Skoda

Associate
Does the facelift vRS still suffer from the tyre sawtoothing issue of the Mk2 ?

I'm seriously contemplating one and would like to know some of the niggles!

That all black interior looks awesome, was never a fan of the white fronts to the seats

Soldato
[TW]Fox;21795596 said:
How do you know if its average or not without seeing it?

Wont go very far on 20 quid though, a vRS :(

I can see where he is coming from though. There are naff all mk1 vRS Octavias in the bum end of England and because we are a bit backward and don't have motorways if you find a car on autotrader that says it is 50 miles away it is probably nearer 70 minimum by the time you thread your way out of Norfolk.

When I bought my one I very nearly gave up and I was budgeting top money for a vrs at the time. Problem is they are so cheap now that they have fallen into the sub prime owners hands and a hell of a lot of them are sheddy now.

Sorry op, my one is not for sale at the moment!

Soldato
because we are a bit backward and don't have motorways if you find a car on autotrader that says it is 50 miles away it is probably nearer 70 minimum by the time you thread your way out of Norfolk.

I lived in Saxmundham, and went with my brother to Newcastle to buy a car! :p Point being don't let distance deter you.

Soldato
By the looks of the photos Phil you are still around Drayton?

seem to have missed this thread since it started, lovely looking motor. Tried talking the missus into getting one but she was put off by the badge :(

Silly :(

Soldato
I lived in Saxmundham, and went with my brother to Newcastle to buy a car! :p Point being don't let distance deter you.

I agree to a point but I think it is car dependant. I saw two **** vRS Octavias and an average one before I found one I was happy buying and these were <5 year old cars advertised as excellent condition. Now that the oldest ones are 11 years old and with trade values starting at around the £1000 mark there are plenty of ones to waste your time over. Slightly annoying when you've travelled for an hour to see it, blooming frustrating when you've just travelled for 3!

Associate
[TW]Fox;21795596 said:
How do you know if its average or not without seeing it?

Wont go very far on 20 quid though, a vRS :(

You can get a rough idea from the advert - you give enough criticism over them yourself so I thought you of all people should know cars to avoid from an advert you've read and how to interpret it.

and oddly enough these cars are reported to actually be quite economical considering the performance they have on tap.

My point is I don't mind travelling some distance if the car looks worth it but I'm not going to spend hundreds on fuel, just on the offchance it might be 'the one' if I am not completely convinced by the advert - I mean, if the seller can't put in the effort for a proper ad why should I make the effort to see the car.

Man of Honour
My point is I don't mind travelling some distance if the car looks worth it but I'm not going to spend hundreds on fuel, just on the offchance it might be 'the one' if I am not completely convinced by the advert - I mean, if the seller can't put in the effort for a proper ad why should I make the effort to see the car.

100% agree on this. This is partly why I am so ultra-fussy with things like tyre brands and number of owners. I want to be as close to certain as possible that it's the right car - if I am 90% sure the car is perfect I'd drive 600 miles to view it. If I wasn't sure I wouldn't go more than 40.

Soldato
OP
By the looks of the photos Phil you are still around Drayton?

seem to have missed this thread since it started, lovely looking motor. Tried talking the missus into getting one but she was put off by the badge :(

Silly :(

Yeah still live in MD.

No updates really, looking at possibly removing the CAI and replacing the air box with an additional air feed, tssscchh gets annoying after a few gear changes, sounds great when you're driving in a 'spirited' manner though.

Need to look at my front and rear bumper trims as they are a horrid black/grey/faded combo at the moment. Also need to re-paint the brakes now I've got my hands on the illusive hammerite smooth green.

Next on the list (modification wise) will be a remap I think, pretty much decided to go with R-Tech, toyed with the idea of getting a larger downpipe too but I'm going to hold that off for the time being.

Other than that I am enjoying it, few little bits to sort (Service, new brakes, couple of rattles that need to be looked at and a noisey wiper motor) but on the whole it's going really well :)

Associate
[TW]Fox;21806246 said:
100% agree on this. This is partly why I am so ultra-fussy with things like tyre brands and number of owners. I want to be as close to certain as possible that it's the right car - if I am 90% sure the car is perfect I'd drive 600 miles to view it. If I wasn't sure I wouldn't go more than 40.

Thanks

Soldato
Need to look at my front and rear bumper trims as they are a horrid black/grey/faded combo at the moment.

I gave up on my ongoing battle with mine, they would always come up a treat with AG Bumper snot but the results lasted less and less time. In the end I just swapped them for new ones, which were in typical Skoda fashion a "HOW MUCH?!" moment in the dealership!

I finally got round to sorting my knocking which was a front ARB droplink in the end and I'm 100% happy with it again. To think I was about to swap it for a Focus TDCi a few weeks back.... :o

Soldato
OP
Had a good look at the bumper trims today and the 'fading' is actually on top of the trims, if you scratch it with your fingernail it comes off so I'm going to have a look at scrubbing them up a bit, failing that I'm going to buy a tin of Plastidip.

Also bought this, old TIP was a bit tired (shallow cracks in places) so I was on the look out for a Silicone one. Randomly talking about vRS's over on another forum and the previous owner popped up recognising the car! We've spoken in the past (I tracked him down and called him) but this time he messages me and offered me a Silicone TIP that he never got round to fitting, cost him about £80 delivered, he let me have it for £50 posted.

2afe90db.jpg

Happy I've got it but I've heard they are buggers to fit so I'm expecting lots of swearing and cuts/bruises!

Soldato
Just stumbled across this by accident, a week ago I picked a 2011 Octavia Mk II for £11,000 from a local dealer, 7,400 mls on the clock, absolutely spotless, not a mark anywhere, in "cappacino", a sort of very pale coffee coloured silver metallic finish. Its a 1.4TSI SE versh, got a reasonable deal with parking sensors fitted with lights above the rear windsreen and audible warning too.
Very impressed with the overall build quality, feels like its built like a tank, very solid and while a bit short on kit, whats fitted is quality (ought to be its a VW basically). Oh and did I mention the boot?, more like Wooky hole (the cave not the ape:))
What surprises me is the engine, a 1.4 that makes 140ish bhp, 0-60 in 9.5 secs , tops out out at 125mph, and returns about 41-45 mpg.
Well happy with after having tried various cars out, this came out the best of the lot.
Would've like a VRs, but being an old fart, I don't need the extra performance and running costs.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Still haven't fitted the TIP, or the Coil Pack cover i bought from Liverpool-Lad. Still need to paint the brakes and i've just taken delivery of a reversing sensor kit.

Will do the reverse sensor kit this weekend depending on how the weather is :)

img4711hr.jpg

Caporegime
Test drove a 2008 MkII Octavia VRS yesterday. Was very impressed with the build quality and the performance.

I would buy it but it is in black and really i want race blue and it also doesnt have cruise or the maxidot ( its a 2008 so it has dual zone climate,18 inch alloys , rear electric windows e.t.c though)

Can't decide. :(

Soldato
Cruise Control is a very easy retrofit. Numerous people will do it for around the £200 mark, probably cheaper if you can source a couple of the parts yourself.
Maxidot is more difficult, you can buy Maxidot seperately, however that is in the £300 range and then you need to get it fitted/coded.

I owned a 56 plate vRS in Black and it's an absolute bugger to keep clean. You clean it, it looks the mut's nut's and then 10 miles down the road all the dirt is there and it looks a little "meh" again.
Black looks great when clean, less so when dirty.

Associate
Really nice example of a VRS you have there Phil W. I'm in the market for one of these now. I have a little one on the way and the VRS seems a great compromise for practicality and being able to have a little bit of performance under the right foot :)

Back
Top Bottom