Skoda

Associate
yeah they said they will call me once the car is in the country to sort the paperwork out. Really impressed with the customer service I('ve received so far. Hopefully this continues! :D

Soldato
yeah they said they will call me once the car is in the country to sort the paperwork out. Really impressed with the customer service I('ve received so far. Hopefully this continues! :D

Indeed -same with me -1st class service from start to finish with Skoda.

Bought the wife a car the other day (Nissan Juke - don't ask - not my choice by any means). Customer service was average at best, 2 year old Juke was the best they could "find" for a test drive, and it was a petrol despite wanting to drive the diesel. Not the best experience but got a good deal on the car in the end.

Soldato
Have just ordered a Octavia Elegance TDI. Funnily enough I found we were struggling fitting newborn twins + pram into a Citreon DS3! Dealer is saying 11 week lead time on the car, but I expect that might slip a bit.

Caporegime
Hello,

A mk1 octavia vrs estate has popped up local to me. 77k, 03 plate. With an asking of £1800. This seems well priced, but it's been modified! Remap, alloys and some daft grille. Should this put me off? Is it a good price? Also the belts on these, are they every 60k?

Soldato
Hello,

A mk1 octavia vrs estate has popped up local to me. 77k, 03 plate. With an asking of £1800. This seems well priced, but it's been modified! Remap, alloys and some daft grille. Should this put me off? Is it a good price? Also the belts on these, are they every 60k?

60k or every 4 years on the belts.

Remap... depends on the map as to whether it would put me off. Alloys are easily swapped, also means you can get some proper 17" vRS wheels on there rather than the 16" ones the estate got. Grille is probably a Milotec (sp?) one that will get you more back from selling than a stock one from a scrap yard.

Price seems good. To put it in perspective a year and a half ago I sold my 2002 one with 114k on the clock and many issues that needed sorting and people were quick to shout me down for only getting £1200 at auction.

Caporegime
60k or every 4 years on the belts.

Remap... depends on the map as to whether it would put me off. Alloys are easily swapped, also means you can get some proper 17" vRS wheels on there rather than the 16" ones the estate got. Grille is probably a Milotec (sp?) one that will get you more back from selling than a stock one from a scrap yard.

Price seems good. To put it in perspective a year and a half ago I sold my 2002 one with 114k on the clock and many issues that needed sorting and people were quick to shout me down for only getting £1200 at auction.

Advert here - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...make/SKODA/model/octavia/price-to/2000/page/1

Shall go test drive it, I think. He's phoning back tomorrow ref service history, belt changes and tyres. Do these have any expensive issues? Turbo I'd assume 'blows up' eventually?

The grille and headlight eyebrows make me sick, as do the wheels. I'd rather have the oem 16s!

It's at that price though, where I don't need to worry it'll be a work horse that I can worry about less.

Soldato
OP
Grill is wrong. Wheels look perfectly acceptable to me, if i was to change my 17" Spiders i'd be going for something like those.

Looks in overall good condition (from what can be seen via poor resolution pics!). Interior looks pretty clean!

Cost wise.. i paid £190 to have the cambelt/water pump etc changed over and i service the car myself (<£100 all in). They are not hugely expensive to maintain and share many, many parts with equivilent Golf/A3/Leon.

At that age i'd be checking the PCV system (pipes corrode, split and cause poor running). You can also call up Skoda to see if the coilpacks have been changed under recall. If they are genuine and an old revision, they will swap them over FOC.

Only thing to be aware of on the Estate is rust on the tailgate - they are prone to it around the rear boot handle IIRC.

Soldato
Thought I'd post some pictures of my Fabia finally, especially as I'm now selling it !

med_gallery_77607_1199_1194387.jpg

med_gallery_77607_1199_1891470.jpg

med_gallery_77607_1199_2044930.jpg

med_gallery_77607_1199_1464436.jpg

Caporegime
Grill is wrong. Wheels look perfectly acceptable to me, if i was to change my 17" Spiders i'd be going for something like those.

Looks in overall good condition (from what can be seen via poor resolution pics!). Interior looks pretty clean!

Cost wise.. i paid £190 to have the cambelt/water pump etc changed over and i service the car myself (<£100 all in). They are not hugely expensive to maintain and share many, many parts with equivilent Golf/A3/Leon.

At that age i'd be checking the PCV system (pipes corrode, split and cause poor running). You can also call up Skoda to see if the coilpacks have been changed under recall. If they are genuine and an old revision, they will swap them over FOC.

Only thing to be aware of on the Estate is rust on the tailgate - they are prone to it around the rear boot handle IIRC.

Nice, shall look up the PCV system - no idea what that is.

That's not bad, did you do the cambelt yourself? Costs are pretty decent really, as if I needed to do the cambelt I would do it myself.

Rust doesn't bother me too much at this kind of price range, I would get round to sorting it out myself. Performance estates just don't seem to exist at this price range apart from the Skodas!

Edit - And yes, that grille is bloody horrible. Shall be looking for a replacement ASAP!

Hmm also, not that I'm overly fussed what is the mpgzzz like? I'd imagine 30s for normal driving and high 30s for motorway driving?

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Mid 30's realistically on a steady run, car computer will tell you more though. Cambelt was done by a friend so would be a tad more at a garage.

PCV system is just the oil breather pipes, commonly known as Y-Pipe and lower PCV pipe. Silicone replacements are less than £60 all in as a pair. Other things to note would be a jet-engine type sound for first 2-3mins of running (google 1.8T SAI pump) and Oil Pickup pipe clogging up.

Caporegime
Mid 30's realistically on a steady run, car computer will tell you more though. Cambelt was done by a friend so would be a tad more at a garage.

PCV system is just the oil breather pipes, commonly known as Y-Pipe and lower PCV pipe. Silicone replacements are less than £60 all in as a pair. Other things to note would be a jet-engine type sound for first 2-3mins of running (google 1.8T SAI pump) and Oil Pickup pipe clogging up.

Yeah the old man would do the cambelt, hopefully it isn't as complicated as the Clio (doubtful!!)

Mid 30's I can handle, lower than the Clio but then it's a heavier car.

Nice one, doesn't sound expensive to repair even if it does come to it then. Thanks very much.

Soldato
Why are you selling it?

My wife's health isn't particularly fantastic, and is taking a turn for the worse. She is really reliant on mobility aids, and our replacement vehicle is big enough to cope with one mounted on the rear, much like a bike rack.

Other than that, its actually been a really good car. Great blend of economy and performance.

Associate
My wife's health isn't particularly fantastic, and is taking a turn for the worse. She is really reliant on mobility aids, and our replacement vehicle is big enough to cope with one mounted on the rear, much like a bike rack.

Other than that, its actually been a really good car. Great blend of economy and performance.

Have read your post on Briskoda.net :)

Soldato
Goodo :)

I've got a habit of changing cars regularly, I think the 2 years 3 months I've had this is the second longest (longest being my S2000, for 2 years 10 months) so that can't be a bad sign. The shortest time is a mere 6 months !

Soldato
mmm was so close to buying a VRS (although wasn't sure whether 2008 or a nearly new 2011) - but with the 2010/2011 models being 14k+ I've been tempted with a new style ST for a few k more

can't decide - 2 year old VRS @ 14-5 or a 2012 plate Focus ST @ 17

decisions decisions

Soldato
Advert here - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...make/SKODA/model/octavia/price-to/2000/page/1

Shall go test drive it, I think. He's phoning back tomorrow ref service history, belt changes and tyres. Do these have any expensive issues? Turbo I'd assume 'blows up' eventually?

The grille and headlight eyebrows make me sick, as do the wheels. I'd rather have the oem 16s!

It's at that price though, where I don't need to worry it'll be a work horse that I can worry about less.
Those wheels look fine. I'd certainly not be embarrassed running those while keeping an eye out for a set of OEM Spiders.

The grille looks like a home made effort. They took out the chrome and slatted inner sections and meshed it up. Fit for the bin really but a complete one from a breakers is an easy swap over. The light eyebrows... I'd be pulling them off before driving it away :p

Other wise a very clean looking car though. Bargain if it all stacks up on the test drive.

I keep thinking about getting another one, not sure if I'd get a vRS or a standard TSi model.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Those wheels look fine. I'd certainly not be embarrassed running those while keeping an eye out for a set of OEM Spiders.

The grille looks like a home made effort. They took out the chrome and slatted inner sections and meshed it up. Fit for the bin really but a complete one from a breakers is an easy swap over. The light eyebrows... I'd be pulling them off before driving it away :p

Other wise a very clean looking car though. Bargain if it all stacks up on the test drive.

I keep thinking about getting another one, not sure if I'd get a vRS or a standard TSi model.

Yeah how they thought that looks good is beyond me! Hoping the alloys look better in the flesh. Just hoping it's easy enough to get rid of the clio if I do like the VRS. Really is the best estate I can find for under 5k.

This being so much under makes it a no brainer really.

No idea why the dealer has even kept them on, or why he hasn't replaced the grille either! Madness.

Back
Top Bottom