Skoda

Soldato
Yeah how they thought that looks good is beyond me! Hoping the alloys look better in the flesh. Just hoping it's easy enough to get rid of the clio if I do like the VRS. Really is the best estate I can find for under 5k.

This being so much under makes it a no brainer really.

No idea why the dealer has even kept them on, or why he hasn't replaced the grille either! Madness.

Profit margin is small on cars of that value. They want to wipe a wet rag over it and send it off to its new owner, anything else is money out of their pocket.

They do seem a nice compromise of space, price and performance.

Soldato
So I'm considering a Skoda Superb 2002ish for in 4 months time as I might be working somewhere a little further from home and I need something bigger really anyway. I get 40mpg on the motorway in my ZS, is a 1.9TDI a good shout? The V6 diesel sounds tempting but all the extra costs would add up a bit.

Edit forgot to say it would be 70 miles a day, so is a diesel worth it over a 1.8T, 2.0 petrol or something?

Caporegime
Profit margin is small on cars of that value. They want to wipe a wet rag over it and send it off to its new owner, anything else is money out of their pocket.

They do seem a nice compromise of space, price and performance.

Yes the do seem very good, the only other car I can see in a decent price range is the newer Skoda VRs. But there all similar mileage for 5-6k.

Doesn't have FSH, no idea on belts, no receipts for the remap or any other work done.

Hmm alarm bells are ringing...

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Does it need to have FSH? Service it yourself, change the cam belt and just use it. They are throw away money now and make good money back in parts if they break beyond economical repair, which is rare.

Caporegime
Does it need to have FSH? Service it yourself, change the cam belt and just use it. They are throw away money now and make good money back in parts if they break beyond economical repair, which is rare.

I have been thinking about it though, and he did say the price can be sorted out to take into consideration. I did admire his honesty, which is rare.

I have also looked around and they are all £4-500 more expensive than this example with more miles. It's rather tempting, just need to punt the Clio somehow.

Soldato
I think I'd take a risk at that price if it drove well. My one didn't have a service history as I got fed up with inept garages and started doing as much of the work as I could myself.

Soldato
Theres an interesting black estate on Briskoda that has been for sale for what looks like forever. Problem for you is it is on the south coast !

He started at 2200 and its now down to 1600. Looks ok, but it probably needs a bit of work. But in reality, what 1600 quid car doesn't? can't be many.

Caporegime
Theres an interesting black estate on Briskoda that has been for sale for what looks like forever. Problem for you is it is on the south coast !

He started at 2200 and its now down to 1600. Looks ok, but it probably needs a bit of work. But in reality, what 1600 quid car doesn't? can't be many.

My location is wrong, I acctually live on the south coast!

I think I seen that one, 110k mileage? Looks pretty tatty though, but then it's £1600!

Soldato
Exactly. I thought the interior looked fine.

He's desperate to sell, so id go in with 1200 cash and spend the difference on tyres/service/etc

Associate
Well my ownership of vRS didn't last too long, had a momentarily lapse before Christmas into the back of a stopped car on a slip lane and the vRS is no more :(!

Negotiating a payout with the Insurer's at the moment and will probably look at a 2.5T Mondeo or 2.5 Mazda 6 as my next car.

Gutted to lose it as really enjoyed driving it, but I don't want to buy another one and constantly compare it!

Associate
Well my ownership of vRS didn't last too long, had a momentarily lapse before Christmas into the back of a stopped car on a slip lane and the vRS is no more :(!

Negotiating a payout with the Insurer's at the moment and will probably look at a 2.5T Mondeo or 2.5 Mazda 6 as my next car.

Gutted to lose it as really enjoyed driving it, but I don't want to buy another one and constantly compare it!

Sorry to hear that! hope Insurance payout goes through smoothy. Maybe give its some time before the vRS urge returns :D

Associate
Sorry to hear that! hope Insurance payout goes through smoothy. Maybe give its some time before the vRS urge returns :D

Had a bit of a result with the claim actually. Didn't mention it above, but someone else actually hit me after the initial incident and the blame is being left with them as the driver in front hasn't claimed against me. I am still awaiting official confirmation that their insurance company has accepted fault, but looking very likely they will.

Was about to hire a car from Enterprise at the weekend, but had some brilliant customer service that enabled me to obtain a hire car for free. This was through the other car's insurance, even though mines already been written off (apparently you can claim up to 7 days after accepting compensation). Picked up a Vauxhall Insignia 1.8 Petrol from them this morning, which will do for the time being, but obviously not a touch on the vRS. I have to say the seats are horrible uncomfortable and the steering is very light & overly assisted, but it's only a hire car afterall :)

Regarding the cars I test drove...The Mondeo was a Ghia trim and hated the interior with a passion and the Mazda engine wasn't inspiring at all, as much as the looks were great.

Think I've been spolt by the vRS comfort, performance, brakes etc! As a result, had a think about it and decided that I'd start looking for a FL version. Popped into Skoda yesterday and they found one which was coming in shortly, which looks ideal, so hopefully will speak to them about it today!

Associate
Sounds about right. I bought mine at 50k miles and it had already been done, which was a bonus.

Let me know if that issue is definitely the PCV valve! You'll probably find my forum posts on the briskoda about it as someone else diagnosed it for me, before the garage confirmed it :). It's quite a common issue with the vRS

Took a while as I've not had time to put it in, but it turned out that it was both the oxygen sensor and idle control valve. They fixed the sensor first and it was improved but still not right, then I got it back yesterday with a new idle control valve and it's all good :)

Associate
Took a while as I've not had time to put it in, but it turned out that it was both the oxygen sensor and idle control valve. They fixed the sensor first and it was improved but still not right, then I got it back yesterday with a new idle control valve and it's all good :)

Ah right, glad to hear you got it sorted! How much did that set you back?

On a side note, I've put a deposit down on a Metallic Blue 09 vRS and going to pick up from Skoda on Saturday. Can't wait to be back in the vRS :)

Associate
Ah right, glad to hear you got it sorted! How much did that set you back?

On a side note, I've put a deposit down on a Metallic Blue 09 vRS and going to pick up from Skoda on Saturday. Can't wait to be back in the vRS :)

Yeah it's lovely not to have an orange light on my dash all the time! Got it sorted under warranty, so free :)

Bet you must be well excited! I do really like the blue ones, would have had one over a black if I could find one nearby when I looked.

Associate
Yeah it's lovely not to have an orange light on my dash all the time! Got it sorted under warranty, so free :)

Bet you must be well excited! I do really like the blue ones, would have had one over a black if I could find one nearby when I looked.

Bit of a bonus :)

Looking forward to it, although I've had a Seat Leon FR as a hire car this week, which i've thoroughly enjoyed :p Black was my 2nd choice, but I'm travelling about 3 hours to go and get this one!

Associate
Bit of a bonus :)

Looking forward to it, although I've had a Seat Leon FR as a hire car this week, which i've thoroughly enjoyed :p Black was my 2nd choice, but I'm travelling about 3 hours to go and get this one!

Planning any mods to it? I would like to get a remap sometime this year and then a K04 conversion at... some point :D

Does the Leon drive quite similarly?

Associate
Planning any mods to it? I would like to get a remap sometime this year and then a K04 conversion at... some point :D

Does the Leon drive quite similarly?

I was planning on maybe getting a Stage 1 remap for my old 06 plate in the summer. That's the only modification I'd get, however. I love the way it drives as standard, so I've no real need for them :)

The Leon is a Diesel, so naturally it's got great torque low end and shifts well, much like the Petrol vRS I had. The interior is great, is really comfortable and quite similar to the vRS, although obviously it's part of the VAG group as well. The grip is very good, probably better as it's much lighter than the vRS, however the facelift vRS has had the suspension dropped slightly and a few other tweaks, which should improve this. They gave me one in the green colour, which suprisingly, I really like :cool:.

I had an Insignia last week, so the Leon feels a million miles better. That was a 1.8 Petrol that did 33mpg and had absolutely 0 power or steering feel! The power was so poor that I literally didn't want to overtake anyone on the A-roads! The seats I found uncomfortable, no foot rest for when in cruise etc. Just a lot of little things I really disliked about it, but the steering was definitely the worst bit.

Associate
Didn't realise the facelift vRS had suspension changes, thought it was just cosmetic.

Surprised the Insignia was uncomfortable too, would have expected a big car like that to be pretty nice for cruising. Post up some pics of your vRS when you get it :)

Back
Top Bottom