Skoda Kodiaq - a quick look - not impressed.

Soldato
I had a quick look at the new Skoda Kodiaq today. I didn't take it for a test drive, just had a good look at it in the showroom. For reference I currently have a Skoda Yeti.

I was not impressed with the salesman. He was clueless and completely unprepared. He didn't even bother to note my queries so he could find out the answers. I expect much more from a salesman of a main dealer.

With regards to the car itself, my eyeline is still too near the top of the windscreen. Getting into the thing isn't trivial: I'm 6'4" and even with the seat fully back and fully down I was still hitting my knee on the front dashboard as I got in. Once in though, I had headroom and legroom. Like the Yeti, there's no manual release for the boot, which is a real issue when you've flattened the battery and need to get the jump leads which, of course, are typically stored in the boot. (I now keep mine under one of the front seats.) The interior trim is tacky and cheap. It's pretty much the same stuff I had in my old Proton Persona 20 years ago. I expect better when spending over £30K. The centre console has one USB power port, concealed under a sliding shutter (a nice touch) to the fore of the gear stick; there should be four - one for the dashcam, one for the driver's phone, one for the front passenger's phone, and one for something else. On the positive side, the instrument panel is clearly visible through the steering wheel and looks to be very clear, clean, and comprehensive. The seats felt very comfortable. The boot is much larger than the Yeti's.

Overall, I was disappointed with the Kodiaq.

Soldato
I was there in the afternoon, around four. What did you think of the Kodiaq?

I only had a quick look whilst waiting for my Leon to get serviced but it seemed decent enough, although I agree on your thoughts re: the interior, too many glossy surfaces to look naff once it's covered in dust/fingerprints, and I didn't like the touch-sensitive buttons on the infotainment screen instead of the tactile ones; the new Octavia had those as well. A lot of it looked and felt quite familiar though seeing as they part-share a lot with SEAT.

Did you have a look at the SEAT Ateca as well?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Dude, you remind me of that lunatic who refused to buy used cars in the off chance some slapper used the gearknob of his Focus CC as a sex toy!

Like the Yeti, there's no manual release for the boot, which is a real issue when you've flattened the battery and need to get the jump leads which, of course, are typically stored in the boot. (I now keep mine under one of the front seats.)
Seriously, how often is this likely to happen on a new car, or indeed any car, as long as you keep the battery in good condition?? Anyway, there's always a manual over-ride hidden somewhere behind the boot trim, as with the fuel filler cap release.
The interior trim is tacky and cheap. It's pretty much the same stuff I had in my old Proton Persona 20 years ago. I expect better when spending over £30K.
Look how much car you're getting for your £30k. If they upped the quality, VAG would shoot themselves in the foot (which they almost did with the Superb). If you want a better dash, buy a Q5.
The centre console has one USB power port, concealed under a sliding shutter (a nice touch) to the fore of the gear stick; there should be four - one for the dashcam, one for the driver's phone, one for the front passenger's phone, and one for something else.
lolwut? Use a cigarette lighter adapter? Who needs 4 USB ports in a car?? Tell your passengers to buy a powerbank.

Overall, I was disappointed with the Kodiaq.
Dude, you need to up your budget or buy used. Not sure what you expect coming from a Yeti? It's still a Skoda. They're brilliant at what they do, but they HAVE to be worse than VW/Audi in some aspects.

Soldato
OP
Seriously, how often is this likely to happen on a new car, or indeed any car, as long as you keep the battery in good condition??

It's happened to me several times.

Anyway, there's always a manual over-ride hidden somewhere behind the boot trim

Yes, but getting to it is not easy.

Look how much car you're getting for your £30k.

Don't forget that I haven't actually driven it. This was only a visual inspection.

Who needs 4 USB ports in a car??

I just told you. How much extra would it have cost them to fit four ports? Not a lot.

Soldato
I can't think of any cars that have 4 USB ports. Do such vehicles exist? Seems a bizarre feature to be worried about missing on what is otherwise a lot of motor for the money.

Granted I haven't seen one yet, but might pop in for a look when I get back. Curious for the 2.0T they are apparently doing in these.

Soldato
I can't think of any cars that have 4 USB ports. Do such vehicles exist? Seems a bizarre feature to be worried about missing on what is otherwise a lot of motor for the money..
My focus ST only has 2 USB ports, which one of them is used all the time by a USB memory stick with my music on it

Soldato
My Merc has two USB ports. If you're complaining about USB ports, get something like this.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anker-Powe...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=3KHB11XP8GFWRE6HT89N

Who uses the cig lighter anymore?

I have three 12V charger points - one in the front, one in the back seats and one in the boot. It's great because you can put things like ^^^^ that or a plugin a chiller box for the beach, etc. The car has a factory option of a 230V socket but that's basically putting a 12V to 230V and so is only ~120W max

Back
Top Bottom