sk3lph's brand new Media/Cinema room

Associate
OP
Well I've had the chance to have a play with the room and it is indeed awesome. I need to get the installers back, mainly to sort a few issues with the blind and programming the remote for the new Blu-Ray player I bought on Friday as the PS3 I have is too old to supply Dolby Atmos. So I'll take some more pictures once it's all programmed in and fully working and I'll stick on a walkthrough video to finish the thread off.

Thanks again for all the positive vibes in the comments, glad the star lighting seems to of been a good choice.

Just need to paint the door now. :D

Looks epic. When are we all visiting?

The spot light is directly above the door which makes it look white in the picture, it's actually grey, the same colour as the coffer and woodwork.

If I knew you guys personally I'd be more than happy to give you a demo.

Sorry if I missed it somewhere but what are those chairs? They look amazingly comfortable!

The front seats are from the Drinkstuff website and the rear ones are actually found on the Bay at an amazingly good price, there is enough room to recline on those but they dont have the gizmos the front ones have. Not sure I can do links for those here but I'll pm links if you can't find them.

Associate
OP
Some final pictures unless someone wants to see something specific.

Room is finished and some final fixes were done a couple of days ago where the blind was tweaked and the front right speaker internal wiring was fixed. I'm still playing with the speaker settings but it's already looking and sounding fantastic.

pmpHf6U.jpg

pJ1y3yb.jpg

pPN77wO.jpg

b0EHFiI.jpg

Here is a video of the blind running - absolutely no light gets through this whatsoever.

If I get a better camera I'll upload some better pictures. Thank you all to the advice and words of ecouragement, really appreciate it.

I'm off now to watch a few films :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Looks great, where did you get your blinds from? I want a couple of pairs of powered ones for mine.

The AV installer I used sorted it out with a separate company - if you are keen to find out then I'll try and get the details.

Looks fantastic. What are the dimensions of the room. I have a few rooms where I could do something similar.

Room is about 5.5m by 4.8m.

Associate
Further to my post here last year -

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18608189

Construction has now started this week on the extension to the house which will become the new computer room and the new media/cinema room.

I'm doing this in two phases with the first phase being to have the computer room completely finished with a HVAC system installed and provision for a HVAC system to be installed for the media room. Phase 1 will mean the media room will be a shell with no ceiling or plasterboard on the walls together with a temporary floor to allow full access as the room develops during phase 2 when funds allow. My approach will be working through it step by step, assessing the cost and implementing each stage appropriately.

I'll be looking to post pictures on here and also discuss each stage of the build once phase 2 kicks off.

I had a long chat with Lucid on the phone a few months back and I think I'm taking the right approach so far, would like Lucid to be involved but it's perhaps a little too early as Phase 2 hasn't started yet.

Looking forward to having something further interesting to report :D

interesting to see how it develops... a "plan" never had this with my home cinema setup :D

Caporegime
Absolutely brilliant.

As the kids like to say, "well jell"

I would paint that door to match the walls though. Would look better IMO.

A really awesome disc to watch for the atmos soundtrack would be the blu Ray of In the heart of the sea. Films not that great but the soundtrack is immense. The creaks of the ship and the thunderous audio when the whale attacks is just superb. I would deffo give that a run out on the system.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Absolutely brilliant.

As the kids like to say, "well jell"

I would paint that door to match the walls though. Would look better IMO.

A really awesome disc to watch for the atmos soundtrack would be the blu Ray of In the heart of the sea. Films not that great but the soundtrack is immense. The creaks of the ship and the thunderous audio when the whale attacks is just superb. I would deffo give that a run out on the system.

I'll look into that, watched John Wick last night which has a great Atmos soundtrack and will give the Gravity SE a full viewing next. I'll be snapping up as many Atmos discs as I can within reason to try on my system.

Really disappointed the Atmos soundtrack on the Deadpool UHD disc didn't also find it's way onto the regular Blu-Ray - can't understand that.

WRT the door, the photos make it appear white when in fact it's medium grey, so I don't really notice it - but may change it in the future.

Soldato
Fantastic job and very well done. Sometimes the journey is just as exciting as the end.
I found myself, not actually watching movies (to start with) but watching parts and clips from all my fav movies. Batman Dark Knight for instance, Saving Private Ryan (beach landing) all those epic movie scenes.

Up next, you definitely need to build a HTPC with media center and have all your movies at a touch of a button. It also makes it look really impressive. Something easy like Plex I'd recommend.

Associate
Really disappointed the Atmos soundtrack on the Deadpool UHD disc didn't also find it's way onto the regular Blu-Ray - can't understand that.

As far as I know, Dolby Atmos has been scrapped from normal Bluray so that it can be used to entice enthuisiasts over to UHD. It's nothing to do with Bluray not being able to handle it. Annoying.

Anyway, amazing thread, the room looks great. I've got a small home theatre room pencilled in when I extend my house in a few years. I've literally just moved in to an old property that's a bit run down, so my money needs to go elsewhere at the moment :)

Soldato
Epic. I agree with door. I believe it'd look better if it matched the wall colour and definitely get something like Plex up and running. I like you sit in my HT (basic compared to yours) and flick through film and TV shows just to get the "best" bits and hear the epic sound. One tip I found was with sub woofers, if you can place it or them right next to your main seat it has a surprising meaty bass effect (vibrates through the seat itself)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Had a fair bit of time with the room now and ran the calibration routine again and it has made a big difference, the sound the system makes now is absolutely fantastic.

I'm finding music is great through it as well, I'm quite partial to putting the star lighting on, reclining on the middle chair to some music - very relaxing.

Just to catch up on some questions I missed.

Amazing :)

Whats the total ball park cost?

The whole project has been 10's of thousands, if you are meaning the room itself with all the electrics, audio, furniture etc, it's been about £30k.

Looks awesome. :)

Did you not fancy a double recliner somewhere, so you and the missus can snuggle up? :o

I did think about this a lot and the audiophile in me won out and I really wanted a double arm chair smack in the middle of the room, with the 3 seats for front and 3 for the back it had to be a single seat in the middle with tables either side for drinks and snacks :cool:

Fantastic job and very well done. Sometimes the journey is just as exciting as the end.
I found myself, not actually watching movies (to start with) but watching parts and clips from all my fav movies. Batman Dark Knight for instance, Saving Private Ryan (beach landing) all those epic movie scenes.

Up next, you definitely need to build a HTPC with media center and have all your movies at a touch of a button. It also makes it look really impressive. Something easy like Plex I'd recommend.

It has been a long journey and can't quite believe it's finished.

Yes, a media PC would be good in the future, although if the new Xbone is decent I may settle for that. There are lots of movie scenes that I never get tired of watching, both the films you mention I've run through as well as loads others.

Epic. I agree with door. I believe it'd look better if it matched the wall colour and definitely get something like Plex up and running. I like you sit in my HT (basic compared to yours) and flick through film and TV shows just to get the "best" bits and hear the epic sound. One tip I found was with sub woofers, if you can place it or them right next to your main seat it has a surprising meaty bass effect (vibrates through the seat itself)

Lot of comments about the door, which you don't really notice as it's on the back wall, if it was next to the screen it would definately be black. To be honest I'll be giving the decor a rethink as matt paint seems to show every blemish, so I'll be tweaking things a bit in the future.

Anyway, thanks again for all the kind words, feel free to post any more questions and I'll do my best to answer.

Back
Top Bottom