Skoda

Soldato
Just experienced the start/stop today. Felt really weird being sat in the car without the engine off but it sprang to life as soon as I touched the clutch....

Also noticed the the right tailpipe is just a dummy with no silencer behind it.

Last edited:
Associate
After 3 days of driving it (only 200 miles total) here's my 1st thoughts; VRS TSi Hatch Octavia 220bhp.

I've been enjoying Android Auto - It's far from perfect but once it's working it seems to do I what I want it to....it definitely needs more apps and you can tell it's in its infancy with the occasional crash and deciding it doesn't want to work with you phone all of a sudden. It's worked more often than not though. Phoning people is a joy to use compared to the old system in Focus and apparently I'm very clear on the other side.

As for the car itself, I noticed the slight push it gives me off a hill start which is cool, no more rolling back when lazy clutch control :)

Lane assistance is a novelty when you fancy stretching both arms up and / or eating a pack of crisps.

Canton sound system I'm happy with (It's certainly an upgrade) needs more bedding in time though - some genres sound much better than others at the moment.

Parking sensors are great (have front and rear), especially with the diagram of how close I am, still finding I have a bit more space than it's letting on (better than hitting anything I guess).

The bi-Xenon lights are fantastic, love the little calibration dance it does on boot-up. I can finally see everything including to the side of me on country lanes.

Screen washers actually spray on the whole screen and wipers leave no residue (it's the little things).

Seats are comfy and the positioning is good - I have long legs / short torso so always been an issue that I've needed the steering wheel to come fully out over my lap whilst the seat is positioned quite far back but this seems to cater for it (including room for passenger behind me).

Boot is massive - probably going to get a Hatchbag for biking rather than roof rack, - looks like it could swallow a MTB fairly easily - like the boot tidy and anchor points for tying things down. Rear 12v point is handy for pump etc and the easy fold seats down lever works well.

I've yet to properly test the engine properly, been driving it in until I hit around 700 miles or so. I did have to boot it once as no-one was letting me out of junction and my word, it can shift, also haven't hard to properly test braking but there seems to be a good amount of feel and stopping power without dislodging a lung.

Few things I need to test; in car settings; tweaking etc, cruise control, heated windscreen/ washer / seats / demisting ability, Sat Nav (properly), traction control -longer journey comfort, actual MPG (this will take a few thousand miles granted).

Think that's it for now :)

Soldato
Just experienced the start/stop today. Felt really weird being sat in the car without the engine off but it sprang to life as soon as I touched the clutch....
I found start/stop with a manual gearbox annoying to use - having to engage neutral to stop and then back into 1st gear each time. It's much more seamless with an auto.

Associate
These do look nice, will have to have a look at an estate in the flesh.

Not sure if intentional but you left the plate in the pics this time.

FTM

FTM

Soldato

Also noticed the the right tailpipe is just a dummy with no silencer behind it.

if you have the petrol both tailpipes are active, diesel only 1

Soldato
So tempted by one of these to replace my Passat, looking at 2nd hand ones, none seem to have the varible floor, meaning there is a drop of an inch or two at the boot lid making loading not impossible but possible pain in the ass.

Kimbie

Caporegime
So a Mk1 VRS estate has came up for sale local. Looking for 2000Euro (well 2200, but 2000 is my max). I'd be able to sell my currently hated Pajero for about the same.

But is there a buying guide for one about? Or anything I should look for? 2001, estate 110k

It is expensive, but the market is weird over here and I'll sell it for the same price I bought it in a couple of years time.

Soldato
I got it on a 2 year lease in the end. I had intended to buy it cash but decided last minuite i did not want to risk so much as i have never had a Skoda before. The lease cost is actually less than the depriciation at the moment which is pretty cool.

I will either buy this one as i have been told its possible or order a new one at the end of the lease as the car is fantastic.

Caporegime
Having had a look around one that had just arrived when I picked up my Octavia, the new Superb looks like a great car. Hopefully there will be some decent lease/PCP deals around in 18 months when I look to change.

Soldato
I got it on a 2 year lease in the end. I had intended to buy it cash but decided last minuite i did not want to risk so much as i have never had a Skoda before. The lease cost is actually less than the depriciation at the moment which is pretty cool.

I will either buy this one as i have been told its possible or order a new one at the end of the lease as the car is fantastic.

Yeah I've got the MK2 VRS and it's great, but mine is very low spec. When the time comes to get rid of this, I could be sorely temped by the mk3 vrs on lease.

How much are you paying if you don't mine me asking?

Soldato
Yeah I've got the MK2 VRS and it's great, but mine is very low spec. When the time comes to get rid of this, I could be sorely temped by the mk3 vrs on lease.

How much are you paying if you don't mine me asking?

£1950 deposit and £184 a month....

Just put it through my local ARC car wash. Was a bit scared but all ok and it did a decent job..... :)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom