Skoda

Soldato
Had a quick sit in a new Octavia vRS estate early. Thought it was very nice, though felt a bit dark with the black headlining. Perhaps a sunroof would be a good option?

Which broker did you use for your quote booyaka?

Soldato
There just isn't the discount at the moment.
It's a new car, no stock, all built to order and plenty of orders going in. No need to offer discounts at the moment.

Soldato
I'll be servicing my dad's 04 Skoda Octavia 1.9tdi this weekend.

A little research has said it's best to buy the oil+filter+sump plug from Skoda. Do most dealerships that do servicing have a parts desk?

I know Ford usually do, but never dealt with Skoda. And is this true that it's best to buy from Skoda? Apparently they are pretty cheap...

Soldato
Thanks

I have a Skoda dealer near by, so will take a trip on my way home. Are they competent enough to find the parts if you just give them the engine and year? (don't know the registration plate or part numbers)

Soldato
I was offered a tidy mk1 Octavia VRS at a great price a few days ago. But it had an issue with the power steering. And I couldn't tell whether it was leaking from the high pressure (I think) hose, the pump, or somewhere worse.
From the little that I can gather (doesn't seem to be much info on the internets) a rack replacement is fairly common?, and they have a very complex steering system? (this was my fear, and would have made for a very expensive and time consuming toy). It's still available, and I'm tempted. But the steering system seems rather complex. Anyone have any experience?.

Soldato
I was offered a tidy mk1 Octavia VRS at a great price a few days ago. But it had an issue with the power steering. And I couldn't tell whether it was leaking from the high pressure (I think) hose, the pump, or somewhere worse.
From the little that I can gather (doesn't seem to be much info on the internets) a rack replacement is fairly common?, and they have a very complex steering system? (this was my fear, and would have made for a very expensive and time consuming toy). It's still available, and I'm tempted. But the steering system seems rather complex. Anyone have any experience?.

Its a completely conventional PAS system, and in the Golf world at least, they just dont break.

If you really wanted you could put a faster TT rack on there.

Would you be doing the work yourself?

If youre getting an Octavia as a toy then you should think about the completely worn out suspension, as that will stop your toy being as much fun

Soldato
Had a quick sit in a new Octavia vRS estate early. Thought it was very nice, though felt a bit dark with the black headlining. Perhaps a sunroof would be a good option?

Which broker did you use for your quote booyaka?

Sorry for slow response. Got a quote from carfile. Approx 5% off list price is about as good as it gets at the moment. They put me in touch with a dealer down south somethere (will dig out the name of the garage later when home but think it was Rainworth Skoda)

Dealers usually have around 14% margin to play with. However due to 0% finance offer this cuts around 6-7% off their margins. So a further 5% off it really cutting it to the bare bones.

Build week has move up one week, should get built next couple of weeks sometime and then approx 3 weeks to dealers from there. Early November I suspect.

Soldato
Its a completely conventional PAS system, and in the Golf world at least, they just dont break.

If you really wanted you could put a faster TT rack on there.

Would you be doing the work yourself?

If youre getting an Octavia as a toy then you should think about the completely worn out suspension, as that will stop your toy being as much fun

I would be doing most of the work myself yep. And suspension would have course be a concern when buying the car too. But my main fear was the power steering leak. Seemed mighty suspect.

Soldato
It's rare they even leak
I'd put a small bet on it just being a damaged or loose hose

If you're DIY and you're familiar with what's down there you could do it in a morning. Hardest part would be getting tie rods out. To remove the rack you do need to get the subframe down but the engine won't have te be supported. Rack is then held in place with four bolts

Win!

Soldato

My rack started leaking heavily internally and I was told that it wasn't really a serviceable item and would have to be replaced. I got it done at Skoda (I believe they use recon racks) and 14 months later it went again. Thankfully I got it done at the main dealers as they give a 24 month warranty on work :eek:

Both times it was literally piddling out power steering fluid from somewhere internally within the rack and coming out where the piston bit comes out.

Last edited:
Soldato
Got up this morning to find some mischevious tyke has slashed my front tyres, bit miffed to say the least.

On a positive note it gives me the opportunity to get some better tyres for my Fabia vRS as the current ones (Dunlop Sport Maxx) are/were as noisy as hell. Can anyone recommend me some 205/40/R17?

I've seen people mention:

Avon ZZ5
Uniroyal Rainsport 2

I'm probably going to change the whole lot (got the green light from the long haired general) as well.

Associate
Got up this morning to find some mischevious tyke has slashed my front tyres, bit miffed to say the least.

On a positive note it gives me the opportunity to get some better tyres for my Fabia vRS as the current ones (Dunlop Sport Maxx) are/were as noisy as hell. Can anyone recommend me some 205/40/R17?

Avon ZZ5
Uniroyal Rainsport 2

I'm probably going to change the whole lot (got the green light from the long haired general) as well.

I think i will be putting Rainsport 2's on my vRS next time around.I was lucky to have ContiSportContact 2's fitted,and not the Dunlops.

Soldato
Call from the dealers - should be able to pick up my new vRS estate on Friday!! Also they will hold the p/x value on my 5 series from 3 months ago. Impressed with their service again.

5 years I've had the BMW and will be sad to see it go, but £75 a month less in payment terms, £200 a year less in road tax, £150 a year cheaper to insure makes sense just now.

Will miss the ridiculous poke that the 530D had, but i'm doing more mileage with work etc so had to consider the economical side of things as well.

Excited muchly!

Soldato

Avon ZZ5
Uniroyal Rainsport 2

I'm trying to replace mine of the same size.

With the two tyres you've mentioned, I've never seen the Avons in a review against premium tyres, so unsure about them. However, the Uniroyal Rainsports have just been replaced with Rainsport 3's I thought?

I'm looking at, in preference order -

Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's - However finding stock is seemingly difficult
Pirelli P Zero Nero - But finding it tough to find first hand views of them
Conti Sport Contact 5's

When they are all only ~ £100 a tyre, I can't see why you would pick a cheaper, lesser tyre.

Soldato
Did some quotes last night for insurance for new vRS. Ended up with Churchill full comp, with breakdown cover (free), courtesy car free, £0 voluntary excess, business use etc. £234 less £45 cashback from topcashback! What's not to like even more about it!!

Associate
I'm trying to replace mine of the same size.

With the two tyres you've mentioned, I've never seen the Avons in a review against premium tyres, so unsure about them. However, the Uniroyal Rainsports have just been replaced with Rainsport 3's I thought?

I'm looking at, in preference order -

Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2's - However finding stock is seemingly difficult
Pirelli P Zero Nero - But finding it tough to find first hand views of them
Conti Sport Contact 5's

When they are all only ~ £100 a tyre, I can't see why you would pick a cheaper, lesser tyre.

Shortly before I got my Octy Vrs Mk2, I had a Fabia Vrs - The torque from the 1.9ltr engine was incredible.

I had Sport Contacts on mine, but was looking for something to handle the torque and grip the road better - In the end I opted for Toyo Proxxes T1-R and found them incredible to be honest - Was a world of difference between them and the SC that were on there previously. Suffice to say, there were not as good in the rain or snow, and didn't last very long at all but that's the by-product of tyres that grip the road....

Back
Top Bottom