great monitor, but it also takes a lot of graphics card to drive it. Although say a 1070 will drive a monitor like that, it will be at reduced game settings. To drive it confidently with all the modern titles you need a 2080ti. This may well massively increase the cost for you.

3. ToTheMax

Hitman

Yeah this is also my concern, multi monitor gaming when I had it was really niche and it seems to be even more so nowadays. Maybe I'm remembering tri monitor setup with rose tinted glasses and I should go a single hi res display.

4. dessimpson

Wise Guy

I've got an 35" g-sync ultrawide and a 27" 1440p second screen.
    The second screen is used mainly for skype, gpu-z, afterburner etc. but I wouldn't be without it.

5. Bugbait

Gangster

I had a 31" 4k screen as my main and a 25" 1440p as a secondary to the side. Switched the 4k for a 34" UW 1440p due to Citrix scaling problems with remote client access though. Both worked well and I much prefer a large single, main screen for the seamless extra screen area.