Sit-stand desks... anyone own one?

Soldato
im thinking of buying a Herman Miller Ratio but the Ikea one for the price is tempting. Does anyone own one? Do they come recommended?

I can't comment on that particular model but I own a sit-stand desk and highly recommend them. When you first get one you'll probably do about an hour at a time and then lower it. And it takes a couple of weeks before you mentally adapt.

But once you do, it really improves your productivity and you'll seen feel like you want to stand to work. It also makes a good mental separation between work and just idle browsing. Really can't recommend it highly enough. Just make sure you get a large-ish one so that you don't end up having a second, non-standing desk next to it for papers / overspill because that's a productivity breaker. You should be able to have everything you need on the one, raisable desk.

Caporegime
Don't own one, have used them. They're very good.

I'd say you have nothing to lose by trying out an Ikea one since it's a ton cheaper than a Herman Miller, and if it's just for a home office you won't really benefit from the improved build quality. They have a decent returns policy as well. The Bekant range is light years ahead of the bland office furniture from the big office supply warehouses.

Soldato
Is this the one you're looking at?

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/...ks/skarsta-desk-sit-stand-white-spr-49084965/

Mine is a different make and has a wood effect top, but is otherwise similar. Just make certain that it's tall enough for you ergonomically and if it is, go for it. You don't need an electric motor in the desk. It takes me just a minute to raise or lower mine and I'm pretty small. Gears - they're ace! ;) :)

Caporegime
I use one at work when i have to do paperwork.
If its in the Stand position ill use it standing up but if its down ill sit.
Ergonomic BS.
If you sit in a deskchair for 8h a day then get one but i dont so its just annoying.

Soldato
Yeah. I rate them quite highly. Not sure I believe any health benefits mind...

You move around a lot more with a standing desk. You step forwards and backwards and side to side. It's not just standing to attention for eight hours. And the human body really isn't evolved for eight hours of sitting in a chair. I don't believe that can be good for you. One could say the human body isn't evolved for being on its feet for eight hours either but in fact, it is. We're evolved for long treks and distance running. We're actually better at it than most animals. Plus you don't HAVE to stand for eight hours. If you want to do a couple and then sit for the rest of the day, you can.

Though what I've found is that I feel more alert and engaged in my work if I'm standing and after a few weeks I was standing for around five hours of the day. It likely would have been more but for meetings.

Agile stand ups? It's no disincentive to me. ;)

Man of Honour
They are a really good desk. I use one often as my London office is full of them and they are really good desks I would recommend. I have contemplated getting one at home and I probably will in due course by about to have my home office refitted out shortly so going to wait for that to be done first.

Soldato
I'be got the IKEA electric sit/stand corner desk.

Considering how much cheaper it is compared to the Herman Miller, it is good value. However, it's not perfect. When standing it's not completely stable and I've had to send the control box back for replacement twice and the legs once…

Other than that, it's been great.

Back
Top Bottom