Skoda kamiq

Associate
Hi, has anyone got one of these?

My 14 year old auris is finally failing so it's time for a replacement.

I'm looking at the small SUV market for something reliable and cheap to run. Something to grow into as a family.

Think I've all unsettled on the kamiq over the Toyota chr.

Unsure about the engine choice, to me 1 litre 115ps seems to be small? Reviews are positive, I tend to drive between north Yorkshire and London every couple of months.

Any experience of 1 litre engines as a motorway cruiser (not constantly but potentially more often). I'm unsure about buying a diesel currently.

I'd be buying nearly new used (couple of thousand miles etc). Looking at a budget of say 20k

Any advise appreciated.

Soldato
Had a 1.5TSI Kamiq as a loan car for a few days whilst my Octavia was in for warranty work.

It was a fairly decent car and pleasantly surprised me but I was glad to get back into the Octavia.

It's nowhere near as big as the Octavia inside, but you'd expect that, it's more of a Fabia. For a family car I'd be wanting a Karoq sized car if it had to be an SUV style car.

Soldato
Are you a family at the minute or something you are looking to start?

Car seats, buggies and all the rest of the stuff that come with the babies require a lot of space.

If you are looking for a car that you can grow into I can reccomend something like the superb. Can get a decent spec one for around £17-£20k.

I have one, allowed us to grow from a 2 adult 1 child + dog family to 2 children and a caravan!

Great cars and difficult to reccomend anything else in similar budgets

Associate
OP
Looking to start. Happy with the current space in the Auris, although as mentioned might feel different with a buggy. Issue is the wife doesnt want to drive a large car, superb and possibly the octavia might be a little on the large size for her. May change once we start going to the dealers and checking out the cars.

Any experience with the 1 litre engines these use (the 115ps)? the more reviews i read/watch they seem to suggest they are happy motorway cruising, how do the handle hills? Lots up north yorkshire where i end up putting miles in.

Soldato
The Kamiq is a decent car but honestly go for the Karoq if you can.

I had the 1.5 dsg for a few years and it was great. Managed to fit a full size Silvercross buggy, without having to take it apart, in the boot and a still had loads of room left for shopping.

The little features it has with the seating, load cover etc are great too.

Ive driven the 1.0 litre engine but for me the 1.5 was a much better match to the car. Plenty of power and decent economy too.

Soldato
Something to grow into as a family.

A Kamiq isn't a car you grow into, it's small in the first place. In perspective it's got less boot space than what my Mustang had. :p

I'd go with the Karoq every time, you'll just end up changing the Kamiq when you actually have kids. Having to dismantle a buggy just to get it in the boot is a PITA. The Karoq is a brilliant car, not too big, easy to drive and extremely practical.

I've currently got the Kodiaq, my sister has the Karoq and in honesty I think the Karoq offers far better value if having 7 seats isn't a requirement.

Last edited:
Associate
I'd go with the Karoq every time, you'll just end up changing the Kamiq when you actually have kids. Having to dismantle a buggy just to get it in the boot is a PITA. The Karoq is a brilliant car, not to big, easy to drive and extremely practical.

Seconded on the Karoq, my Mrs has one, and it's a nice size, comfortable and as Abyss said, it's extremely practical, the storage especially. Plus, she only pays around 175 a month (1k upfront) on a 2 year lease!

Soldato
Hi, has anyone got one of these?

I'd be buying nearly new used (couple of thousand miles etc). Looking at a budget of say 20k

Any advise appreciated.

Also be careful you don't actually end up paying more than new. Nearly new low mileage cars from main dealers can often be more expensive than the discounts available brand new and often with better finance deals. As an example you can get a brand new Karoq for £20k
https://broadspeed.com/new_cars/Sko...Of_Doors/SUV/petrol/Choose_Engine_Size/manual

You'll also be able to use Skoda's current finance deal of 4.9%, although personally I'd just take a low interest bank loan if you can.

CarWow is worth a look, you can spec the car you want then main dealers bid for your business.
https://www.carwow.co.uk/

Associate
OP
Thanks for the advice. Will deffo take a look karoq. Looking at staying away from finance and dipping into savings.

Will deffo checkout what they can offer new etc

Soldato
Last edited:
Associate
So (as you'll see from another thread I have) I really like the Kamiq, and was very very close to buying one, and the 1 litre should be fine for pottering about, but the 1.5 TSI feels a lot more lively and if you're hitting a few twisty A roads or looking for something that can overtake a little easier might be a better call (thought it does hit the fuel economy quite a bit).

The space is quite limited, the boot isn't huge and if I had a family to lug around I'd definitely be looking at the Karoq. That said I think it matches the size (and probably little easier to access) of the Scala, but you'd be pushed to fit a lot of kid stuff in the back (I mean the boot was smaller than my Civic but obfs much more vertical space).

Overall if you're looking for a smart and capable little SUV it's excellent, but if you're looking for a family proof SUV then like others have said get a Karoq.

Associate
The Kamiq and the Seat Arona are the smaller ones and have had updates recently I think. The Karoq hasn't been done yet I think, but the equivalent Seat Ateca has just been updated. Some good finance deals on the Ateca at the moment I think also.

Ste

Ste

Soldato
The boot is tiny. Don't do it if you're thinking of kids.

Some of the larger pushchairs won't go in without taking the wheels off.

Octavia or karoq

Associate
Compared the Octavia and Karoq last week at a dealer. Prefer the cabin of the Karoq, higher position for faffing with kids seats etc. and the flexibility of the seating, however the Octavia has a bigger and more practicle boot floor space "as is".
Overall the Karoq edges it for us.

Soldato
My wife felt the Volvo XC60 we tried was too big annoyingly, so we settled on the seat Ateca. Had it over 2 years now and it has swallowed all our baby stuff and prams so far. No faults, no issues and has been totally reliable (touch wood). I enjoy driving it too because it’s the 2.0T petrol FR version

It will be put to the test when we have another child, but we should only ever need one pram, so I think it’ll be fine space wise for a bit. I certainly wouldn’t have wanted something smaller though.

Associate
OP
Hi,

We ended up buying a kamiq, looks big enough for us at the moment. Possibly look again if we need something bigger in the future.

Grabbed a 1.5 sel manual. Had a look at the karoq, looked a good size for me, wife not so sure. Actually found the seats/driving position more comfortable in the kamiq.

Back
Top Bottom