Sky BB Confused

Associate
Hey there,

my friend has just got sky BB ( his activation date is tomorrow)

his setup goes

Phone line > sky tv box > router > wireless pc and all that

is it good for your internet to go trough your sky box

i am confused!! lol or is this hwo there seeing what you download ect lol

shed some light?:D

Soldato
My phoneline went nowhere near the Sky settop box when I was with Sky.

It is normally Phone > Router > Devices. Unless Sky are doing something new? Incidentally they can see all your traffic from their exchanges etc - no need to use your sky box!

Soldato
Just put a phone line into the provided modem, ensure all other points in the house are filtered with the provided adsl filters and it'll be fine.

My Sky box isn't connected to a phone line and hasn't been since we moved in, in fact it's no where near a phone line.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

The Sky box will connect to the modem via ethernet, to provide the extra features for Anytime+

Master socket > RJ11 cable > ADSL modem < Ethernet cable < Sky box

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Well, you could use homeplugs to connect the Sky box to the modem, if distance is a problem, or you don't have a home wired network.

Don't you have your ADSL router at the master socket?

Caporegime
It sounds like the double adaptor/extension lead for the Sky TV box is plugged into the socket first. Unplug it, put the filter directly into the socket first, modem into the DSL side, double adaptor into the phone side then phone into one of the sockets on the double adaptor and I prophecise a doubling of his internet speed, if not more.

Associate
Well, you could use homeplugs to connect the Sky box to the modem, if distance is a problem, or you don't have a home wired network.

Don't you have your ADSL router at the master socket?

I don't mean to hijack, but it's better than starting a new thread.

I have this issue whereby I want the features of Anytime+ but physically can't connect the box to my router.

I've had a look at the game adapter boxes that the likes of Belkin, Linksys etc make and they'd be perfect, but they just don't seem readily available.

Maybe I'm being stupid, but is it easy for a decent price to buy something that once set up to your wireless network for first time use, can just sit behind my Sky box, feed an ethernet cable to it and give it access to my wireless network that way?

Associate
From what you explained, it seems like an incorrect setup, or at least one that could cause intermittened connection, plug the filter directly into the socket, then bb, phone sky+ into the filter.

If the router is close to the sky+ box, connect an ethernet cable between them and take advantage of the anytime+ feature.

Caporegime
it will probably 'work' in that he'll get a connection, but he won't be running anywhere his potential maximum speed. With the training in process that Sky uses over the first 7-10 days he wants his setup spot on before that starts to get the best speed he can.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

You can ring sky technical support (ask to be put through to the customer solutions team) any time, including the first 7 days, and they can manually adjust your line speed.

This includes turning off the DLM / training on the line. I know, I've done it.

Soldato
Nah they would do it even then if u pester them enough, as they can do the DLM stuff themselves.

All DLM does is to find the best stable total error free speed for you both down/up. The techs can do this themeselves in less time, and generally can get you a faster speed, that is still within the given error margin, by that i mean it may show errors but not enough to cause issues.

Back
Top Bottom