Skoda

Soldato
So, is anyone else interested in the Kodiaq?

The new Audi A4 Avant is very much at the top of my list at the moment as a replacement for my Audi S1, but the Kodiaq has definitely caught my attention.

It's "only" 4.7m long but has a boot capacity of 720 litres with the seats up. This makes it 15.6cm shorter than the Superb Estate. The cabin looks as a good as a VW Golf/Tiguan (which isn't my favourite, but most people seem to like it), and it's set to undercut all of its rivals. It's just a shame that it won't be on UK roads until April 2017.

I read a rumour that a certain dealer near Northampton are getting a left-hand drive Kodiaq in November, so I've emailed them to see if it's true.

Caporegime
You have to compare apples to apples though. The Kodiaq has a lot more vertical height in the boot, so while the capacity in litres sounds impressive, it likely wont be as useful as the Superb Estate which has a longer boot floor.

Still, if you regularly fill up a boot that size to the point where you cant cram anything more in, you should probably buy a van :D

Soldato
You have to compare apples to apples though. The Kodiaq has a lot more vertical height in the boot, so while the capacity in litres sounds impressive, it likely wont be as useful as the Superb Estate which has a longer boot floor.

Still, if you regularly fill up a boot that size to the point where you cant cram anything more in, you should probably buy a van :D

I only need the boot floor to be 1.75m long with the seats down for my mountain bike, which is why I've been looking at estates. The cubic capacity isn't that important to me.

Associate
I visited my local dealer yesterday for a replacement door seal. Also needed two new front tyres which the price matched to online price I found.

So now driving around with Conti Sport Contact 5's for less than my local dealer wanted to originally charge.

Can't be bad :)

Associate
Posted this in the "Show your motors" thread on the weekend, but totally forgot about the Skoda thread...

Replaced my facelift MK2 Octavia VRS TSI in Race Blue a couple of weeks ago, with the newer MK3 version and a massive list of extra kit I didn't have before. Took a few quick phone pics following a wash over the weekend.

Bought approved used, it is a 63 plate TSI DSG with 15k on the clock, 1 previous owner. Fortunately for me, the original owner didn't hold back with the options list:

Cruise Control (was still an option on earlier MYs)
Front sensors
Park Assist
High Beam Assist
Columbus 8" Nav with Colour Maxidot display
Canton Sound system
Winter Pack - Heated screen, washer nozzles + front seats
Front Assist
Crew Protection Pack
Spare Wheel
Black Pack

In addition to all the standard fit stuff; Bluetooth, Climate, Auto Adaptive Xenons, Auto Wipers, Rear sensors, Lane assist etc.

Had it a month and put about 1.5k on it in this time. Enjoyed my MK2 FL TSI for it's all round capabilities and this new one builds on that further with a lot more tech and kit. Columbus nav and Canton sound system are great. Winter pack has proved itself useful following the cold weather we are seeing now.

Soldato
OP
Kodiaq looks great. I went to a dealer to test drive a MK2 vRS and he was telling me mpg they were going to start st £21,000. Not sure how accurate that info is though!

Soldato
I have had my VRS for 8 months now and tbh I would not have another. It's a nice car but I don't find it comfy it's too stiff every bump is transmitted through the chassis. The panels are also very thin so it dinks easily. It also has thin paint so chips easy....

I think i will look at the Kodiaq or even a different brand for my next car. Something comfy that I can waft along in and my back will appreciate...

Associate
Have they sorted the Carbon Build up issues on the new skodas?

I've just had to have a new Intake Manifold due to it being knackered. cost me a fair few $$$$ :(

This was a common issue on the MK2 2.0 TSI, though with the Gen 3 EA888 TSI they have extra injectors to specifically address the carbon build up, by spraying fuel onto the intake valves. This only applies to Euro models though, those with this engine in North America don't get the MPI. Not sure if it eradicates the issue completely, I guess only time will tell.

Soldato
This was a common issue on the MK2 2.0 TSI, though with the Gen 3 EA888 TSI they have extra injectors to specifically address the carbon build up, by spraying fuel onto the intake valves. This only applies to Euro models though, those with this engine in North America don't get the MPI. Not sure if it eradicates the issue completely, I guess only time will tell.

Great, thanks for the info . Mine is a 2010 2.0 tsi. Was gutted when it started playing up :(

Associate
My mk2 tsi had 78k on it when it left my ownership, but I only had a couple of minor issues and no sign of the carbon buildup / intake manifold issue. One was the N80 solenoid valve (quite common), and the other was a clutch release bearing, but both sorted under approved used warranty. It did seem to have a thirst for oil too, but was deemed under the ridiculously high tolerance level that VAG suggest is OK.

The main one that was a worry after the warranty had expired was the Chain Cam Tensioner issue, which presumably you will be aware of? Worst case scenario it's a new engine/major engine rebuild.

Hopefully the MK3 TSI will be more robust!

Soldato
I have had my VRS for 8 months now and tbh I would not have another. It's a nice car but I don't find it comfy it's too stiff every bump is transmitted through the chassis. The panels are also very thin so it dinks easily. It also has thin paint so chips easy....

I think i will look at the Kodiaq or even a different brand for my next car. Something comfy that I can waft along in and my back will appreciate...

I've had my vRS for 3 years now and I've found the ride to be excellent, no issues here. However I agree with regards the paint, very very thin. Got a couple of spots around the boot lip/rear bumper where the paint has just flaked off almost.

Going back shortly - Golf GTI DSG due to arrive any time!:D

Soldato
I've had my vRS for 3 years now and I've found the ride to be excellent, no issues here. However I agree with regards the paint, very very thin. Got a couple of spots around the boot lip/rear bumper where the paint has just flaked off almost.

Going back shortly - Golf GTI DSG due to arrive any time!:D

I had a ride in a Superb a few days back and it was so comfy and smooth compared to my VRS. Everyone who has been in my car say it is very bumpy and crashy... Maybee they fitted super hard springs to mine... :)

Associate
I'm on the verge of getting a vRS. Being in the military and living overseas does have its perks! We can get brand new cars tax free plus military discount on top. I've just priced up a brand new Octavia vRS which came in at just under £30k and with all discounts applied I could get it for just shy of £16,741 excluding all import/registration costs etc.

aditional extras include...

• KESSY - Keyless entry and start system
  • Rear side airbags
  • Heated windscreen
  • Sunset glass
  • Temporary space saver spare wheel
  • Black design package
  • Columbus touchscreen satellite navigation system with European maps and colour Maxi DOT computer
  • Wireless phone charging with Bluetooth+ and Wi-Fi
  • Electrically heated, adjustable and folding door mirrors - auto dimming
  • Front and rear heated seats
  • Canton sound system (10 speakers, digital equaliser, subwoofer)
  • SmartLink
  • Front assistant
  • Heated washer nozzles, front
  • Park distance control, front and rear
  • Crew Protection Assistant
  • Rear-view parking camera
  • High beam assistant

Im seriously tempted by this but I think I may have to convince the wife first :(

Associate
Bought a 13 plate Octavia Estate 1.6 Elegance a couple of months ago. Liking the car but the sat nav and bluetooth is beyond terrible.

The sat nav is just slow to load anything. The bluetooth is way worse. If I try to play podcasts from my phone through the car's bluetooth and have Google Maps on for navigation at the same time, every time a new sat nav direction is announced it dims the volume for a few seconds so all I hear is, 'please turn [silence] in 200 yards'! Can't work out for the life of me why this happens.

I also tried bypassing the bluetooth using the USB in but this doesn't work. It appears to detect something in the USB port, but fails to properly recognise it. Anybody know how to make the bluetooth work better? The phone is a Sammy Galaxy S7 Edge.

Soldato
Got a question about Android Auto and Google Maps I'm hoping someone can help me with.

I plug my Nexus 5X into my brand new Skoda Fabia Monte Carlo and can use Google Maps fine. However, something that annoys me about using maps is that as soon as you turn on your lights it goes into night mode. I can't see any option on either my phone or the head unit to change this. Obviously it's fine at night but if I'm driving during the day with my lights on I'd like to keep it on the normal day mode.

Soldato
Have they sorted the Carbon Build up issues on the new skodas?

I've just had to have a new Intake Manifold due to it being knackered. cost me a fair few $$$$ :(

My 2011 had to have a new Intake manifold too. It was just under 5yrs old when the warning light would no longer stay off when it was reset.
Managed to get 40% goodwill from Skoda on the replacement, but still wasn't cheap.
It's annoying as there is no service internal on that part, so it's designed to last the life of the vehicle. In the US VW have now put a 120k/10yr warranty on that part alone because it is a known issue - of course we don't get that here in the UK.

Back
Top Bottom