Skipping

Soldato
Yeh it should definitely hit the ground.....I'm still a newbie, but every video I've seen people do it, it hits. That's why I said before about the noise, it's a constant slap slap slap

I started with a short rope, and I found I was tripping up on it a lot more, and also I couldn't do any footwork (moving feet about between swings), as the rope was very short. I think most guides say the rope (excluding handles) should be about nipple height.
Your feet should only come a couple of inches max off the ground too.

I've followed the guides online about measuring, have the handles at nipple height, I think i'm jumping too high. Could be why i'm getting the shin pain as well, too much shock as i land.

Caporegime
@Participant did you get much shin pain when starting out, been skipping most days but yesterday had to stop a few minutes in as the shin pain was horrid.

I'm using quite cushioned trainers on top of my wifes old yoga mat as suggested if you only have a concrete base to skip on.

I guess I just need to knock it on the head for a day or two, legs just probably aren't used to the 'shock' :)

Not personally no, only aching calves and the occasional sore knee :).

Caporegime
I prefer a heavier rope and yeah it's absolutely good for cardio, it gets your heart rate up to a decent level and going 60,70,80+ without stopping gets you breathing.

I'm currently trying to learn to alternate my feet (think how boxers skip) and I find it difficult doing anything without both feet together.

Like this

Soldato
Can't shift the shin pain, even a few weeks in, tried different surfaces, tried taking 2/3 day breaks, literally within 20/30 seconds on skipping, my shins are killing me. :(

Soldato
Try a ‘swampbox’ if you have shin splints, sinking plyo. Or swimming

https://gymequipment.co.uk/the-swamp-box-plyo-box

Checked the link, read up, seems good, then I saw the price, eek! £700 is a little too rich for me.

Oddly, yesterday I had no pain for the first time when I skipped, I did have a solid 5 day break though, maybe I just wasn't resting enough.

When you say swimming, do you just mean as an alternative to skipping or is this something that somehow aids with shin splints with other activities?

Soldato
Checked the link, read up, seems good, then I saw the price, eek! £700 is a little too rich for me.

Oddly, yesterday I had no pain for the first time when I skipped, I did have a solid 5 day break though, maybe I just wasn't resting enough.

When you say swimming, do you just mean as an alternative to skipping or is this something that somehow aids with shin splints with other activities?
Yeh, they're usually in gyms / places that do crossfit and the like with big tyres, ropes to swing up and down and TRX rigs. I wouldnt buy one either
Swimming, just because its low impact and expect somethig like lengths of leg kick with arms on a float would do them good (or at least not injure them more)

Last edited:
Caporegime
Hi fellow skippers, posting some videos of where I've got to with my skipping progress from today on holiday.

I really like this activity as a versatile form of intense cardio and coordination development. Granted I'm still more middle aged dad bod than middleweight boxer, but the progression from where I started, whilst slow, has been extremely satisfying and for my broken leg no other workout has given me the same results.

I brought with me the 0.25 and 0.5 lb crossropes (0.5lb used in these vids), as well as a cheap copy of the rush athletics speed rope.

I'm now focusing on double unders and double under crossovers, as they're a solid challenge.

Caporegime
Damn! I'm so impressed with that... I think I need to try and learn. I can't do it at all. I'm useless! But always wanted to be able to do it... dammit. OK, I can do this. I need to teach myself how to do pull ups as well! Agh. Thanks @Participant it's great motivation!
No worries. Check out Jump Rope Dudes and Rush Athletics for some decent YouTube tutorials.

Doing it in front of a mirror, repetition, and concentrating on your wrist movements more than your legs (a good rope arc is really important) are key to learn quicker I found.

Back
Top Bottom